Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 09:25 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It also goes to this question. Why was she flying that flag?
Agreed. & we may never know why in this particular example. On the society level?

This article takes a look at Mr. Robinson's assertion on 'Meet the Press':

The Confederate battle flag in South Carolina was first flown at the statehouse in 1961. "It was flown as a symbol of massive resistance to racial desegregation."
— Eugene Robinson on Sunday, June 21st, 2015 in comments on NBC's "Meet the Press"

Quote:
...Here we wanted to to answer two questions. One is simple, when did the Confederate battle flag first fly above the South Carolina statehouse? And second, why? ...
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...rolina-state-/

An interesting read.

I wonder if there are more statues & schools named for Confederate-Americans, especially in the former Slaver States? In some of the articles of secession, that's how they refer to themselves. & yet, in the present day, especially amongst the 'Lost Causers' they assert the War was not fought to preserve & expand the right of the individual to own human beings as property. Go figure.

Last edited by ChiGeekGuest; 08-02-2016 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Adding link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 09:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
When the gov't starts regulating what we do at our own home in order to pacify PC idiots- it's wrong- period.
You can address where I pointed out the problem here or you can continue down the path you are on.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can address where I pointed out the problem here or you can continue down the path you are on.
I'll continue, thank you.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:08 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Default Excuses, excuses ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agreed. & we may never know why in this particular example. On the society level?

This article takes a look at Mr. Robinson's assertion on 'Meet the Press':

The Confederate battle flag in South Carolina was first flown at the statehouse in 1961. "It was flown as a symbol of massive resistance to racial desegregation."
— Eugene Robinson on Sunday, June 21st, 2015 in comments on NBC's "Meet the Press"

An interesting read.

I wonder if there are more statues & schools named for Confederate-Americans, especially in the former Slaver States? In some of the articles of secession, that's how they refer to themselves. & yet, in the present day, especially amongst the 'Lost Causers' they assert the War was not fought to preserve & expand the right of the individual to own human beings as property. Go figure.
Go figure the northern states skate scrutiny.

People just crack me up.

Unbiased people recognize the southern fight against the Union, to stand independent liken to the U.S. fight to stand independent from Great Britain. People can blame the money making scheme all they want, however, it doesn't take away from the fact, the civil war, was a war against unionized government.

The same tactic is used when discussing the ME civil war, where there are those that will call it a religious war, where in reality it is a war to establish a specific type of government and rule of laws.

It's all just tomatoes right?

Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Go figure the northern states skate scrutiny.

People just crack me up.

Unbiased people recognize the southern fight against the Union, to stand independent liken to the U.S. fight to stand independent from Great Britain. People can blame the money making scheme all they want, however, it doesn't take away from the fact, the civil war, was a war against unionized government.

The same tactic is used when discussing the ME civil war, where there are those that will call it a religious war, where in reality it is a war to establish a specific type of government and rule of laws.

It's all just tomatoes right?
Have you read the Constitution of the Confederate States of America?

Precisely how did the Confederate States of America intend to be different from the United States of America & why.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
She isn't being "punished by government", she is being "fired by her employer."
Her employer is government.... They cannot hire, or fire you for your beliefs.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Thought police, need to have the 2nd amendment exercised on them to set an example.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Have you read the Constitution of the Confederate States of America?

Precisely how did the Confederate States of America intend to be different from the United States of America & why.
When I come into threads of this nature I find all the usual posters all with the same posts show up as well.

People do know the answer. Accepting that answer, is not something they will do.

It was a strategy of the Northern States to change the perception of those looking at the southern people and to present those in the Northern States as different when in actuality there was not a difference in the least. Yet, it worked and has worked for 150 years.

It matters not as to a person's race on whether or not they acknowledge it.

That which brought us united as a nation, continues to keep us divided and so the story goes.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:38 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It also goes to this question. Why was she flying that flag?
Because she wanted to, and had every right to fly it

Old 08-02-2016, 11:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Her employer is government.... They cannot hire, or fire you for your beliefs.
The fact that her employer is a municipality has no bearing on the labor law in this case.

I don't know where you live, but in the United States, your employer can fire you for your beliefs, provided they do not fall into a 'protected class.' (race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age and disability.)

Some states might have more-restrictive laws at the state level which restrict what reasons an employer can fire an employee for, but as Georgia is a far-right, pro-employer state, it will obviously err on the side of the "rights of the employer." You know, gotta be "business friendly," and giving employers maximum control is part of that philosophy.

Quote:
http://sos.ga.gov/index.php/corporat...s_need_to_know
Employment at Will

Georgia recognizes the doctrine of employment at will. Employment at will means that in the absence of a written contract of employment for a defined duration, an employer may terminate an employee for good cause, bad cause, or no cause at all, so long as it is not an illegal cause.

Last edited by le roi; 08-02-2016 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies