Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 08:28 AM

23,992 posts, read 15,091,790 times

Advertisements

My daughter's former husband had a passport. He also got a statement from SS every year. One day while bringing in the mail, she noticed his name on the SS statement was not his legal name. His mother used her stage name to obtain his SS card. This went on for years. He was past 40 before the IRS caught him. I still think the divorce lawyer turned him in. He lived in a place that did not require him to drive so he had no DL. If he had to produce id he used the passport.

I know people who pay the utility bills of their friends in preferred school attendance zones so they can use the bill as proof of residence to enroll their kid in school. They sometimes live miles away in another district. Happens frequently in Houston.

I know a person who lived in California and worked 3 days a week in Texas. He used the office address to register to vote in Texas. He did vote in California and Texas.

So much for id.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 08:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Freedom of travel is a natural right. Maybe we should register our legs and charge a fee to use them as well.
Freedom of travel is a natural right but driving on public road is not.

However, a person should be able to purchase any vehicle he wants - he just can't drive it on any public road without licensing, which actually is the case today. The person can operate the vehicle on his or her own property but not on the public road.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Freedom of travel is a natural right but driving on public road is not.

However, a person should be able to purchase any vehicle he wants - he just can't drive it on any public road without licensing, which actually is the case today. The person can operate the vehicle on his or her own property but not on the public road.
So registering one's legs and paying for the "right" to walk on "public" lands or sidewalks should be the "law" as well.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:57 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
So registering one's legs and paying for the "right" to walk on "public" lands or sidewalks should be the "law" as well.
Yes, I would agree. Currently both loitering and vagrancy are crimes, meaning there's no freedom of travel.

So much for our constitution.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:32 AM

89,038 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I know people who pay the utility bills of their friends in preferred school attendance zones so they can use the bill as proof of residence to enroll their kid in school. They sometimes live miles away in another district. Happens frequently in Houston.
That happens in the better school districts in the Chicago suburbs, as well. They try to catch them, but quite a few are pretty good at getting away with it.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:58 PM

5,175 posts, read 4,949,447 times
Maybe somebody said it already. It doesn't.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
How about using fingerprint recognition software instead?

Old 09-06-2016, 04:13 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My daughter's former husband had a passport. He also got a statement from SS every year. One day while bringing in the mail, she noticed his name on the SS statement was not his legal name. His mother used her stage name to obtain his SS card. This went on for years. He was past 40 before the IRS caught him. I still think the divorce lawyer turned him in. He lived in a place that did not require him to drive so he had no DL. If he had to produce id he used the passport.

I know a person who lived in California and worked 3 days a week in Texas. He used the office address to register to vote in Texas. He did vote in California and Texas.

So much for id.
It's difficult enough to get people to vote in one state with a 50% turnout in national elections, someone voting in two states that thinks they can influence an election ranks up there with people that spend an extra dollar on a lottery ticket.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:15 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
How about using fingerprint recognition software instead?
Extremely costly, imagine how many we would need nationwide not to mention the ability of operators from the BOE. They have enough problems with paper ballots and scanners.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:17 PM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
In CA they are trying to do away with garage voting areas to something centralized. This means if someone, for whatever reason, can't figure out some way to get an ID, will probably not need it because they'll have to make some form of effort to get to a voting area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies