Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Let's not try to shift the question.
YOU shifted and there was no question. If you are refering to states that have passed seccesion legislation it's been answered. If there are none ...ok. So. That does not change the fact thats more states than not SUPPORT the 2nd ammendment. It appears that is an issue you wish to deflect. But that changes nothing. Gettin' lonely out there in DC?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
YOU shifted and there was no question. If you are refering to states that have passed seccesion legislation it's been answered. If there are none ...ok. So. That does not change the fact thats more states than not SUPPORT the 2nd ammendment. It appears that is an issue you wish to deflect. But that changes nothing. Gettin' lonely out there in DC?.
No there is a question that is calling out an Internet poser:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday

Gee - over 20 states LEGISLATURES passing similar resolutions - yet the God of the Boards - Mr. Knowitall - Richurch KNOWS the legislature won't do anything!

Oh yeah - I forgot. Richurch runs the Government. He said so
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch
Please list the states that have passed secession legislation in the last 5 years. Link to the legislation.

{This will be a long wait}

Old 03-18-2009, 03:24 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
No there is a question that is calling out an Internet poser:
Internet poser? Lol, you got coconuts amigo. Especially for a guy who pins all his arguments on total personal opinion and can't make an admission of error. LMAO, can you point out my "posing" for me please? I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage there. Lol, thats a first

Old 03-18-2009, 04:03 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
And that's the EXACT mentality that most of the US has today !!! Money for nothing... and your chicks for free ! Everyone has their hand out anymore.

If MT (or any other state for that matter) ever did decide to secede to preserve liberty and principals this country was founded on, count me in... I will fight to the death for it, just as our forefathers did and many after them... As the stupid ass yuppies look at me like I'm some kind of crazed nut job.

That's right... I'll fight today to give you the rights you deserve so you can turn around and try to give them away tomorrow... but your not giving my rights away today ! It took guns, guts and brains to create this country and it will take 100x that from those who care to keep those who don't from giving what liberties are left away !
I took an oath to defend the constitution. I'm a veteran. I'm religious. I was born and raised blue state. I live in a red state now, but that could easily change tommorow. Maybe it will be a white state instead.

I'm many things. Do I sound like a yuppie? Have I asked for anything? What entitlement have I requested? Who has payed my taxes all these decades? Did I have an option to not pay them as others did? Did I write the letter and verse of tax law? Which citizens, left/ right/in between, had the power line item by line item to vote yay or nay? What stereotypes have you sold yourself? When everything is wrong, you're OK about laying blame upon anyone else but yourself?

Your purpose would be better served directing your ire at behavior and mentality than at people (who are in the same boat if you haven't noticed). If there were alternative perspectives offered, they just might see wisdom more clearly themselves. Competing with Rush tactics makes moderates entirely deaf.

------------------
Quote:
My enemy is not my fellow citizens. My enemy is lies.
Every time I find a conservative who is an enemy of lies, I find my America.
Every time I find a liberal who is an enemy of lies, I find my America.
I do not care what their religion is, what generation, what color state or skin. This for me is the only 'for me or against me' affinity argument worthy of enlistment.
Let my America stand on truth. ~Harborlady

Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Internet poser? Lol, you got coconuts amigo. Especially for a guy who pins all his arguments on total personal opinion and can't make an admission of error. LMAO, can you point out my "posing" for me please? I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage there. Lol, thats a first
TYPO- 'poster' was obvious to me. The question still remains unanswered as per usual by great day. Anyone claiming to have the whole magilla perfectly figured ought be ready to explain, right?

Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
TYPO- 'poster' was obvious to me. The question still remains unanswered as per usual by great day. Anyone claiming to have the whole magilla perfectly figured ought be ready to explain, right?
It wasn't a typo, though I do that a lot and it wasn't directed at you or NV. It should be completely clear if you just read the post.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Montana passed no such legislation. It was one politician shooting off his big mouth looking for face time on TV.
Feb 07,2009 Worldnetdaily
NEW YORK – As the Obama administration attempts to push through Congress a nearly $1 trillion deficit spending plan that is weighted heavily toward advancing typically Democratic-supported social welfare programs, a rebellion against the growing dominance of federal control is beginning to spread at the state level.

So far, eight states have introduced resolutions declaring state sovereignty under the Ninth and Tenth Amendment to the Constitution, including Arizona, Hawaii, Montana, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, Oklahoma and Washington.

Analysts expect that in addition, another 20 states may see similar measures introduced this year, including Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Nevada, Maine and Pennsylvania.

"What we are trying to do is to get the U.S. Congress out of the state's business," Oklahoma Republican state Sen. Randy Brogdon told WND.

Quote Feb 21,2009 "Secy of State Brad Johnson of Montana delivered a letter to the Washington Times about possible outcomes of the Heller decision.

Second Amendment an individual right

The U.S. Supreme Court will soon decide D.C. v. Heller, the first case in more than 60 years in which the court will confront the meaning of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Although Heller is about the constitutionality of the D.C. handgun ban, the court’s decision will have an impact far beyond the District (”Promises breached,” Op-Ed, Thursday).

The court must decide in Heller whether the Second Amendment secures a right for individuals to keep and bear arms or merely grants states the power to arm their militias, the National Guard. This latter view is called the “collective rights” theory.

A collective rights decision by the court would violate the contract by which Montana entered into statehood, called the Compact With the United States and archived at Article I of the Montana Constitution. When Montana and the United States entered into this bilateral contract in 1889, the U.S. approved the right to bear arms in the Montana Constitution, guaranteeing the right of “any person” to bear arms, clearly an individual right.

There was no assertion in 1889 that the Second Amendment was susceptible to a collective rights interpretation, and the parties to the contract understood the Second Amendment to be consistent with the declared Montana constitutional right of “any person” to bear arms.

As a bedrock principle of law, a contract must be honored so as to give effect to the intent of the contracting parties. A collective rights decision by the court in Heller would invoke an era of unilaterally revisable contracts by violating the statehood contract between the United States and Montana, and many other states.

Numerous Montana lawmakers have concurred in a resolution raising this contract-violation issue. It’s posted at progunleaders.org. The United States would do well to keep its contractual promise to the states that the Second Amendment secures an individual right now as it did upon execution of the statehood contract.

BRAD JOHNSON Montana secretary of state Helena, Mont. Montana, the Second Amendment and D.C. v. Heller"

Excerpts fromt the resolution:

WHEREAS, when the Court determines in Heller whether or not the Second Amendment secures an individual right, the Court will establish precedent that will affect the State of Montana and the political rights of the citizens of Montana;

WHEREAS, when Montana entered into statehood in 1889, that entrance was accomplished by a contract between Montana and the several states, a contract known as The Compact With The United States (Compact), found today as Article I of the Montana Constitution;

WHEREAS, with authority from Congress acting as agent for the several states, President Benjamin Harrison approved the Montana Constitution in 1889, which secured the right of “any person” to bear arms, clearly intended as an individual right and an individual right deemed consistent then with the Second Amendment by the parties to the contract;

…………
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED by the undersigned members of the 60th Montana Legislature as follows:

1. That any form of “collective rights” holding by the Court in Heller will offend the Compact; and………4. Montana reserves all usual rights and remedies under historic contract law if its Compact should be violated by any “collective rights” holding in Heller.

A full list of the "ONE" politician that shot his mouth off..Officials concurring Looks to be over 20 to me.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
A full list of the "ONE" politician that shot his mouth off..Officials concurring Looks to be over 20 to me.
Well thank you sir. I've obviously vastly underestimated the level of support for this issue in Montana. By my count that's 41/150 state senators and representatives together with the secretary of state and Montana's Congressional Representative.

I think that still leaves your side well short of an ability to pass legislation doesn't it?

Old 03-18-2009, 04:36 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Nobody sees the bigger picture do they... Everyone thinks it is just a bunch of wingnuts making trouble. The stupidity of the American people will be the death of this country !!! We already have one foot in the grave because of it... and most of the people are kicking at the other leg and don't even know it!
You're right on both counts. The stupidity of the American people will be the death of this country. And it is just a bunch of wingnuts--the problem, however, is that the wingnuts are the ones who seem to be interested in doing the legwork to get their agenda passed, while everyone else sits around and laughs at them.

Laughing at wingnuts is a dangerous practice, because they haven't got a sense of humor and are unaffected by it. They should be stamped out as quickly as possible. Not doing so is, or will be, the fatal error made by the rest of the American population.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:20 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
When everything is wrong, you're OK about laying blame upon anyone else but yourself?

Your purpose would be better served directing your ire at behavior and mentality than at people (who are in the same boat if you haven't noticed). If there were alternative perspectives offered, they just might see wisdom more clearly themselves. Competing with Rush tactics makes moderates entirely deaf.
If there's any blame what so ever to lay on myself for anything in this life, I'll be the first to lay it and lay it on heavy for what ever it's worth. Society loves to place blame and at the same time does nothing about it. But as long as blame is laid, society collectively is happy ! I have absolutely no issues if anyone wants to blame me for anything. Hell, blame me for the economy if it makes one feel better !!! Blame is a bull**** word as far as I'm concerned. It means and fixes NOTHING. Action regarding issues does and "blame" has no part in that !

If you take a look at many of my posts, mentality and behavior is just what I point out in many topics I discuss because many of those topics are not the result of just one person. My comments were not directed at any one person. Are you personally offended by them ?

And yes I do feel I talk to the wall a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies