Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 01:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
And your candidate dismissed many of Trump's supporters as deplorable and irredeemable. Maybe that's why she lost. No matter.

I was never a Trump fan but am eternally grateful to him for keeping her out of the White House. An added bonus is being able to see the anger/fear/hysteria among the elites on this board and elsewhere.

It's going to be a very fun 4 years.

Oh yeah, as far as President Trump's speech. It was so nice to hear him invoke God. I'm sure not a god-squadder but I know it drives the elites crazy.

OOPs, and they still have the audacity to take the oath swearing on a bible? They actually had a rabbi, bishop and pastor say a prayer after the President's speech? How dare they! Got to watch that stuff.
They take those on Bibles usually, do they not?

I could do without the God stuff, but that's not because it offends me personally (I'm agnostic), but because we have a separation of church and state afforded by the Constitution and I just find it odd that God gets dragged into stuff like it's the Christian God when the founders were largely Deists and were speaking of God in a "higher power" sense and not in a "fire and brimstone, Old Testament Christian Bible" sense.

Sure... she did say some of his supporters were deplorable. I agree with her, though I wonder why she said it.

And I also wonder why so many people who I would never have thought of as deplorable assume she was referring to them. LOL.

Maybe there were more that were deplorable than she realized? I don't know. That was a head scratcher.

Another thing... Trump IS an elite. I'm just throwing that out there in case a guy with gold toilet seats is somehow viewed as "a regular Joe" by anyone. No... he's most definitely an elite. Maybe he's not an intellectual elite, but he's certainly an elite by most all other definitions of the word.

So... do you really think an elite wants to screw over all the other elites? Nah.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:16 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
I could look at this speech two ways, coming from an in general liberal leaning independent.

On the one hand, I could say it was a terrible inauguration speech. Trump in general isn't the greatest speaker anyways, but to stand up there and pretty much knock down the political office he was stepping into as being terrible up until him is in bad taste. In such a speech, with the world watching, there should be a level of decorum. He should gracefully accept his new position, thank the past administration and state he will continue with his own imprint. Sounds great, right?

On the other hand, what he spoke wasn't a continuation of campaigning, because what he was saying then is his plan now, so he continued to speak his vision. He didn't sound like a polished politician, and in honesty as "scary" as it may seem in the highest political office in the world, it was refreshing. He simply spoke of what he's been saying all along - focus on America. I've been tired for decades driving through our cities and seeing our homeless and depraved inner cities while billions of dollars in aid leave our country. It's terrible that we import instead of build. Infrastructure. He spoke to those important facts.

Regardless of the actual speech, what he does is all that matters, not what he says. I've been beaten down enough by politicians spewing promises and doing nothing. I'm tired of playing the world instead of playing America. I hope he does what I think he can, and don't really care about the speech.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,485 times
I love it! Nice to see my distant relative, Roy Blunt, being part of history as well.

15,979 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Where was the vision? Where was the unity, of "We, the people"? Where was the attempt at bringing into the fold the majority who did not vote for Trump, a majority of 3 million people? Where was any sign of humility?

All we got was a rehashed stump speech, with over the top statements, like violence in inner cities stopping today. Really?

All we got was a dissing of EVERY former President on the podium, whether Republican or Democrat, plus congress.

All we got was bull baiting the rest of the world that they don't matter any more.

Trump will have a lot to learn. Let's hope his actions don't harm America, and that Congress constrains him. There are good people on both sides of the aisle that DO understand what it means to govern for all Americans.

Trump has given no indication he does.
I could not bring myself to hear the speech and only know from what I am hearing from others. Watching the protests on the other hand is cathartic. What an awful day for America.

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Oh please! How about just the facts!

How Many People Attended Trump’s Inauguration vs. Obama’s? | Heavy.com

Obama set a record the first time with good reason. 1.8M won't be broken any time soon.

But, let's put things into perspective:

Obama got 1M or so the second time.
Trump early estimates say 900k which is well above the average.
Clinton had 250k, so he must have been quite unpopular by this lame left spin reasoning.

Trump is liked well enough to be elected, and that's what is driving the left bonkers.

Fact

Cheer up snowflakes, the world isn't ending.
Reagan's 1st had less then 10,000. (and temperature almost hit 60 that day) but that does not count crowds lining pennsylvania ave)
But that is when they sold tickets and had a count of tickets sold.

Today, estimating crowds is not an exact science, and tallies can be inconsistent.

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Trumps order of priorities goes something like ...

1 - Trump
2 - Trump
3 - Trump
4 - Trump being the center of attention
5 - Women (those he ranks as a 10)
5 - Money
6 - Gold leaf
7 - Trumps family
8 - Trumps businesses
. - Somewhere about page three is 'The United States of America'
. - God didn't make the list
Did you rewatch an Obama speech by mistake, or just to console yourself? Trump didn't say I at all, a stark contrast to Obamas speeches that were all about him.

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I should have set this up as a contest for the most creative excuse.
Speaking of excuses, what's yours for the fact that 40 out of 50 states moved to the right in 2016 compared to 2012? Or how about the fact that Donald Trump flipped six states in his favor, while Hillary Clinton didn't flip a single state in hers?

JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
That's the difference right there. At the 2009 inauguration, only about 17 people total actually had to miss work in order to attend. "Hey...it's not like we have jobs or have appointments to keep or anything like that...let's go watch the Inauguration." Thanks to the Bush economy.

The Republicans, on the other hand, do have jobs, and may not be able to walk away from them merely for the purpose of attending the Presidential Inauguration. Thanks to the Obama economy.

It's a completely different social dynamic, don'cha know?
You're right. It IS completely different.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:18 PM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
If you add in all the protesters that were there but not allowed on the mall then he actually had a good turnout. There were more protesters than supporters they say.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:18 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well, most of Trump voters work for a living and this happens to be a work day.

Not bus upon bus loads of unemployed food stampers actually being paid to get on the bus funded by Soros.

You shot and missed again.
Wasn't Obama's first inauguration (2009) on a Tuesday? Do you really think that all those people were unemployed and funded by rich people? Since many of you voted for Trump to bring back jobs, many of you are either unemployed or underemployed. You couldn't take a couple of hours off to support your man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies