Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:54 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Any law that we could make would not have prevented this shooting. The only thing that could have prevented the shooting is if his ex-wife filed abuse charges and he was labeled by our criminal justice system - thus making it illegal for him to purchase the weapons (if that would really help). However many Muslim women would be too afraid to press charges against their own husbands.
Yes it could. He was on a FBI surveillance list. All these shouldn't be licensed and get guns legally. Same with people on no fly lists. If you aren't allowed to board a plane you should NOT own firearms. Life can be lived without guns. The guy who massacred school children at sandy hook, CT suffered from severe autism. His guns were legally purchased. Why was it possible? Even if you are pro guns, why would you want such people to own them?
Take a look at the latest mass shootings and you'll find that many of them owned guns legally. Many showed different signs of insanity long before the shootings. James Holmes - the Aurora movie theater shooter purchased multiple weapons and ammunition on the same days he was examined by doctors (who found him dangerous) for mental illness.
These are just two examples ooiu of many.

Last edited by oberon_1; 06-15-2016 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 03:50 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh, you know it's way more than that. So many have no serial number and owned by people that would never disclose they have one.
We know things like how old the universe is and how fast light travels. Surely human beings are capable of determining a somewhat accurate figure on how many Americans own guns.

"A new study aimed at figuring out who owns gun in the United States and why suggests that about a third of Americans have at least one. Most are white males over the age of 55, and a "gun culture" is closely linked with ownership."
One in Three Americans Own Guns; Culture a Factor, Study Finds - NBC News

"The percentage of households that have a gun has been falling pretty steadily since the 1970s, to 31% in 2014, as shown in a report this year from NORC, a social sciences research group at the University of Chicago... The drop, the survey said, can be partially attributed to fewer Americans hunting."
Most Americans don’t own a gun, and want more gun control

Even Fox news says "One-third of all Americans own a gun."
One-third of all Americans own a gun, it's time for TSA to stop discriminating | Fox News

Clearly a minority of Americans personally owns a gun and gun ownership rates are going down. And when the white males over 55 that own most guns are replaced by our current video game/airsoft gun children gun ownership rates will fall even further.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:52 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Closing the gun show loopholes, better background checks, banning the military style weapons most chosen by mass murderers, and better healthcare for the mentally ill, ex.ex. will stop at least a few mass murders.
Banning rocks from a playground doesn't stop a bully from being a bully.
Banning guns from a marketplace doesn't stop a terrorist from being a terrorist.

If I waved a magic wand and made all your gun law proposals come true today, we'd still have mass killings. These homicidal wackos would still get guns illegally, they don't care about the laws.

Or in your best case scenario, let's pretend these wackos couldn't get ahold of a single gun. The news would change from mass shootings here to mass bombings, just like we see all over Europe.

And this is all ignoring the fact that mass shootings are a tiny fraction of all gun homicides, so we're looking at the tiniest impact here with mass shootings.

More gun laws aren't the answer. This doesn't mean we don't need gun laws, I'm saying we don't need more. We need to address the root cause, and guns aren't the root cause of terrorism any more than rocks are the root cause of bullying.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:58 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The GOP failed to extend the assault weapons ban in 2004 and we get to see the results in real time.
Didn't the Dems have control of the congress (both houses) since then????

Old 06-15-2016, 04:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
If a person is evil enough to have the intent to kill, hate to tell you this, ask my dead family members who have died at the hands of 2 evil people. Oh you can't they were killed.

One of those cases the man who killed my family member told us straight up how easy it is to get guns or any weapon of their choosing. And if he did not use a gun, it would have been a knife, his fists, a tool, an ax, you get it, when they are that evil, they will kill you however they want in the moment.

And he told us strangling her would have been easy too. We do need gun laws, but we have gun laws on the book, will not stop crazy evil people from doing their evil doings. You honestly think that someone crazy with the intent to kill will not use what he wants in the moment. They are killers they do not care about rules and laws of any kind.

I have 2 dead family members and no I will never forget what happened to them ever. Actually if the one had a gun, he knew how to shoot, he may be alive today, but sadly he was killed with a knife over and over and over stabbed again and again. Both in their own homes which should be a place of peace and harmony, but not any more.

After that, you bet I learned how to shoot and got a license for protection of my property, and the people I love. We all know how to shoot, and so far have not had to use a gun, which I am happy about. The time ever comes where I have too, I will. My life and family life are more important then a 2 bit thug.

You have to be pretty damn stupid and ignorant to really think a criminal or a killer cares about gun laws that we already have, or adding more that will not work trust me.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The bolded is in no way shape or form a fact.
The Columbine high school shooters had friends purchase their guns from unlicensed sellers at gun shows.
VPC - Where'd They Get Their Guns? - Columbine High School, Littleton, Colorado

Clearly laws to stop unlicensed gun sales and laws to stop people from buying guns for other people would limit the firepower mass murderers are able to acquire (and with shooters having less firepower fewer people would be killed.)

And "a vast majority of guns used in 16 recent mass shootings, including two guns believed to be used in the Orlando attack, were bought legally and with a federal background check. At least eight gunmen had criminal histories or documented mental health problems that did not prevent them from obtaining their weapons."

Clearly if there were better background checks some mass murderers would have less firepower (and fewer people would be killed.)
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...heir-guns.html

Common sense gun laws would at least cause fewer people to be killed.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
False. My dad, my inlaws, and even my wife don't know exactly how many guns I own. And I don't know how many they own either. It isn't a topic of conversation that comes up very often. The results are skewed.
I know how many guns my mother, father, brother, and cousins own. I even know where they store their guns.

Quote:
If you ban a semi-auto rifle (assuming you mean the AR-15) it does nothing but cause these killers to find another weapon to do the same thing.
Assault weapons like the AR-15 are military weapons designed to kill large numbers of human beings at both close and far ranges. And its ironic how mentally ill mass murderers know more about guns than republicans do (they know what gun to select when they go to kill large numbers of people.)

Quote:
They aren't choosing this gun on looks. They're choosing it because it is effective and easy to get.
Everyone chooses guns on looks. If you have a pest in your garden you look and grab the .22, if you going quail hunting you look and grab a 20 gauge shotgun, and if your going deer hunting you look and grab a high powered rifle.

And when some insane mass murderer is looking for a gun they do not look at a double barrel bird gun, they look at a military weapon like they see people in movies killing large numbers of people with (they look at assault weapons.)

Quote:
You would have to ban ALL guns for it to have any affect whatsoever.
The simple act of better background checks and closing gun show loopholes would have some effect.

Quote:
But as for mass murders, there's no way to stop that. Only ways to teach people how to prevent themselves from being one of the victims.
Many mass murderers were abused when they were young, are depressed, and have untreated mental health issues. And government programs to stop those things could stop some mass murderers from ever becoming mass murderers.

Quote:
For many of us, any life is worth saving and I'd gladly put mine on the line if it were to protect my fellow citizen. It is my duty as a US Citizen.
What did you do to stop another Columbine High School shooting where 12 students and one teacher were killed with assault weapons?

What did you do to stop another Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting where 20 children aged between 6 and 7 years old were killed with assault weapons?

Answer: You fought to keep assault weapons legal.

But I don't question your honesty, integrity, or heart. Rather I question your beliefs and strategies that were given to you by corporate backed republican politicians and the gun manufacturers at the NRA.

Last edited by chad3; 06-15-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 05:31 PM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Would this apply to cops too? Take away their 17 round Glocks. Give them 6 shot revolvers. S&W model 10. Then we wouldn't have incidents like the cop in Chicago shooting a kid 16 times while he was lying on the ground.
Cops have become far too trigger happy because of the increasing numbers of guns being carried by the public. The Model 10 was standard issue for decades. It's not known as the "Military and Police" model for no reason.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:07 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Cops have become far too trigger happy because of the increasing numbers of guns being carried by the public. The Model 10 was standard issue for decades. It's not known as the "Military and Police" model for no reason.
Revolvers encourage good tactics, use of cover, shot placement, etc. High capacity semi-autos seem to encourage "spray and pray".

Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I know how many guns my mother, father, brother, and cousins own. I even know where they store their guns.

Assault weapons like the AR-15 are military weapons designed to kill large numbers of human beings at both close and far ranges. And its ironic how mentally ill mass murderers know more about guns than republicans do (they know what gun to select when they go to kill large numbers of people.)

Everyone chooses guns on looks. If you have a pest in your garden you look and grab the .22, if you going quail hunting you look and grab a 20 gauge shotgun, and if your going deer hunting you look and grab a high powered rifle.

And when some insane mass murderer is looking for a gun they do not look at a double barrel bird gun, they look at a military weapon like they see people in movies killing large numbers of people with (they look at assault weapons.)

The simple act of better background checks and closing gun show loopholes would have some effect.

Many mass murderers were abused when they were young, are depressed, and have untreated mental health issues. And government programs to stop those things could stop some mass murderers from ever becoming mass murderers.

What did you do to stop another Columbine High School shooting where 12 students and one teacher were killed with assault weapons?

What did you do to stop another Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting where 20 children aged between 6 and 7 years old were killed with assault weapons?

Answer: You fought to keep assault weapons legal.

But I don't question your honesty, integrity, or heart. Rather I question your beliefs and strategies that were given to you by corporate backed republican politicians and the gun manufacturers at the NRA.
First of all an AR15 is the civilian version of the M16, so to call it a military weapon shows your ignorance, and secondly the 2nd amendment is there to protect us from tyranny not for hunting/target shooting. How are we suppose to defend ourselves from a theoretical tyrannical government if all we have are 10 round handguns? They already have select fire military rifles, tanks, helicopters, fighter jets, drones, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies