Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 10:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My lord the irony.
I hate to say it, but I'm with you on this. And I'm not saying this with regard to Residinghere, who I feel has never conveyed a victim attitude.

Last edited by MPowering1; 10-23-2016 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Will note that I agree with this. I've worked in both government and corpporate environments and at one location for a corporate location that was a government contractor and I worked in an HR capacity.

Even in right to work states corporations now will be sure to document workplace issues to limit HR or EEOC lawsuits.

However, I'll also note that we did this for ALL employees and that ALL employees can and will sue if htey feel they are slighted in some way usually by saying they were discriminated against based on them being in a "protected class." People fail to realize that every single American is a part of a "protected class" and that even in right to work states, it is illegal to fire someone based on their being a part of a protected class. People in the workplace know this and when they are fired, they will skew a situation to make it seem like they were discriminated against. In the few years I handled HR at that particular company, due to us have our ducks in a row, none of those lawsuits were ever successful (and FWIW we were usually sued by men, both white and black due to them feeling they were discriminated against based on their race/gender. The gender one because they had female managers/bosses in many instances). But that is true that corporations have adopted a lot of the practices of government in this regard and even though I hated all that documentation, I now understand that it is a good thing to do so when something happens, the slighted, fired employee will have nothing to stand on in regards to a lawsuit.
Since you worked in HR surely you know it's not 'right to work' but 'at will'.

Right to work laws prevent agreements between employers and labor unions that would require membership in the union or the payment of union dues, as a condition of employment.

At will simply means both the employer and employee have the right to end the relationship for any reason, at any time, without just cause and without warning, as long as the reason is not an illegal one, such as discrimination.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer2016 View Post
I think this is not true. Even black men do not want to date black women.

Do You Have A Racial Preference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjSh_esW9W4
Most black men date black women. Over 85% of black men are married to a black woman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're confused, for some reason. I never said people were coming up to me and saying these things. I said not a day goes by where I don't hear about it or read about it. And that's the truth.

I also never said it was black people saying this, I said it was the media and progressives. I think while most black people are Democrats, I don't believe most are on the far left / progressive side. It's the hippie dippie white tree huggers.

The talk of shame, white privilege, etc., usually comes from white people and the media, although some black people have picked up the phrase and now use it, too. I've been consistent in conveying this, so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming in.

My frustration with our exchange was 1) I don't like having to continue explaining myself and 2) you kept going off topic by pointing out how people negatively post about black folks. Do you really think I'm unaware of this? And what does it have to do with what I posted, which was in response to the OP's initial question? I've consistently stated here I think it has nothing to do with black people, and everything to do with the hypocrisy of the media and progressives. I even refer to it in one post in this thread as feigned outrage that people are getting upset about black clubs, black dorms, etc. because it has to do not with those things, but with the double standard for those things by the media and progressives.

I cannot make it any clearer.
The bold IMO needs you need to tune out of those outlets. You wouldn't have to explain yourself if you didn't buy into whoever is telling you these things and I agree it is the media. The progressive left media wants to frame a particular picture of black people in America IMO which is not based in reality. IMO they are trying to get you and the entire populace agitated about things that do not matter and fracture our nation based on superficial things in order to make advertising dollars and we should not buy into it IMO.

ETA: This is a common topic of many black media outlets - the fact that mainstream media mis-represents black America, unfortunately too many black Americans buy into this as well.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Also MPowering1 I specifically stated that my issues in regard to this thread in particular was the fact that anytime this sort of question comes up on this forum, some white poster will bring up Black History Month, BET, UNCF scholarships or HBCUs as supposed "proof" of some double standard against white people.

I just stated I get sick of it similar to how you get sick of the topic of white privilege and how all whites are racist. I was attempting to show a common ground in regards to many times posters and media portray these things as valid issues when they are not valid issues and they are not examples of some sort of double standard or reverse racism against white people. Also, that black people do not exclude whites from any organizations other than those who are strict black nationalistic minded groups who are labeled as hate groups.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:02 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJ13 View Post
If they believe all live matter then why didn't they just call the movement from the start and avoid the whole racial issue? it actually started off as a social media phrase that became a hashtag and then grew from there. The three women that stared the movement actually don't behave anything like what's seen on TV by its supporters.

Personally I don't care about the movements whether it be Black Lives Matter, Asian Lives Matter, Hispanic Lives Matter, whatever.

But, if they represent everyone, in response to your All Lives Matter comment then why are they only protesting when a cop kills a black person? If what you say is true then why not a white or Hispanic person? Why don't they protest the inner city murders of Chicago, Baltimore and the like? Is it because those killed by cops matter more?
I've often wondered why the movement didn't protest the inner city murders of Chicago, however there are other groups (usually local) that do but it's just that they get no attention.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 10-23-2016 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Simple, when society says one group is allowed to do something while another is not, it's a problem that draws attention.
none of the things in the above article are black only. They are simply black centric, and in most cases, it isnt even on purpose.

White people can be involved in BET, work for it, have music on it, but that wont change the fact that mostly black people watch the channel and listen to the music.

White people have always been allowed to go to HBCU's but HBCU's exist because black people werent allowed to go to all white schools.

obviously white people can be a part of the NAACP

Old 10-23-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:

The bold IMO needs you need to tune out of those outlets. You wouldn't have to explain yourself if you didn't buy into whoever is telling you these things and I agree it is the media. The progressive left media wants to frame a particular picture of black people in America IMO which is not based in reality. IMO they are trying to get you and the entire populace agitated about things that do not matter and fracture our nation based on superficial things in order to make advertising dollars and we should not buy into it IMO.

ETA: This is a common topic of many black media outlets - the fact that mainstream media mis-represents black America, unfortunately too many black Americans buy into this as well.

I shouldn't have to explain what I've posted at all, more than once, in my opinion. And for the record, I'm not buying into it, I'm simply sick of hearing about it.

The progressive left and the media are not at all trying to frame a picture of black people with this convoluted language - they're trying to paint an evil picture about white males. It's what the hippie dippie's do. White people are evil for not wanting *refugees* into the country, etc. If you, as a black person, think they've been trying to portray black people poorly, then you don't get the thinking of the progressives.

I do agree, and have also posted, that the media is attempting to divide us all so we're focusing on that instead of what's really going on. So on that point, I'm with you.

Quote:
Also MPowering1 I specifically stated that my issues in regard to this thread in particular was the fact that anytime this sort of question comes up on this forum, some white poster will bring up Black History Month, BET, UNCF scholarships or HBCUs as supposed "proof" of some double standard against white people.

I just stated I get sick of it similar to how you get sick of the topic of white privilege and how all whites are racist. I was attempting to show a common ground in regards to many times posters and media portray these things as valid issues when they are not valid issues and they are not examples of some sort of double standard or reverse racism against white people. Also, that black people do not exclude whites from any organizations other than those who are strict black nationalistic minded groups who are labeled as hate groups.

It didn't come across as wanting to show a common ground, it came across as a sort of tit for tat. And I still don't see what that has to do with the original question about why some white people spend time concerning themselves with what black people are doing.

My posts about white people being tired of hearing certain things, and pointing to the double standard answers the OP's question. To me, it would have been better to explore that part of what I was saying, rather than say, 'yeah, well us, too', which doesn't further the discussion about the topic.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about how this took a turn I didn't really want it to take. The how, doesn't really matter. Does it?

If it matters to you, we can continue to hash it out.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I've often wondered why the movement didn't protest the inner city murders of Chicago, however there are other groups (usually local) that do but it's just that they get no attention.
Where I live we have about 3 active groups that are involved in BLM. They were involved in community activism and decreasing violence in black neighborhoods since the late 1990s. They are still involved in doing those things a majority of the time; however the local media only shows them on TV and on newspapers in relation to BLM protests.

As I stated above, media wants to portray a certain image of black people. It is not a good ideal for blacks or the majority of the populace to buy into their ideas of our social activists organizations.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I shouldn't have to explain what I've posted at all, more than once, in my opinion. And for the record, I'm not buying into it, I'm simply sick of hearing about it.

The progressive left and the media are not at all trying to frame a picture of black people with this convoluted language - they're trying to paint an evil picture about white males. It's what the hippie dippie's do. White people are evil for not wanting *refugees* into the country, etc. If you, as a black person, think they've been trying to portray black people poorly, then you don't get the thinking of the progressives.

I do agree, and have also posted, that the media is attempting to divide us all so we're focusing on that instead of what's really going on. So on that point, I'm with you.

I don't want to hash out the other stuff as IMO it is not all that important, but I did want to point out about the bold.

Mainstream media, especially left leaning, progressive outlets, continue to portray black people as being predominantly poor and suffering people who are victims of racism in every aspect of o ur lives. That is why, I bet you get sick of them framing you as the evil white man about us in particular.

They also frame us as not being able to "help our communities."

They frame us as predominantly problematic people who are filled with dysfunction, something that is contrary to the vast majority of black Americans today. They do not speak of the upward trajectory that black people have made in nearly every social measure since the 1950s. Instead they run stupid stories that uphold a negative, helpless image of black Americans.

IMO this is a HUGE issue. I am a very socially involved person and I make it a point to volunteer when and where I can and I frequently volunteer with young people (teen to 20 somethings) and I am always saddened and astonished that they believe, due to media influence, that they have to be a certain way to be black. That they believe that all black people are primarily poor and criminally involved. That those poor black people are "victims" of the system, like you have mentioned. This is a VERY negative portrayal of black Americans and it causes pervasive stereotypes to be ingrained in our youth that many times are not fully dismantled even by adulthood and life's experiences.

So I see the media as a huge contributor to the negative depiction of black people. Above I mentioned that you don't ever hear of any social activist group today on media other than those involved in BLM protests. This is true. When there are issues in certain cities and activist are peacefully addressing those issues, you will not hear about it on media. Only if violence happens do you hear about it. This serves to portray black people as violent savages IMO and in the opinion of many other black people.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I don't want to hash out the other stuff as IMO it is not all that important, but I did want to point out about the bold.

Mainstream media, especially left leaning, progressive outlets, continue to portray black people as being predominantly poor and suffering people who are victims of racism in every aspect of our lives. That is why, I bet you get sick of them framing you as the evil white man about us in particular.

They also frame us as not being able to "help our communities."

They frame us as predominantly problematic people who are filled with dysfunction, something that is contrary to the vast majority of black Americans today. They do not speak of the upward trajectory that black people have made in nearly every social measure since the 1950s. Instead they run stupid stories that uphold a negative, helpless image of black Americans.

IMO this is a HUGE issue. I am a very socially involved person and I make it a point to volunteer when and where I can and I frequently volunteer with young people (teen to 20 somethings) and I am always saddened and astonished that they believe, due to media influence, that they have to be a certain way to be black. That they believe that all black people are primarily poor and criminally involved. That those poor black people are "victims" of the system, like you have mentioned. This is a VERY negative portrayal of black Americans and it causes pervasive stereotypes to be ingrained in our youth that many times are not fully dismantled even by adulthood and life's experiences.

So I see the media as a huge contributor to the negative depiction of black people. Above I mentioned that you don't ever hear of any social activist group today on media other than those involved in BLM protests. This is true. When there are issues in certain cities and activist are peacefully addressing those issues, you will not hear about it on media. Only if violence happens do you hear about it. This serves to portray black people as violent savages IMO and in the opinion of many other black people.
Really glad you don't want to hash out the other stuff. The Cubs are going to the World Series, I don't have to watch the Bears lose since they're not playing, so I'm not leaving my happy place today...lol.

To be clear, let me state there are three separate things going on that I referenced, and I'm only going into detail because I don't want all three things lumped into one.

Hearing things like 'you're not doing enough' comes from work. We got a new HR person last year and this is all I hear. More than a third of my staff are black or Hispanic. We also have Asians on top of that. When I say 'my staff', I mean Directors, their people, and the Managers that report to them, and those who report to the Managers. I have gone out of my way to develop a team that checks itself for biases with regard to age, gender, race, looks, and I pride myself on having a team that hires the best candidates possible. But she's constantly hammering the VP's saying we're not doing enough, even having individual conversations with us, and I'm ready to tell her to take a hike. The others may not be doing enough, I don't really know, but I can sleep at night and have better things to do with my time. Oh, and she has used the phrase 'white privilege' now that I'm thinking of it.

The media - I think most outlets tend to lean to the left. I don't read any progressive news outlets. The media does cover plenty of stories about universities and professors and classes, and other things, that if you do read a good deal of news, you're going to see this, even if you just glance at the headline. And part of my job is to keep up with business news, which I do by reading business related news outlets, but also scour other media for news about smaller businesses that may not make those publications. It's hard to go onto a news site and jump straight into the business section without seeing other news. Every day I see SOMETHING about this or hear something about this, on the news or radio. I don't expect everyone to hear it as often as I do, but they're hearing it frequently or reading about it, via the news.

Now the progressives. The former hippies. I have some friends who are progressives. These people will, on occasion, use phrases like, 'white shame', 'white guilt', and 'white privilege'. We generally don't get into those kinds of discussions, but this is where their heads are at.

Quote:
Mainstream media, especially left leaning, progressive outlets, continue to portray black people as being predominantly poor and suffering people who are victims of racism in every aspect of our lives. That is why, I bet you get sick of them framing you as the evil white man about us in particular.

It's not hearing new about minorities, it's the slam that's included with the news in an effort to manipulate.

Here's an example. Regular television channels that everyone gets for free, will do a story about illegals entering the country. And then someone will be interviewed and the sound byte the segment ends with is something like, "We know white men want to maintain control of the country, but it's just racist to keep those in poverty from attaining the American Dream we've all been privileged with."

Now they've targeted white men. They aren't making a distinction between people who are pro-immigration but against illegal immigration. They imply this is a heartless decision on the part of white men who simply want to maintain some sort of control over the country. They pretty much state we're racist. That we want to keep those in poverty poor. And that we're selfishly denying those who want to attain the American Dream that we've been blessed with.

This is on any media outlet, by the way, whether liberal or conservative or even those that are neutral, that you can view this kind of thing. You may not be hearing it the way I do, because you're a black woman, but now that I've pointed it out, you may get what I'm talking about.

Now, onto the way the media portrays black people. I get some of that, but didn't really think through all that you've posted. Now that you've mentioned that, I can see what you're saying. So they're really doing everyone a disservice.

I've often thought it odd that the media can be so left leaning in their views, and air the worst examples of black people in a way they don't do with any other group.

The Chicago Tribune has covered peaceful protests by black activists, and I've posted about those in this forum, but those never ever make national news.

A part of me is sick of hearing phrases like school to prison pipeline. And the people aired do have a victim mentality, it's true. But that's not what this specific frustration is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies