Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 09:29 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Also that it seems many white people are making themselves "victims" because they tune too much into media whether it be on TV or online. If you are constantly tuning yourself into media outlets that are telling you about blacks or other people of color speaking ill of you, then you need to unplug from those outlets that are influencing your view on this.
My lord the irony.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Just once...I would like to see a black person admit that there are at least some black people who unfairly take advantage of the "system". That is really not a fair way to describe what this woman did. She took advantage of two of her co-workers,using the color of her skin to an unfair advantage. But your answer is "oh no don't blame her" Blame the system. This system your talking about is what millions of white people fought for for Black people. Even to this day I do the best I can to keep everything fair in my dealings with people. I relate it to my personal feelings toward my Three daughters. They are all equal in my eyes.......with each others differing faults they are still my daughters. As with Blacks, whites, Asians,ETC. They are all just..........people
This is silly to me, as are the examples of the black woman leaving the job. ALL people take advantage of the system .

Do you think that black people do it more????

That is ridiculous if you do and laughable to me. You brought up Asians. I worked in housing for many years and we had a VERY large Asian population in senior public housing because the children of these Asian immigrants (most of whom were S. Korean and who were not from poverty stricken families) would on paper abandon their parents. The parents would get social security disability even though they had NEVER worked in this country at all. They would get Medicaid or Medicare. They would get public housing units in very nice buildings (high end, new construction public housing in suburban communities). They played the system magnificently as did many whites, especially Russian immigrants. As did the black people in those units as well. Ironically we had few Latino residents, they were primarily Korean and black and white. ALL of them played the system.

So it is "the system." All people can and will use it to their advantage. Acting like you need to have some black person say to you - "oh those blacks they are always getting special treatment" is ridiculous considering ALL groups in this country do the same thing and you just overlook the other groups doing it. My aunt is an RN and has worked as a nursing manager for over 15 years and you would not believe the stories she says about Asian Americans and how lazy they are or African immigrants who do not want to "take orders" from a black American boss. So it goes all around and is not particular to one specific ethncity. The idea that you think it is IMO is ridiculous.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:34 AM

double post.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 10-23-2016 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
What I have observed from numerous years on this board is that non-blacks (usually whites) who create and participate in the "Why do black people....?" threads really are not seeking an answer to a specific question. What these people actually are seeking is a means to rant and vent all of their racist/prejudiced views. Despite many black posters giving our opinions, perspective or experience it tends to be dismissed.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

That is NOT my experience at all. One of the things the Fortunes did a great job with was to spend a lot of money training people who had staff reporting to them, and they repeated over and over the importance of detailed documentation when taking corrective action and terminating people.

Even small companies have come to see the importance of it, in today's litigious society.
Will note that I agree with this. I've worked in both government and corpporate environments and at one location for a corporate location that was a government contractor and I worked in an HR capacity.

Even in right to work states corporations now will be sure to document workplace issues to limit HR or EEOC lawsuits.

However, I'll also note that we did this for ALL employees and that ALL employees can and will sue if htey feel they are slighted in some way usually by saying they were discriminated against based on them being in a "protected class." People fail to realize that every single American is a part of a "protected class" and that even in right to work states, it is illegal to fire someone based on their being a part of a protected class. People in the workplace know this and when they are fired, they will skew a situation to make it seem like they were discriminated against. In the few years I handled HR at that particular company, due to us have our ducks in a row, none of those lawsuits were ever successful (and FWIW we were usually sued by men, both white and black due to them feeling they were discriminated against based on their race/gender. The gender one because they had female managers/bosses in many instances). But that is true that corporations have adopted a lot of the practices of government in this regard and even though I hated all that documentation, I now understand that it is a good thing to do so when something happens, the slighted, fired employee will have nothing to stand on in regards to a lawsuit.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe blacks could do it covertly like everyone else.

Despite what everyone is saying,everyone does it.

For example,you do not hear Indians or Chinese announce "Chinese School".

WHat they do is hire only other Chinese,go to a school and live in an area where they are the majority,etc.
I think this post goes back to the OP at hand. Black people actually do not go out and speak to everyone about our institutions. White media outlets come and investigate us and many organizations "study" black Americans and they write about these things and then we get all these non-black people in our business. The same is not done for Indians or Chinese or many Latino American communities. Black people do not go out of our way and never have to flaunt any sort of "black" organization in front of white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It depends on the record-keeping. Edward Ball's book Slaves In The Family, in which he researched his ancestors' slaves and tracked down some of their descendants, was able to be written because the Ball family kept meticulous records over the centuries.
On this, many of my enslaved ancestors are from SC and the area that Edward Ball's book is about. Also, a couple lines of my enslaved ancestors were owned by the Hairston family and that family also had a book "The Haristons: An American Family in Black and White" written by Henry Wieneck. My family were owned by the Hairstons in Henry County, Virginia and the information that the Hairston family donated to the Virginia Archives and the University of Virginia allowed me to trace those enslaved ancestors back to the 1700s. So I agree it depends on the record keeping, however, for slavery researchers, all plantation owners had to, at one point in time, have a tax assessment done on their "property" and due to slaves being considered property, many times, those slaves are listed by name/age and in family group in old tax and probate court records. Many black Americans today just are not adept in slavery research, which can be difficult but is made much easier, if like me you find you have a lot of ancestors who were owned by people who held large plantations and kept very good genealogical and value records regarding their chattel slaves.

Due to this, I am always happy when I find a group of my family who were owned by a large plantation owner as I am always certain to find more information that I can about those ancestors who were owned by physicians or small farmers or in various cities.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I like politics. I like talking politics. But I can't tell you the last time I heard "white privilege" brought up any place but here. It's been more than half a year for sure.

My guess is that because you dwell on the topic, you spend too much time in places where it is constantly brought up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Wow. I didn't expect this coming from you, but okay.

Do you work? Read various papers? Watch the news?

My guess is you're not getting out in the world or keeping up with current topics.

Phetaroi stated what I felt as well.

On your questions I do work. I never hear anyone mention white privilege or any controversial topics at all. Even during this election season we have not had anyone say anything about politics either.

I don't read a lot of newspapers either online or print because like I stated earlier, they are meant to sensationalize minor events that rarely occur in our day to day lives.

I also don't watch much news because they are the same as above.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What I have observed from numerous years on this board is that non-blacks (usually whites) who create and participate in the "Why do black people....?" threads really are not seeking an answer to a specific question. What these people actually are seeking is a means to rant and vent all of their racist/prejudiced views. Despite many black posters giving our opinions, perspective or experience it tends to be dismissed.
ITA with this as well.

Especially in relation to the months and BET and HBCUs, etc. I personally have repeatedly stated that there are European ethnic months, info about BET's history, and about HBCU's history and the fact that white people are not excluded from HBCUs or UNCF scholarships.

They still rant and act like everything they see on TV or via media or on various crime statistics is the truth about all black people as a whole when it is not. Then try to turn it around and say they are victims and are perceived in a demeaning way.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My lord the irony.
Where's the irony at?

I never said that many black people don't do the same things. I think most Americans do this and they fall for what I call "the okey-doke."

Sorry, but I am not one who will just believe what some random internet person who says they are a journalist tells me. I am not dumb enough to believe that everything on the news I see/hear about "white people" or "black people" or any group of people is the entire truth. More Americans IMO need to tune out of this crap.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:39 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I specifically mentioned that I doubt people in your personal life are coming up to you and saying you have "white privilege."

Also that it seems many white people are making themselves "victims" because they tune too much into media whether it be on TV or online. If you are constantly tuning yourself into media outlets that are telling you about blacks or other people of color speaking ill of you, then you need to unplug from those outlets that are influencing your view on this. This is the main reason why I do not watch cable TV news. They misrepresent real black people all the time just l like all media outlets do both on TV and online. You should not believe that a majority of black people are going around telling you you have "white privilege." I doubt more than 3 people have ever said that to you in real life. I have never said that to anyone in real life.

And again, the whining I mentioned was specifically that whites, such as those earlier in this threads whining about BET and Miss Black America and the UNCF. No one, nor myself has told you to be "ashamed" or that you are a "racist." You are putting all of this on yourself and IMO you are doing it because you are too invested in watching/reading media outlets. And again, it is usually white people telling you these things via media, not black people. I listen to black media. Rarely do they discuss "white privilege" at all. I especially listen a lot to black talk radio and they primarily criticize black people, not white people. Contrary to what your media is telling you, we really do not think about "the white man" like you think we do, nor do we "blame" you for your "problems." All of the stuff I see on this site in particular shows that too many of you white men buy too much in mainstream media and into right wing media that makes rare ocurrences seem like they are commonplace and IMO too much of our populace falls for this instead of looking at reality around them. I don't base my personal feelings regarding "racism" or "stereotypes" or anything on what media shows me. I base it on my own experiences, my study of history (and espcially in regards to black history), and my real life relationships because that stuff is "real." Anything on TV and the internet is not "real" to me.
You're confused, for some reason. I never said people were coming up to me and saying these things. I said not a day goes by where I don't hear about it or read about it. And that's the truth.

I also never said it was black people saying this, I said it was the media and progressives. I think while most black people are Democrats, I don't believe most are on the far left / progressive side. It's the hippie dippie white tree huggers.

The talk of shame, white privilege, etc., usually comes from white people and the media, although some black people have picked up the phrase and now use it, too. I've been consistent in conveying this, so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming in.

My frustration with our exchange was 1) I don't like having to continue explaining myself and 2) you kept going off topic by pointing out how people negatively post about black folks. Do you really think I'm unaware of this? And what does it have to do with what I posted, which was in response to the OP's initial question? I've consistently stated here I think it has nothing to do with black people, and everything to do with the hypocrisy of the media and progressives. I even refer to it in one post in this thread as feigned outrage that people are getting upset about black clubs, black dorms, etc. because it has to do not with those things, but with the double standard for those things by the media and progressives.

I cannot make it any clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies