Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 01:41 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Why do you have to impose your political beliefs on marriage and everything else. Marriage preceded the US government and many other governments.
It also preceded religion, which is the only argument used to deny gay & lesbian people their right to marry.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It also preceded religion, which is the only argument used to deny gay & lesbian people their right to marry.
Nothing preceded religion. It is part of human evolution.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:04 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Maybe people are starting to really other peoples' marriages are none of their damn business.
Marriage is recognized by the society, not by two individuals.
You can argue you do not care about marriage, but it is wrong to say it is not other people's business.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:20 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Straights, gays, bisexuals and asexuals always had the same rights to marry someone of the opposite sex.
Please... this is idiotic statement. You know very well that sexual orientation is absolutely a factor of who you want to couple with. When you choose a mate (as a straight person), you are absolutely going to check that that person is of the opposite sex.

One has the free will to choose according to their preferences.

The other has only to choose against their preferences against their free will.

That is not even close to the definition of "same rights". Free will vs against their will.

Even the very conservative religious anti-LGBT don't frame the issue in that manner... they simply oppose it.

State what your beliefs and thoughts... make a case for it. But don't be disingenuous just to say the opposite... you certainly seem more intelligent than that.

You previous statement was keeping sexual orientation out of the public. The argument you made specifically requires you to legislate "opposite sex" into the legal definition of marriage.. thereby making a public issue. You are contradicting yourself.

Recall, that I support removing marriage from legislature all together. That's the only way to keep sexual orientation out of the public... by making no considerations for it. You want to get married? Go ahead... do it in church of your choosing that would support your vision of marriage. Keep it personal and out of everyone's business.

Last edited by usayit; 11-21-2016 at 03:40 AM..

Old 11-21-2016, 03:35 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Nothing preceded religion. It is part of human evolution.
Nothing to do with government legislature. You set aside separation of church and state at your convenience... and throw in human evolution as an excuse. Again.. being disingenuous.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:49 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
What do you feel when you read the thread title?

Just 20 years ago, I could make this statement and there would hardly be a cringe among a crowd.

Today, it is seen as taboo; as if a damning slander suddenly leaped out of the dark ages. Heck, someone might close this very thread.

Why is this? How is it that a societal opinion can change so quickly, and so fiercely?
Why do you care? It doesn't hurt you, it's none of your business. What do I feel when I read the title? Nothing, as long as your non support doesn't affect my family and loved ones. I don't care if you like it or hate it, just leave those of us who are supportive because we are gay or have gay family members alone.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because homosexuals are consenting adults, not child molesters or beastiality practitioners. They aren't hurting anybody, so let them be married if they want
So simple, isn't it?

Old 11-21-2016, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
I don't care what happens in people's bedrooms. Marriage isn't about what happens in the bedroom, it's a scared religious ceremony that has been practiced for thousands of years.

Now that the state stepped in on this, why cannot several hundred consenting women marry some rich guy? Or are you going to deflect the question again?

In the USA marriage is a civil contract. Many have religious weddings but it's not required.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Absolutely.

The gays are mostly hypocrites. They demand to parade in the streets,
they have their non-profit charities which raise millions for gay causes,
they lobby for political efforts, like gay marriage, gay adoption and
normalization of perversion in sexual medias.
They are forcing our children to be brought up to approve of their lifestyles,
and bully them into not having an expressable opinion.

We have to fight against them with no quarter, quash them like we always
have, stuff them into a corner and give them no rights in the public square.

That is my never-changing conviction, I am 100% against homosexual "marriage",
always will be.. and I'm also against gay adoption, gays using surrogates
to make children, and against any protections for them based on sexual activities.
Really? Couldn't tell. "The gays".

Old 11-21-2016, 04:02 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Perhaps the question should be rephrased....

All you gay marriage supporters, 8 years ago did you share the same opinion as you do now or did you have some sort of epiphany?

Even Obama didn't agree with this 8 years ago.
I personally think civil unions should be legal, but allowing the term "marriage" should be up to the states. Every state determines what's socially acceptable for marriage from age of consent to definition of incest.

As much as everybody is pretending to have a live and let live attitude, we all know most people have a level of tolerance of what they'd actually find socially acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies