Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,000,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
every where else you got to have a judge restore your voting privileges
No only true in 8 states.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...ng-rights.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 12:16 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
I don't know do think something needs to be done. Somehow where you register you should show proof of where you currently live via mail or a government/bank document. In addition to a State ID or a Passport. Once register via in person, online, or by mail placed on a list that checks to see if you have a birth certificate or a N-400. If so can vote in person or mail with a copy of your passport photo page or State ID. In addition to, when you do vote a current copy of your identifcation (Passport/ID) and current mail address to you.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Convicted felons can vote. They simply can not vote while in jail, but felony is not a life time bar against voting.

This varies from state to state.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:53 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Think individuals in prison should be allowed to vote. However, anyone on a VISA, here illegally, or working towards citizenship should not be allowed to vote.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:21 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
It has been quite awhile, but I don't remember being required to "prove" I was a citizen prior to registration.
I know it differs by state but TN does not require any proof of identity to register. You can mail in a form swearing you are a citizen and you live at the address you listed.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,000,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I know it differs by state but TN does not require any proof of identity to register. You can mail in a form swearing you are a citizen and you live at the address you listed.
The form asks for your SSN something only you should know and will be used to verify identity. It also asks for date of birth and city/state of birth. Things used to verify identity and citizenship status.

And federal law requires that registration by mail voters are required to present an photo ID the first time they vote(not every time) and just about any Federal or State Photo id will do as well as a long list of things like utility bills, bank statements, government check, paychecks and other government documents.

TN however only accepts:

Tennessee driver license with your photo
United States Passport
Photo ID issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security
Photo ID issued by the federal or Tennessee state government
United States Military photo ID
Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo

It does not accept:
College student IDs and photo IDs not issued by the federal or Tennessee state government. This includes county or city issued photo IDs, such as library cards, and photo IDs issued by other states

Which includes items that would be acceptable to allow a first time mail in voter registration to vote. And once you have been checked there is little need to keep asking for id.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:58 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Does your voter registration card have a photo of you?
Only if my state decides to place one on it. There was a time when my drivers license didn't have a photo as well. The country survived for a couple hundred years without photo ID.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:00 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Really? In which phone directory would I find your cell phone number and work number?
The Voter registration people have my contact information.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 AM

89,038 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
In what state is this true. In all states ID proving you are a citizen and a resident of the state must be presented either via information gated on the form or by submitting copies(or even the original).
Wow. No. In Illinois, a voter registration application only requires one to acknowledge that any U.S. citizenship claims are valid. Easily abused.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:11 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,257,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Think individuals in prison should be allowed to vote. However, anyone on a VISA, here illegally, or working towards citizenship should not be allowed to vote.
Only US citizens are allowed to vote. Why should non citizens even come up in the discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies