Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2016, 04:36 PM

613 posts, read 463,914 times

Advertisements

What a stupid thread. Gay people are living human beings just like anyone else and are entitled to the same rights. People are waking up to that. That shouldn't be frowned upon. It shows that the country is making progress, or was.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:38 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The Supreme Court disagrees, and your line of thought is outdated. You don't have to accept it, but there's nothing you can do about it. Social progress always moves forward.
The Supreme Court also said blacks couldn't be citizens. Do you agree with every ruling of SCOTUs? Gays getting survivor benefits intended for grandmothers and harassing Christian bakers isn't what I call progress. To me progress is keeping your sexual orientation out of the public sphere. They better not get affirmative action next, or I'll be really pissed .

Old 11-20-2016, 04:40 PM

613 posts, read 463,914 times
Why should people keep their sexuality a secret? Because it makes you uncomfortable???

Old 11-20-2016, 04:58 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
I think it has a lot to do with one's life experiences. I'm 64 and lean to the "curmudgeonly" side of most issues, but years ago I had the privilege of running a real estate company in West Hollywood where just about all of the residential agents were gay. Once you get to know people as PEOPLE instead of THOSE PEOPLE, you tend to soften your judgments about them and their concerns.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:08 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Compelling proof that "pray the gay away" is ineffectual and a waste of time and money is the story of the biggest "gay conversion" organization after many years admitted defeat, disbanded and apologized to their former clients and the LGBT community: Exodus International. EI was founded in 1975 but disbanded in 2014, nearly 40 years later. They were a Christian ministry with many chapters, well funded with millions of dollars, and during their existence claimed to have helped "hundreds" of "ex-gay" people. When pressed they couldn't come up with even one person who successfully changed from homosexual to heterosexual.

Another "ex-gay" religious affiliated group in New Jersey called JONAH was actually sued by a few of their former clients for being charlatans. The clients won in court, the organization was fined hefty amounts, and had to go out of business.

One problem with this discussion is no recognition of the fluidity of sexual orientation is noted ... there is such a thing of bisexuality.
Those "conversion" centers are akin to abuse and torture. California banned them a few years ago as have a few other states and countries.

I agree with your sexual fluidity comment but I think that may be too advanced for some. Baby steps.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:42 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because homosexuals are consenting adults, not child molesters or beastiality practitioners. They aren't hurting anybody, so let them be married if they want
What about brother and sister committing incest?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:50 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
To me progress is keeping your sexual orientation out of the public sphere.
I agree... That means straight people too.

You either provide the same couple rights to all or no couple rights anyone.... that keeps sexual orientation out of the discussion and thus out of public sphere.

The very act of singling out or exclusion by sexual orientation absolutely makes sexual orientation a public issue up for discussion.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:55 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Brother and sister incest is still a heterosexual act. Brother to brother is still considered incest. Sister to sister is still considered incest. Incest is not an issue related to sexual orientation but an entirely separate discussion.... (the potential harmful impact of inbreeding).

Old 11-20-2016, 08:32 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I agree... That means straight people too.

You either provide the same couple rights to all or no couple rights anyone.... that keeps sexual orientation out of the discussion and thus out of public sphere.

The very act of singling out or exclusion by sexual orientation absolutely makes sexual orientation a public issue up for discussion.
Straights, gays, bisexuals and asexuals always had the same rights to marry someone of the opposite sex.

Marriage was a 1000s of years old tradition and giving opposite-sex married couples some benefits served a social purpose. Gays serve no purpose. So I disagree.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
That has nothing to do with the issue, homosexuals are not related to each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies