Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 10:46 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Originally Posted by Floorist
My community is overall very poor. What jobs are here are mostly minimum wage, but we have very little violence. One murder in the last seven years, for example. There is a drug problem, like everywhere these days. There is a high rate of gun ownership. Open and conceal carry are both legal. The only thing I see is that the population is mostly white. 20 miles from here is a very similar community, mostly black that also has little violence and high gun ownership. And a drug problem. Both cities are alike in most ways except the color of the residents.
Don't know why, but I just thought that it was interesting.

Reading between the lines, both communities are similar in gun ownership, drug use, and crime despite the difference in race. IOW, race makes no difference in the level of crime in Floorist's anecdote. Nor does gun ownership. Nor does drug use.

But I'd suspect neither community has a problem with gang activity.
"Race makes no difference in the level of crime in Floorist's anecdote?"

Read again, in particular what I have in bold above, this comment does not suggest the problem and/or difference is black people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 10:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I am probably repeating some things because I freely admit I haven't read the thread. But here goes:

First of all, let's get one fact into the mix - gun violence and violent crime rates in general have been on a steady downward trend since the 1970s.

Violent Crime Rates -- US Statistics | National Review Online
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc..._1993-2012.xls
FBI reports lower murder, crime rates in 2014 - CNNPolitics.com

However, I do have some concerns:

1. The gun show loophole - I don't think anyone should be able to buy a gun in the US without having a background check run first.

2. Mental health care needs more attention and more funding.

3. More manpower and more funding needs to go toward monitoring possible threats online and in communities.

4. LEOs need to be paid more.

I would be OK with an increase in taxes to specifically address those issues.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Reading all of this, no one has come to any ideas on how to actually reduce violence, period. Not gun violence, but violence period.
Actually, as often cited by those most wanting to suggest the proliferation of guns in America is not the cause of increased gun violence, violence has declined over the past decades, which begs the question whether gun control measures have helped, higher incarceration rates, more law enforcement...?

Fact is, the more you research as to cause/effect, the more it seems clear that no one can make any real sound determinations either way with any real level of confidence, as fairly well explained here:

Instead of a single, dominant cause, our research points to a vast web of factors, often complex, often interacting, and some unexpected. Of the theories we examined, we found the following factors had some effect on bringing down crime: a growth in income (5 to 10 percent), changes in alcohol consumption (5 to 10 percent), the aging population (0 to 5 percent), and decreased unemployment (0 to 3 percent). Policing also played a role, with increased numbers of police in the 1990s reducing crime (0 to 10 percent) and the introduction of CompStat having an even larger effect (5 to 15 percent).

But none is solely, or even largely, responsible for the crime drop. Unfortunately, we could not fully test a few theories, as the data did not exist at the detailed level we needed for our analysis. For those, we analyzed past research, finding that inflation and consumer confidence (individuals’ belief about the strength of the economy) probably had some effect on crime. The legalization of abortion and unleading of gasoline may also have played some role.

In aggregate, the fourteen factors we identified can explain some of the drop in crime in the 1990s. But even adding all of them together fails to explain the majority of the decrease.

Locking More People Up is Counterproductive - The Atlantic

Old 07-13-2016, 11:24 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thank you. Having to constantly explain the obvious while disregarding the straw man arguments gets old and tiring, so it's always nice when someone steps in with some straight-forward facts to help get to the actual cause/effect truths of these matters.
One cannot compare apples to oranges. You can't compare inner city Detroit to rural Michigan. There are even some rural areas in Michigan with large Black populations. Do they share the same levels of violent crime as the inner cities of Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw?

Generally, rural areas have less violent crime that urban areas. But even this can vary. Iowa, Minnesota, Maine, with high White populations and a low murder rate. West Virginia tends to be higher than those states. Why that is the case is something needing to be studied.

I can go further. Virginia has a higher percentage of African-Americans than Missouri or Michigan. However, MO and MI have higher murder rates than VA. Actually, Virginia's murder rate is identical to West Virginia, a state that is more than 90% White. Richmond,VA;St,Louis,MO. Both are around 50 percent Black. Richmond's murder rate has been dropping and it is a city on the rise. St. Louis has a murder rate 2.5 higher than Richmond, and getting worse.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:27 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Question for gun-carriers*: If my rights stop where yours begin, is that the max range of your weapon(s)?

*I didn't say gun owners, because I own a few. I only carry them in public when directed to so do.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:27 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
You will need to read my comments a little more carefully...
I spoke to your specific points.
Point by point.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:41 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am probably repeating some things because I freely admit I haven't read the thread. But here goes:

First of all, let's get one fact into the mix - gun violence and violent crime rates in general have been on a steady downward trend since the 1970s.

Violent Crime Rates -- US Statistics | National Review Online
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc..._1993-2012.xls
FBI reports lower murder, crime rates in 2014 - CNNPolitics.com

However, I do have some concerns:

1. The gun show loophole - I don't think anyone should be able to buy a gun in the US without having a background check run first.

2. Mental health care needs more attention and more funding.

3. More manpower and more funding needs to go toward monitoring possible threats online and in communities.

4. LEOs need to be paid more.

I would be OK with an increase in taxes to specifically address those issues.
"1. The gun show loophole - I don't think anyone should be able to buy a gun in the US without having a background check run first."

First, there is NO SUCH thing as gun show "loophole"

2nd. Would you go along with putting the SAME restrictions on the 1st amendment as you want to do put on the 2md amendment?

How would you like to have a background check, that YOU have to PAY FOR, on you BEFORE you cold post on the Internet?

Remember, "The pen is mightier then the sword".

Old 07-13-2016, 11:43 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Actually, as often cited by those most wanting to suggest the proliferation of guns in America is not the cause of increased gun violence, violence has declined over the past decades, which begs the question whether gun control measures have helped, higher incarceration rates, more law enforcement...?

Fact is, the more you research as to cause/effect, the more it seems clear that no one can make any real sound determinations either way with any real level of confidence, as fairly well explained here:

Instead of a single, dominant cause, our research points to a vast web of factors, often complex, often interacting, and some unexpected. Of the theories we examined, we found the following factors had some effect on bringing down crime: a growth in income (5 to 10 percent), changes in alcohol consumption (5 to 10 percent), the aging population (0 to 5 percent), and decreased unemployment (0 to 3 percent). Policing also played a role, with increased numbers of police in the 1990s reducing crime (0 to 10 percent) and the introduction of CompStat having an even larger effect (5 to 15 percent).

But none is solely, or even largely, responsible for the crime drop. Unfortunately, we could not fully test a few theories, as the data did not exist at the detailed level we needed for our analysis. For those, we analyzed past research, finding that inflation and consumer confidence (individuals’ belief about the strength of the economy) probably had some effect on crime. The legalization of abortion and unleading of gasoline may also have played some role.

In aggregate, the fourteen factors we identified can explain some of the drop in crime in the 1990s. But even adding all of them together fails to explain the majority of the decrease.

Locking More People Up is Counterproductive - The Atlantic
I have another theory. Suburbanization. It seems as more Blacks live in the suburbs, the murder rate drops. I base this on the events after WWII. As more White families went out into the suburbs, the nation's murder rate started dropping. As more Blacks have moved into the suburbs, the Black murder rates have dropped in many places.

Consider this. During the 80s and 90s, the Black population started increasing in Minnesota, specifically Mpls and St. Paul. The murder rate went up to where Minneapolis was nicknamed "Murderapolis". With decent hardworking people looking for a safe place to live, the criminals came along too. Someone with the Mpls PD mentioned that most Blacks don't cause problems, but 75% of murder victims/perps were Black, despite Blacks being 13% of the city's population. 20 or so years later, Minneapolis has gotten much better in regards to its murder rate. Blacks are now 18% of the population in Minneapolis and the murder rate is lower. Blacks also live in other parts of the TC metro and other cities in Minnesota. The Black murder rate and Black incarceration rate has dropped significantly. Wisconsin, next door, has one of the highest Black murder rates and Black incarceration rates in the USA. 7 out of 10 Blacks in Wisconsin live in Milwaukee, and often the worst parts.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I spoke to your specific points.
Point by point.
You wrote the following, "I had posted that I live in an area of high gun ownership but almost no gun crimes....which should not be possible according to anti-gunners."

Again, I'm not an "anti-gunner," but you really consider your above statement as something other than a straw man argument, reasonable or fair?

Again, there are no absolute correlations either way as I've tried to make clear with all my comments, not just those directed to you. There are always "exceptions to the rule," but this does not mean there are not some rules and/or correlations that tend to hold most true.

Even if I had more time to explain more of the obvious, hopefully to keep the discussion more "honest" and "sensible," I would rather focus on the actual facts of these matters, not what you think "anti gunners" believe.

Either way, I don't have more time to waste this morning. Maybe tomorrow morning will be a more productive one...

Old 07-13-2016, 11:58 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
"Race makes no difference in the level of crime in Floorist's anecdote?"

Read again, in particular what I have in bold above, this comment does not suggest the problem and/or difference is black people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist
My community is overall very poor. What jobs are here are mostly minimum wage, but we have very little violence. One murder in the last seven years, for example. There is a drug problem, like everywhere these days. There is a high rate of gun ownership. Open and conceal carry are both legal. The only thing I see is that the population is mostly white. 20 miles from here is a very similar community, mostly black that also has little violence and high gun ownership. And a drug problem. Both cities are alike in most ways except the color of the residents.
Don't know why, but I just thought that it was interesting.
What part of "alike" in "Both cities are alike in most ways except the color of the residents" are you having difficulty understanding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies