Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:15 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
im indifferent on guns for the most part.

i dont get hard by squeezing a trigger like many on the right do.

at the same time im not scared of guns like many on the left are.

my opinion is the majority, simple as that.

the simple solution is to not let anyone buy a gun until they pass the 3 day clearance. right now you can get a gun, even if the clearance is still pending.

that's how that white dylann roof was able to get that gun which he used to kill those church members, and is what they are being sued over now.

a future solution is nano technology. your biometrics control whether you can pull the trigger or not. if the gun is not registered to you, it wont fire. that will be the future maybe 20-30 years from now.
I go out of my way to get the enhanced CCW permits not only to eliminate any waiting period but because I enjoy the training. Part of me thinks all people should be required to have gun safety training and live practice before they can own a gun... I see too many people who ignore the 4 basic safety rules who maybe fire a couple of magazines at the range and don't touch the gun again for years and confidently say to people they are "ready to defend themselves" ... yeah sure you are.

Honestly these "casual" gun owners probably comprise half of all gun owners and probably a third to half of law enforcement as well who don't practice enough with their weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 10:15 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
California, The state with some of the most restrictive gun laws, passes even more anti gun laws today. This proves that the anti gun folks won't quit til guns have been completely banned. It is an example of the proverbial slippery slope. They will never be content, because there will always be gun crime.
When people talk about just wanting to pass some "common sense" gun laws, now we know they will always want even more anti gun legislation.
Give them an inch and they will take a mile. And people wonder why 2A supporters are not flexible on gun control.

Btw, a bill was vetoed today that would have guaranteed gun theft to be a felony.
We wouldn't want to take a chance of disproportionately incarcerating minorities, now would we.
This proves it isn't about public safety as much as it is about punishing gun owners.

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 07-01-2016 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 10:19 PM

455 posts, read 283,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I go out of my way to get the enhanced CCW permits not only to eliminate any waiting period but because I enjoy the training. Part of me thinks all people should be required to have gun safety training and live practice before they can own a gun... I see too many people who ignore the 4 basic safety rules who maybe fire a couple of magazines at the range and don't touch the gun again for years and confidently say to people they are "ready to defend themselves" ... yeah sure you are.
i think mandatory classes make sense on safe keeping, usage, etc.

wont argue that.

like i said though, its about preventing a dylann roof from being able to fire a weapon.

that can and will be possible one day with nanotech.

roof can have all the guns he wants, but since he isn't registered to the firearm, he can't pull the trigger which prevents him from murdering 10 church goers. also eliminates private firearm sales and the roadside gun show loophole.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
im indifferent on guns for the most part.

i dont get hard by squeezing a trigger like many on the right do.

at the same time im not scared of guns like many on the left are.

my opinion is the majority, simple as that.

the simple solution is to not let anyone buy a gun until they pass the 3 day clearance. right now you can get a gun, even if the clearance is still pending.

that's how that white dylann roof was able to get that gun which he used to kill those church members, and is what they are being sued over now.

a future solution is nano technology. your biometrics control whether you can pull the trigger or not. if the gun is not registered to you, it wont fire. that will be the future maybe 20-30 years from now.
Different states have different waiting periods for handguns. Many states do have a 3 day waiting period. The waiting period starts after a successful background check. The NICS check only takes about 5 minutes. Nobody gets a gun without passing the NICS background check from a gun store. The waiting period has nothing to do with a "clearance". The waiting period is supposed to deter someone from making a hot headed purchase.

BTW, Dylan Roof was given the gun as a gift.

Charleston Church Shooting Suspect Received Gun For His 21st Birthday, Uncle Says

Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
I don't have a problem with a waiting period for the first purchase, but every purchase after that should be instant.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:52 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So if a state wanted to make slavery legal it would be ok because other states wouldn't have slaves and people could just move.
Nope because slavery is regulated at the federal level just like gun laws should be. I thought I was clear in my post, but clearly you missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No this is what happens when you have liberals in complete charge, they ignore the constitution and all of a sudden become advocates of 'states rights' - but only in this one limited scenario.

Liberals sure love criminals, they do everything they can to ensure a safe environment for them.
No, that isn't what I said at all. Some things should be done at state level, other things shouldn't. Gun laws should be at the federal level.

I am sure you only support states rights when you agree with what a state is doing. If you support states rights, then you should be cool with what the state of California wants to do with its own state.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Nope because slavery is regulated at the federal level just like gun laws should be. I thought I was clear in my post, but clearly you missed that.

No, that isn't what I said at all. Some things should be done at state level, other things shouldn't. Gun laws should be at the federal level.

I am sure you only support states rights when you agree with what a state is doing. If you support states rights, then you should be cool with what the state of California wants to do with its own state.
Yea, that federal level thing won't be happening until you repeal the 2nd amendment in the Bill Of Rights.
All you need is for 2/3 of both houses and 3/4 of the states to agree with you..... Good luck with your mission.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:17 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Yea, that federal level thing won't be happening until you repeal the 2nd amendment in the Bill Of Rights.
All you need is for 2/3 of both houses and 3/4 of the states to agree with you..... Good luck with your mission.
Cliff must have never learned the number 2 in preschool.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:18 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Actually the 2nd Amendment says nothing about what level gun laws can be passed. They can in fact happen at the federal level....though currently most gun laws are at the state level, therefore anyone who like to spout out about states rights has to accept that some states aren't going to pass laws they like. Don't like it, don't live in that state.

Also, this is just a forum site on the internet, beyond commenting on this thread, I have no mission to do anything in regards to the Bill of Rights or the 2nd Amendment specifically.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:24 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,533 times
What do they want?

To ignore their own truth..

Study: Gun homicides, violence down sharply in past 20 years - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies