Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 09:32 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Well this is what happens when gun laws are done at the state level and not the federal level. As the saying goes, don't like it, then move to a different state. I am sure there are states out there that are more in line with your views on guns.
Why does every liberal act like gun control should be left up to the states, but abortion is a constitutional right that should be in every state no matter what? I wonder why abortion should be such a protected right over bearing arms when it isn't even in the constitution. Bearing arms is specifically protected in the constitution. It's crazy!

I'm not against abortion, but when people say that it makes me scratch my head at the hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I disagree with that opinion. If something is illegal or unconstitutional, it will be struck down by a judge, even in California.

Personally I have zero interest of ever living in California. I don't know why the OP bothers to stay there.
What if someone has family living in California going back ten generations? Maybe they don't want to move from their lovely state because the idiot legislature wants to overturn the constitution.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why does every liberal act like gun control should be left up to the states, but abortion is a constitutional right that should be in every state no matter what? I wonder why abortion should be such a protected right over bearing arms when it isn't even in the constitution. Bearing arms is specifically protected in the constitution. It's crazy!

I'm not against abortion, but when people say that it makes me scratch my head at the hypocrisy.

I am fine with people owing guns but what makes me crazy is people acting if the constitution was and is a prime directive from God. The constitution was in fact a comprise document derived by the colonies some of which did not exactly even want independence from England. People should study history rather than engage in dogma. Now this historical fact may upset your blind faith in the constitution but I think that any intelligent conversation on the matter should exclude the constitution.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Oh, we're sorry. Are you inconvenienced?

The founding fathers never said we couldn't change laws. So if you have a problem with that maybe you should take it up with them.
No, they just said the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Laws left up to the state are all others not listed in the Bill of Rights (the first ten amendments). The 9th Circuit might uphold this, but the Supreme Court cannot uphold it.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I am fine with people owing guns but what makes me crazy is people acting if the constitution was and is a prime directive from God. The constitution was in fact a comprise document derived by the colonies some of which did not exactly even want independence from England. People should study history rather than engage in dogma. Now this historical fact may upset your blind faith in the constitution but I think that any intelligent conversation on the matter should exclude the constitution.
Really? It's not up to you to like the Constitution and Bill of Rights, but it is the rule of law.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:56 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
What if someone has family living in California going back ten generations? Maybe they don't want to move from their lovely state because the idiot legislature wants to overturn the constitution.
Clifty said he doesn't care what happens in CA. Yet he has an endless opinion about what he doesn't know, doesn't live and doesn't care.

A textbook liberal.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:07 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:

I guess you didn't read my posts if you think I said that. I actually think gun control should be done at the federal level, NOT the state level.

All the second amendment says is that we should have uninfringed access to guns, it says nothing about what types of weapons should be available to us.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I guess you didn't read my posts if you think I said that. I actually think gun control should be done at the federal level, NOT the state level.

All the second amendment says is that we should have uninfringed access to guns, it says nothing about what types of weapons should be available to us.
Actually, I posted this from your first comment on the thread. I saw your later posts, so I get what you were trying to say. Sorry I misunderstood at first.

But I do think the answer isn't to run from the state. It's to challenge it.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:35 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
False, abortion has been addressed at the federal level, gun laws should also be done at the federal level....see how that works?

That's not what you're arguing in the post I quoted.

When you say if people don't like the gun laws in California they can move, you are arguing from a states rights position.

Then you say that gun laws should be done at the Federal level, which contradicts the states rights position.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:44 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Really? It's not up to you to like the Constitution and Bill of Rights, but it is the rule of law.
yes and laws can be changed or amended. When the constitution was drafted the issue of slavery did come up. In order to achieve unity among states blacks were declared to be 3/5 humans. That allowed for the "inalienable rights" not to be a contradiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies