Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:41 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
How do I feel when someone says they don't "support" gay marriage? I feel like you're entitled to your opinion, but not that you're entitled to dictate your feelings to restrict the rights of others.

So long as the government is in the business of licensing marriages, there is no rational basis to not allow gay people to marry each other.

Don't like interracial marriage? Don't get one.
Don't like inter-religious marriage? Don't get one.
Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one.

See how that works?
exactly!

Old 11-19-2016, 08:54 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
bahaha! Yeah, that's right. People have only been getting beaten since Trump decided to run for President.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States
So about 100 or less incidents since 1979 assuming none were coincidental? Your list shows only 2 incidents since Trump started his run. I can think off hand of many more instances with video proof of assaults and bigotry against Trump supporters during the past 18 months. I'll bet there is no special wiki page for these people. Regardless, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
How do I feel when someone says they don't "support" gay marriage? I feel like you're entitled to your opinion, but not that you're entitled to dictate your feelings to restrict the rights of others.

So long as the government is in the business of licensing marriages, there is no rational basis to not allow gay people to marry each other.

Don't like interracial marriage? Don't get one.
Don't like inter-religious marriage? Don't get one.
Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one.

See how that works?
Can I marry several consenting women? Maybe a very wealthy man wants to marry several hundred. Who does that hurt? If you don't like polygamy just don't marry into one.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:01 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Can I marry several consenting women? Maybe a very wealthy man wants to marry several hundred. Who does that hurt? If you don't like polygamy just don't marry into one.
Possibly. First you need to start trying to get state bans on polygamy overturned and keep fighting all the way to the supreme court, just like same sex marriage advocates have been doing for decades.

Good luck.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:05 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
I posted in the relationship forum once that I don't think there are women out there who are truly happy with polygamy marriage. Several women and several men almost bite my head off.

Lesson learned for me, I should shut up about other people's bedroom choice. LOL There are very open minded women out there, who knew? lol

Old 11-19-2016, 09:12 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
That must have been horrible for them! Imagine, having to keep a secret about something you truly feel with every fiber of your being, for fear of being labeled. Ridiculed in public, and even beaten to death!
Exactly!!! But, I'm not sure s/he's going to understand nor are the others that also need to understand.

OP, believe what you want. Don't marry someone of your gender and you will be alright.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:14 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
What do you feel when you read the thread title?

Just 20 years ago, I could make this statement and there would hardly be a cringe among a crowd.

Today, it is seen as taboo; as if a damning slander suddenly leaped out of the dark ages. Heck, someone might close this very thread.

Why is this? How is it that a societal opinion can change so quickly, and so fiercely?
If you seriously want an answer, start here:

THE OVERHAULING OF STRAIGHT AMERICA -* By Marshall Kirk and Erastes Pill

Then read more in the book After The Ball. From the left Daily Kos, see how 'the LGBT rights movement has followed the book's advice quite closely.'

After the Ball: Lessons from the gay marriage fight

Though there wouldn't be legalized same sex marriage nationally without the SC ruling, the changes in 30 years or so were remarkable.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:15 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
That must have been horrible for them! Imagine, having to keep a secret about something you truly feel with every fiber of your being, for fear of being labeled. Ridiculed in public, and even beaten to death!
That happened with blacks and Jews and gays
Show me where a Trump supporter was beaten to death for his/her views???

Old 11-19-2016, 09:16 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Because the left has made up all sorts of fancy insults to hurl at you. I don't blame you for not wanting to be called a bunch if "-ist" and "-phobe" names.

It's this exact reason why Trump won in so many states. People were secret about their beliefs in fear of being labeled. When they got in the voting booth, they voted with their heart.
And they further proved all the labels agains them were 100% accurate. They are bigots, racists, and ignorant people. And for the record, Trump still lost the popular vote by millions, and only won the electoral votes by a very slim margin across 4 states.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That happened with blacks and Jews and gays
Show me where a Trump supporter was beaten to death for his/her views???
I can show you many cops killed in the past 2 years for solely being police. Why are they not advocated for on the same level? White people are overwhelmingly the target of racial violence in this country backed by Fbi statistics, yet there is no advocacy for whites on the level that blacks, gays, and other groups. There probably isn't a wiki page large enough to list the cops killed since the 70s let alone whites victim of hate crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.