Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 09:04 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,751,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
One is rural, one is urban. Both have drug problems, and only one has gang issues that I'm aware of.

As to the gun ownership, the only data I could find was on CPL permits and it is a few years old.

Roscommon, ranks 13th out of 83 counties and is the rural area I am talking about.
Wayne county, ranks 45th our of the same 83 and is where Detroit is located.

I have no agenda other than calling out what is obvious.
Do tell, "what is obvious?"

That certain areas experience more or less gun violence not necessarily in direct correlation with rates of gun ownership? Yes, that's obvious.

The question is why the violence with guns where it is found and how to reduce it, right?

As to causation, one very important aspect of this problem to get right, there is plenty to consider here that goes well beyond the demographics of your particular neighborhood one way or the other...

Schools of thought

The relationship between race and crime has been an area of study for criminologists since the emergence of anthropological criminology in the late 19th century.

Sociologist Orlando Patterson has explained these controversies as disputes between liberal and conservative criminologists in which each camp focuses on mutually exclusive aspects of the causal net, with liberals focusing on factors external to the groups in question and conservatives focusing on internal cultural and behavioral factors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a..._United_States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:08 AM

73,081 posts, read 62,717,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

That certain areas experience more or less gun violence not necessarily in direct correlation with rates of gun ownership? Yes, that's obvious.

The question is why the violence with guns where it is found and how to reduce it, right?

As to causation, one very important aspect of this problem to get right, there is plenty to consider here that goes well beyond the demographics of your particular neighborhood one way or the other...

Schools of thought

The relationship between race and crime has been an area of study for criminologists since the emergence of anthropological criminology in the late 19th century.

Sociologist Orlando Patterson has explained these controversies as disputes between liberal and conservative criminologists in which each camp focuses on mutually exclusive aspects of the causal net, with liberals focusing on factors external to the groups in question and conservatives focusing on internal cultural and behavioral factors.

Reading all of this, no one has come to any ideas on how to actually reduce violence, period. Not gun violence, but violence period.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Originally Posted by Floorist
My community is overall very poor. What jobs are here are mostly minimum wage, but we have very little violence. One murder in the last seven years, for example. There is a drug problem, like everywhere these days. There is a high rate of gun ownership. Open and conceal carry are both legal. The only thing I see is that the population is mostly white. 20 miles from here is a very similar community, mostly black that also has little violence and high gun ownership. And a drug problem. Both cities are alike in most ways except the color of the residents.
Don't know why, but I just thought that it was interesting.

Quote:
"Reading between the lines" if not simply understanding what you are getting at, you feel the problem is black people. Close?

Reading between the lines, both communities are similar in gun ownership, drug use, and crime despite the difference in race. IOW, race makes no difference in the level of crime in Floorist's anecdote. Nor does gun ownership. Nor does drug use.

But I'd suspect neither community has a problem with gang activity.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:13 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,751,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I do agree with you on the parenting...or lack of it. When high school kids are having children, leaving those children to be raised by grandma (who is only 28) and the cycle keeps repeating itself , along with no fathers present, throw in a dose of entitlement (from a generation or three of welfare living) , top that with our Democrat politicians ignoring this and it is a recipe for disaster.
Seems we were almost getting to a point of agreement up to that rather slanted version of what Democrats ignore...

Liberal or conservative, I don't think either necessarily ignores the obvious. Again the question and/or differences lie with regard to causation and what to do about it. What happens if what you describe as "entitlement" is withdrawn altogether for example?

We may never know for sure, because we have come a long way since the days of simply letting people/children live in abject poverty without public involvement, but needless to say, it seems conservatives think the problems as you describe suddenly disappear if we simply let people fend for themselves regardless their lot in life.

Whether that's the recipe for success or more like going backwards and making matters worse, I haven't the time today to further consider, but I doubt the answer either way is all one way or the other. I also think it is the conservatives that tend to lean toward ignoring reality in these regards more than liberals, in part why the GOP is coming apart at the seams...

Cheers until next time!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And no one has a solution, at least not at this point.

I like to look at the cause and reason there is a 2nd amendment in the first place, then you have the answer to the cause of gun deaths.

Those that wish to oppress another, find out quick, they may be the last words or actions they do on this earth.
I personally can only be oppressed by someone with a gun. Unarmed people cannot say the same.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No I don't think the problem is black people. I have black friends. I was just thinking that it is odd. I feel safe in either community. Part of it may be history, my town was on the South's side in the civil war, the other town was on the North's side. But the two populations have never mixed much.
I suspect two factors contribute to very little violence. I notice most of the violence related to Blacks occurs in urban areas and now inner ring suburbs. Rural areas aren't nearly as violent. And then I wonder this. Do the residents in that predominantly Black town all know each other? Are the families intact?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:26 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Quote:

Schools of thought

What is obvious is there is a cultural (for lack of a better term) problem within the black community. Young teens generally between the ages of 14 to 25 are not developing any kind of empathy for human life, they can't argue without resorting to violence. That is the problem. Not guns, not knives, etc. Why is violence the first thing they turn to ? Violence as a whole across our country is declining , except for this certain demographic which is a smaller percentage of a small percentage of our population. Until this can be addressed without being called a racist , a bigot or whatever , the root cause will never be found.

Gun violence could be reduced without infringing on rights, without bans, etc...but the left don't want to listen. It would take some years but it could be done.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:29 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,259,552 times
5. get the nuts off the streets. prevent nuts from purchasing or acquiring guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Your link doesn't work for me so I'll throw out my opinion.

1. Better education for everyone. We as a society need to teach people that violence isn't the first means of resolution to a problem. We also need to teach tolerance. It's too easy and too commonplace for someone who doesn't like a person's choices to stand against them. This starts in the home from a young age.

2. Less media coverage. The media sensationalizes gun violence and violence in general. This becomes appealing to aggressive youth and they soak up the media coverage like a sponge without yet being able to form their own thoughts and opinions.

3. Required gun safety courses. Just as we are required to take a driving test to get a license, we should be required to take a gun safety course before being allowed to purchase a firearm. Being caught without this li

4. Hold people accountable for their actions. Enough with the PC baloney. If you commit a crime, regardless of your race, political stance, gender, or religion you should be held accountable. I would recommend mandatory counseling and psychological treatment for those who commit crimes to try and get to the root cause of what sparked those actions to prevent future reoccurrences. If deemed psychologically unfit to own a firearm, the person would be denied legal means of obtaining one.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
5. get the nuts off the streets. prevent nuts from purchasing or acquiring guns.
Except for one thing. Alot of those nuts will find illegal means to get guns, such as smuggling. Jamaica has this problem. I've pointed it out over and over. No one listens.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:35 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,329,355 times
you sheep are amazing... there is NOTHING to fix

READ:

Study: Gun homicides, violence down sharply in past 20 years

Study: Gun homicides, violence down sharply in past 20 years - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies