Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 10:11 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Maybe people are starting to really other peoples' marriages are none of their damn business.

A marriage is a public act.

Marriage specifically and deliberately requires the state to regulate a sexual relationship via common law and a binding marriage contract.

If you want people to keep their nose out of your private affairs, keep your private affairs out of the public square.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
I can show you many cops killed in the past 2 years for solely being police. Why are they not advocated for on the same level? White people are overwhelmingly the target of racial violence in this country backed by Fbi statistics, yet there is no advocacy for whites on the level that blacks, gays, and other groups. There probably isn't a wiki page large enough to list the cops killed since the 70s let alone whites victim of hate crime.
That is a total deflection of my question about your post...
Killing anyone is not right--policeman, black, whatever...
And you are assuming that any policeman-woman killed was what? A Trump supporter...that is a big ask...

That was not the question--you know it but you can't back up your claim so you avoid/deflect...
Same as Trump does when put to the hard point of many questions about his own non-facts...

Old 11-19-2016, 10:19 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because homosexuals are consenting adults, not child molesters or beastiality practitioners. They aren't hurting anybody, so let them be married if they want
Mormons married to 5 women aren't hurting anyone but you Americans are throwing them in jail as it's against the law. Why?

I suppose if Donald Trump decided to marry a man tomorrow every American man is going to want to marry a man. Given anti-Trump people claim the one man Trump influences the whole of the entire nation negatively with his opinions, statements, and behavior but over 10 million gay people getting married in the USA, along with their gay parades with naked people on leashes, bearded men dressed as women, and vilifying Christianity and Christians has zero negative effects on Americans.

I'm not sure I'm against completely, gay parades like that in public, even though small American children are around in the USA.

Liberals have no problem with a naked woman being walked down a public street on a leash by her lesbian lover, even though children could potentially see this stuff. But those same liberals would have a stroke through holier than thou rage if a heterosexual parade of similar behavior occurred.

The liberals would be on TV and on this board yapping their hypocritical heads away about "the lack of common decency.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:20 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
A marriage is a public act.

Marriage specifically and deliberately requires the state to regulate a sexual relationship via common law and a binding marriage contract.

If you want people to keep their nose out of your private affairs, keep your private affairs out of the public square.
Hard to argue against that logic.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Personally I think we should remove marriage as being a legally recognized entity. The only recognition by the law should be for the children of these couples no matter who they are. Who is legally responsible, who can apply for tax breaks etc.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:32 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Absolutely.

The gays are mostly hypocrites. They demand to parade in the streets,
they have their non-profit charities which raise millions for gay causes,
they lobby for political efforts, like gay marriage, gay adoption and
normalization of perversion in sexual medias.
They are forcing our children to be brought up to approve of their lifestyles,
and bully them into not having an expressable opinion.

We have to fight against them with no quarter, quash them like we always
have, stuff them into a corner and give them no rights in the public square.

That is my never-changing conviction, I am 100% against homosexual "marriage",
always will be.. and I'm also against gay adoption, gays using surrogates
to make children, and against any protections for them based on sexual activities.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:36 AM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
What do you feel when you read the thread title?

Just 20 years ago, I could make this statement and there would hardly be a cringe among a crowd.

Today, it is seen as taboo; as if a damning slander suddenly leaped out of the dark ages. Heck, someone might close this very thread.

Why is this? How is it that a societal opinion can change so quickly, and so fiercely?
Saying, "I don't support _________" doesn't mean much to me at all.

For example, I don't support abortion. But that's not the same as saying "I don't support a woman's right to choose."

I don't support Donald Trump. I don't support most positions of the Republican Party. I don't support the concept of militias. I don't support the typical lyrics of rap songs.

Saying that I don't support something doesn't necessarily mean I don't accept that those "things" have a right to exist.

Did the media have a role in making gay-ness (in general) more acceptable? Probably.

But I have an 82 year old neighbor who isn't very swayed by the media. When the topic has come up, she says (in her own vernacular): "I don't have anything against 'the gays'. What they do has no affect on me." And I think that's the bottom line here. More and more straight Americans have come to the realization that gays living their lives has little to no actual affect on their (the straight people's) lives.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:39 AM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Personally, I find the thought of gay sex disgusting. I mean, a man sticking his penis into another man's butt hole? EEEEEEEh. However, I'm not in a position to tell consenting adults what they can or cannot do in their bedroom or who they can marry.

Gay marriage is legally protected in our country, and that's all there is to it.
Just for the record, you do realize that many straight people also have anal sex?

Old 11-19-2016, 10:45 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
I don't care what happens in people's bedrooms. Marriage isn't about what happens in the bedroom, it's a scared religious ceremony that has been practiced for thousands of years.

Now that the state stepped in on this, why cannot several hundred consenting women marry some rich guy? Or are you going to deflect the question again?
Marriage is only a 'sacred, religious ceremony' if it is held in a church.

These couples need civil, secular marriage for legal rights to health benefits and assets in case someone passes away. Why would anyone want to obstruct their rights?

Last edited by rosa surf; 11-19-2016 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 10:48 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
What do you feel when you read the thread title?

Just 20 years ago, I could make this statement and there would hardly be a cringe among a crowd.

Today, it is seen as taboo; as if a damning slander suddenly leaped out of the dark ages. Heck, someone might close this very thread.

Why is this? How is it that a societal opinion can change so quickly, and so fiercely?
Certain people now view homosexual behavior as a inborn trait like race, gender, or eye color. Therefore, they mentally have linked our bill of rights and equality to what has been traditionally viewed as a behavior, not a inborn trait. Murdering someone or assulting someone is a behavior that is not protected in our legal system.

However, it has been shown that most Americans do NOT support same sex marriage rights so the Supreme Court is actually ignoring the voice of the people and awarding that right to same gender couples in spite of public wishes.

People of faith which are silent on it because the last thing that people who are struggling with gender issues or loneliness need is a critic. You win people with love, not with hate. So, people who might criticize are silenced even by the detractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies