Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 04:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
There are so many pre an magazines as to make that law useless. Why it was allowed to sunset.
I've got 150+ sitting on the shelf right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

The extra security measures is a backdoor start to banning guns altogether. The only reason it was voted down was because it takes away the right of those who are wrongly on that watchlist to legally purchase a firearm.

It's a slippery slope and I agree that measures need to be taken. But when a bill could potentially stifle the rights of citizens who have done nothing wrong, it must be carefully evaluated. It could be a slow erosion of people's rights and liberties and no one is going to allow the government to do that if there are other ways to stop the problem.
Its the republicans that threaten to one day fully ban guns in America. And today approximately 22% of Americans personally own a gun (gun owners don't even have the votes to keep guns legal.)
A minority of Americans own guns, but just how many is unclear | Pew Research Center

Gun ownership rates have been falling since the 1970's. And the only reason most Americans still own guns is because of our past way of life. Early Americans needed guns because there were no telephones, the police were miles away, and the police rode horses. And past Americans needed guns to hunt needed food when there were no refrigerators or super markets.

And even in my lifetime children have less exposure to guns. When I was a kid we rode bikes and shot BB/pellet guns, and when we got older we got shotguns and rifles. But today's kids play video games and shoot airsoft guns, and they don't grow up to get shotguns and rifles.

Point is personal gun ownership falls decade after decade to the point today 75%+ of Americans don't personally own a gun. And how do you think that 75%+ feels about mass murderers and terrorists killing large numbers of people with guns? ANSWER: Every shooting makes them dislike guns more and pass even more gun control laws on the state level.

More Than Half of Americans Now Have Tougher Gun Laws | Mother Jones

In order for guns to always remain legal gun owners must be responsible gun owners. But after large numbers of children are shot in schools republicans refuse to pass laws to stop it from happening again. And after mentally ill people kill people in movie theaters republicans refuse to pass laws to stop the mentally ill from buying guns. And when Muslim terrorists shoot people on military bases republicans refuse to pass laws to even stop terrorists from purchasing guns.

The above behavior is not that of responsible gun owners, and republicans take -0- action to stop guns from being used in mass murders and terrorist attacks.

Senate Republicans Just Blocked A Bunch Of Gun Control Measures
GOP blocks bill to stop terrorists from buying guns | MSNBC

In order to keep guns forever legal gun safety laws and regulations must be passed and enforced (before the day comes the 75%+ of Americans who don't own guns desire European like laws where guns are fully banned.)

But republicans don't practice responsible gun ownership or take measures to insure guns always remain legal. Instead the corporate backed republicans use guns as a political tool to get gun owners to vote for corporate and CEO tax cuts like these.

Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

More Than Half Of Jeb Bush's Proposed Tax Cuts Would Benefit The Top 1 Percent: Report

How Presidential Candidate Ted Cruz Would Radically Increase Taxes on Everyone But the Rich | Tax Justice Blog

Donald Trump's Tax Plan Would Make the Rich Richer, Uncle Sam Poorer - Fortune

Last edited by chad3; 06-14-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 PM

I made an error in my previous post by saying "today approximately 22% of Americans personally own a gun."

General Social Surveys say in 2010 22% of Americans personally owned a gun.
But Gallop Surveys say in 2010 29% of Americans personally owned a gun.

A minority of Americans own guns, but just how many is unclear | Pew Research Center

According to the above source approximately 22% to 29% of Americans personally owns a gun.

I apologize for posting inaccurate information I did not do it intentionally,
Chad.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
22% - 29% ADMIT to owning a gun. Suffice it to say many more own guns than will admit to it. With the current state of affairs and the push to ban guns, many people keep ownership quiet. It's a safe play. I don't personally know anyone (coworkers, family members, friends, etc..) who don't own at least one. I'd feel safe saying that gun ownership is much higher than any report is going to show.

No one has a blanket solution that will keep guns out of the hands of criminals while affording law abiding citizens the right to keep their guns. THIS is why no one wants to pass a bill. There will be innocent citizens tangled up in it. And if the folks pushing these bans ever get a foothold, who knows how far they could take it?

If every venue allowed the legal carry of firearms, criminals would make less of an attempt to act. A person isn't a criminal just because they carry a firearm. If they were going to do something unlawful a sign isn't going to stop them. All it does is ensure that the law-abiding citizens who normally carry will be unarmed. I personally wish that it were illegal to ban someone from bringing a weapon into a venue when they are a licensed owner. Those who don't possess a firearm would be better protected by those who do. They're not going to shoot you because you get into a disagreement. They're going to shoot you when you attempt to attack them or someone else.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:08 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I made an error in my previous post by saying "today approximately 22% of Americans personally own a gun."

General Social Surveys say in 2010 22% of Americans personally owned a gun.
But Gallop Surveys say in 2010 29% of Americans personally owned a gun.

According to the above source approximately 22% to 29% of Americans personally owns a gun.

I apologize for posting inaccurate information I did not do it intentionally,
Chad.
Oh, you know it's way more than that. So many have no serial number and owned by people that would never disclose they have one.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
22% - 29% ADMIT to owning a gun. Suffice it to say many more own guns than will admit to it. With the current state of affairs and the push to ban guns, many people keep ownership quiet. It's a safe play. I don't personally know anyone (coworkers, family members, friends, etc..) who don't own at least one. I'd feel safe saying that gun ownership is much higher than any report is going to show.
True, some gun owners will not admit they own guns due to fears of the government taking them. But there is one area of the surveys where people have no motive to withhold information, and that is family members of people who own guns.

37% of Americans say they or someone in their household owns a gun. And regardless of the inaccuracy of the gun surveys American gun owners are the minority.

Quote:
No one has a blanket solution that will keep guns out of the hands of criminals while affording law abiding citizens the right to keep their guns. THIS is why no one wants to pass a bill. There will be innocent citizens tangled up in it. And if the folks pushing these bans ever get a foothold, who knows how far they could take it?
Closing the gun show loopholes, better background checks, banning the military style weapons most chosen by mass murderers, and better healthcare for the mentally ill, ex.ex. will stop at least a few mass murders. And as far as law abiding citizens keeping guns our constitution and supreme court gives/gave them that right, and in America we hold our constitution in high regard.

And when republicans in Washington don't pass laws after mass murders and the public outrage they cause it makes matters worse because then states pass gun control laws on the state level. After the Newtown shooting many states passed new gun control laws and then 1/2 of Americans got tougher gun laws on the state level.

And since Washington forces states to handle gun control themselves we risk some states becoming somewhat like Europe in regards to guns. And now we have some states that won't even allow concealed carry, and if Washington would have handled the gun laws then perhaps today those states would still have legal concealed carry policies.

Quote:
If every venue allowed the legal carry of firearms, criminals would make less of an attempt to act. A person isn't a criminal just because they carry a firearm. If they were going to do something unlawful a sign isn't going to stop them. All it does is ensure that the law-abiding citizens who normally carry will be unarmed. I personally wish that it were illegal to ban someone from bringing a weapon into a venue when they are a licensed owner. Those who don't possess a firearm would be better protected by those who do. They're not going to shoot you because you get into a disagreement. They're going to shoot you when you attempt to attack them or someone else.
I agree and I wish every law abiding American carried a gun at all times, but how can you make all Americans carry guns?

People I know and myself have tried to get men and women we know to carry guns at certain times, and own guns for a feeling of extra security, but our attempts were unsuccessful.

Last edited by chad3; 06-15-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 02:32 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
True, some gun owners will not admit they own guns due to fears of the government taking them. But there is one area of the surveys where people have no motive to withhold information, and that is family members of people who own guns.

37% of Americans say they or someone in their household owns a gun. And regardless of the inaccuracy of the gun surveys American gun owners are the minority.

Closing the gun show loopholes, better background checks, banning the military style weapons most chosen by mass murders, and better healthcare for the mentally ill, ex.ex. will stop at least a few mass murders. And as far as law abiding citizens keeping guns our constitution and supreme court gives/gave them that right, and in America we hold our constitution in high regard.

And when republicans in Washington don't pass laws after mass murders and the public outrage they cause it makes matters worse because then states pass gun control laws on the state level. After the Newtown shooting many states passed new gun control laws and then 1/2 of Americans got tougher gun laws on the state level.

And since Washington forces states to handle gun control themselves we risk some states becoming somewhat like Europe in regards to guns. And now we have some states that won't even allow concealed carry, and if Washington would have handled the gun laws then perhaps today those states would still have legal concealed carry policies.

I agree and I wish every law abiding American carried a gun at all times, but how can you make all Americans carry guns?

People I know and myself have tried to get men and women we know to carry guns at certain times, and own guns for a feeling of extra security, but our attempts were unsuccessful.
The bolded is in no way shape or form a fact.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:

False. My dad, my inlaws, and even my wife don't know exactly how many guns I own. And I don't know how many they own either. It isn't a topic of conversation that comes up very often. The results are skewed.

Quote:
Closing the gun show loopholes, better background checks, banning the military style weapons most chosen by mass murders, and better healthcare for the mentally ill, ex.ex. will stop at least a few mass murders. And as far as law abiding citizens keeping guns our constitution and supreme court gives/gave them that right, and in America we hold our constitution in high regard.

If you ban a semi-auto rifle (assuming you mean the AR-15) it does nothing but cause these killers to find another weapon to do the same thing. They aren't choosing this gun on looks. They're choosing it because it is effective and easy to get. You would have to ban ALL guns for it to have any affect whatsoever. I agree with you on the healthcare and background checks. There should be a wait time that allows for a stringent background check to be performed. But as for mass murders, there's no way to stop that. Only ways to teach people how to prevent themselves from being one of the victims.

Quote:

You don't. Some people aren't comfortable with them, and that is ok. There are plenty of us out there who would defend them if the time came and not think a second thought about it. For many of us, any life is worth saving and I'd gladly put mine on the line if it were to protect my fellow citizen. It is my duty as a US Citizen. The problem is that by trying to heavily regulate firearms, it is taking away the capability for those of us who would defend others to do so.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Banning certain classes of arms or reclassifying them like machine guns will certainly slow them down a bit, however. And prosecution for all involved in an illegal arms sale.

Six shot maximum capacity and no carry concealed or open would put a serious dent in the ability of someone to shoot a hundred people.
Banning certain classes? Do you mean banning semi auto pistols and rifles that make up 90% of all of the nearly a half a BILLION firearms in America?

So you think terrorists will only load with six rounds?

How does restricting law abiding concealed carry licenses put a dent in terrorists ability to shoot 100 people?

If there were several licensed carriers there, the carnage would have possibly been dented.

Why no carry concealed? FBI stats show that licenced concealed carriers almost never are arrested for gun crimes and nearly no other crime either. CCWs are one of the most law abiding sect of Americans.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Banning certain classes? Do you mean banning semi auto pistols and rifles that make up 90% of all of the nearly a half a BILLION firearms in America?

So you think terrorists will only load with six rounds?

How does restricting law abiding concealed carry licenses put a dent in terrorists ability to shoot 100 people?

If there were several licensed carriers there, the carnage would have possibly been dented.

Why no carry concealed? FBI stats show that licenced concealed carriers almost never are arrested for gun crimes and nearly no other crime either. CCWs are one of the most law abiding sect of Americans.

Bingo. I carry 99% of the time when I am in public. I've never been arrested, never attempted to harm anyone with it (I have had to draw it once to protect myself), and have only had 1 ticket in my life. Even on that ticket my pistol was with my insurance card, so when I handed my ID to the officer I also handed him my CCW permit and told him that I needed to move my weapon to retrieve my insurance card. He thanked me for notifying him and we had no trouble at all.

I believe that having CCW holders present in large venues could potentially help diffuse a threat. If someone pulls a weapon with intent to do harm and turns around to meet 5-10 weapons they will likely change their minds. Or maybe they get one or two shots off before being put down by a licensed holder. There is potential to save more lives than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies