Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 01:57 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Condemning Madonna for her sex life is no different than condemning Melania for her nude photos. Just want to point out hypocrisy is a two way street.
Why do people keep bringing up the Trumps in my thread as if I'm the president of the
trumps fan club. Try to stay on topic here please.

Here's what I did. I changed my registration from independent to republican so that I could vote in the primary. I wanted Trump in because I figured he was the most likely to beat Hillary. He's a long known celebrity, reality TV star, has weird hair and because of the on the bus locker talk people think he may have some sexual problem. I figure this would make it a slam dunk and the left would love him. I was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Most women that I know that are intelligent aren't simple minded enough to fall into this mentality. They are out there showing their worth, holding high positions, etc.

These protesting women/feminist are the vocal minority, which ultimately are using the platform of "feminism" for their own political agenda. They use aggression and operate off of their feelings. You can often see this displayed by how they look.

I don't even think that the 80/20 rule applies. I imagine the activist feminist Nazi type are less than 5% which may influence a more vulnerable minority to believe their spiel for a short while to be replaced by another.

I know some very intelligent women that hold high positions within large companies that voted for Trump, but they don't want you to say that and will deride you as somehow against women for thinking for yourself.

In reality, they are the ones that are misguided, easily influenced, etc which are not admirable qualities.
I know a lot of middle manager and high powered non-activist women who went out and marched this weekend.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:06 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Did you march when BIll Clinton called women bimbos, used one or two in the workplace then lied to the world... maybe I just didnt notice that protest on telly. or the pink hats..
Are you addressing women with that "you", or other men?

No matter. The Clinton presidency was 25 years ago, and a lot has changed in the issues that concern women the most since then.

What you saw yesterday was evidence of those changes, and even back in the past, there were plenty of Women who spoke out strongly, and very angrily, over Bill Clinton and his affair.

But Clinton's affair didn't involve or threaten women in general. The stuff Trump said continuously for the 20 months has threatened all women in the issues that concern them most, and have worked the hardest to overcome.

How much time do you think it takes to knit one of those pink hats? Consider how much time that is thinking about the dangers Trump is presenting the lady who's doing the knitting.

And expect to see those hats again and again until Trump snaps out of it and starts backing off from his threats. The march could have been celebratory. Trump himself turned it into a protest.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
... One example would be how much harder we are hit by the whole Obummer care thing. We pay the most. It costs much less to get it through an employer.
Of course it costs much less to get health insurance via an employer versus being self employer. It's because the employer subsidizes the health insurance(i.e. the employer pays most of the premium). They did this 10 years ago and 20 years ago too, long before Obamacare. Self employed always had to get their own insurance and pay the full premium. They did this 10 years ago and 20 years ago too, long before Obamacare.

The difference for self-employed now, is you can purchase health insurance without paying higher premium because of a pre-exising condition and you can purchase a policy without getting refused due to a pre-existing condition and your health insurance won't cancel your policy and refuse to pay bills because you suddenly got sick and have high insurance claims. This has allowed more people to become self employed than pre-ACA.

Once ACA is repealed, if there isn't a preexisting clause, lots of self-employed people will be forced to close up their business and get a job at a company that provides health insurance, because they won't be able to purchase a policy on the open market. This is even if they are happy and successful being self employed. Some will have to take pay cuts in order to get jobs at companies that have health insurance.

Self Employed people are going to be severly impacted if ACA is repealed and a pre-existing rule isn't kept. I think this group will become the largest group of uninsured because they won't be able to get health insurance. They'll be stuck with a choice - close up your business and work for someone else that has health insurance or stay self employed and go without health insurance.

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
If all these protesters had any logic at all, they wouldn't be wasting their time focusing on Donald Trump and the results of an election that they can do nothing to change, they would be looking at why he was able to so handily beat the corrupt hag that they supported.

If they would take ten minutes to look at Hillary and the direction that the Democrat Party is going in (veering hopelessly and irretrievably left of the average American's viewpoint and values system), they would have their answers as to why we have President Trump today instead of President Clinton, II. But no, instead they make a huge, public spectacle of themselves being radical Leftists...again...and the more they do it, the more the American voters get turned off.

On second thought, you go girls!! March away!! Focus on Trump and ignore the direction you're taking your party. Continue to distance yourselves more and more from the saner population. It will be the best thing that could happen to this country. We may never had a Dem President again!!!

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
For one thing Madonna offered sexual favors to people if they vote Hillary. So she's a *****. And the talk about wanting to burn the white house down. Really? Please don't follow any protest she's leading because it makes women look bad. Not only that, quit listening to celebrities. They prove over and over again that they aren't our smartest people. The smartest things they ever say are usually written by someone else and handed to them in a movie script or song lyrics. Most of these people are dumb dumbs. And quit dying your hair weird colors because its probably why you don't have a job and have time to attend these destructive protests.
They were talking about this on BBC and wondering if the left and these women are listening to hyper rhetoric.

Feminist icon Gloria Steinem delivered the same speech she gave over 20 years earlier on supporting women when they are harassed by men, especially powerful men, when she condemned then president Bill Clinton (D) and praised Monica Lewinsky, Paula Jones, Juanita Broaddrick and other women who accused Clinton of vile behavior. Oh wait! She didn't! She condemned these low class women, said they deserved what happened to them, they asked for it and oh by the way, what happened to them wasn't so terrible.

L.N. Smithee's REACTOR: GLORIA STEINEM, HYPOCRITE: The 1998 Op-Ed Neither The Uber-Feminist Or the New York TimesWants You To Read

Old 01-22-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Are you addressing women with that "you", or other men?

No matter. The Clinton presidency was 25 years ago, and a lot has changed in the issues that concern women the most since then.

What you saw yesterday was evidence of those changes, and even back in the past, there were plenty of Women who spoke out strongly, and very angrily, over Bill Clinton and his affair.

But Clinton's affair didn't involve or threaten women in general. The stuff Trump said continuously for the 20 months has threatened all women in the issues that concern them most, and have worked the hardest to overcome.

How much time do you think it takes to knit one of those pink hats? Consider how much time that is thinking about the dangers Trump is presenting the lady who's doing the knitting.

And expect to see those hats again and again until Trump snaps out of it and starts backing off from his threats. The march could have been celebratory. Trump himself turned it into a protest.
I think you need to google Clinton and read the list of sexual assaults he's involved in. He has threatened women over and aver again and he is a slimeball. When it was brought up at the debate Hillary looked right into the camera smiling and said that none of it ever happened. Just creepy.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Madonna didn't do anything but show up and shoot her potty mouth off.
She wasn't an organizer, and she wasn't the voice of all the women who marched by a long shot.

The woman you need to think about is the lady next door. The one who sat down with some pink yarn and spent many hours knitting a cap for herself, her sisters and daughters, and some spares to hand out at the march.

Every hour spent with those knitting needles was time the lady next door spent thinking about the damage Trump has said he would do to women's rights.

I'm pretty sure the lady next door is no Madonna. More likely, she's a lot like you. She doesn't listen to celebrities any more than you do, isn't any smarter (or dumber) than you are, or has her hair dyed green.

She's the face of the 21st century woman, just like yours is.
You may be content with going back to the past, a time when no woman could get the same pay a man got, or was forced into bearing an unwanted child and forced to nurture it for life afterward, but she isn't.

After her knitting was done, the lady next door bought a ticket to D.C. and went marching. That march was both a display and a warning to those who want to reverse all the women's rights issues that have been accomplished over the past 8 years.

The lady next door doesn't care if you disagree with her. Neither do the hundreds of thousands of other women and girls who marched al over the nation and all over the world yesterday. They aren't going to allow a return to the past, period.

This is something you should think about, as everything they marched for affects you and your sisters and daughters too. Just as much as it affects them.
Thank you.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Of course it costs much less to get health insurance via an employer versus being self employer. It's because the employer subsidizes the health insurance(i.e. the employer pays most of the premium). They did this 10 years ago and 20 years ago too, long before Obamacare. Self employed always had to get their own insurance and pay the full premium. They did this 10 years ago and 20 years ago too, long before Obamacare.

The difference for self-employed now, is you can purchase health insurance without paying higher premium because of a pre-exising condition and you can purchase a policy without getting refused due to a pre-existing condition and your health insurance won't cancel your policy and refuse to pay bills because you suddenly got sick and have high insurance claims. This has allowed more people to become self employed than pre-ACA.

Once ACA is repealed, if there isn't a preexisting clause, lots of self-employed people will be forced to close up their business and get a job at a company that provides health insurance, because they won't be able to purchase a policy on the open market. This is even if they are happy and successful being self employed. Some will have to take pay cuts in order to get jobs at companies that have health insurance.

Self Employed people are going to be severly impacted if ACA is repealed and a pre-existing rule isn't kept. I think this group will become the largest group of uninsured because they won't be able to get health insurance. They'll be stuck with a choice - close up your business and work for someone else that has health insurance or stay self employed and go without health insurance.
Mine has gone up in the hundreds of dollars every year since Obummer care started. At this rate in a few years I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. And I would get penalized on top of that. Whoopee. You aren't self employed and have no idea where I'm coming from, right?

Old 01-22-2017, 02:14 PM

37,126 posts, read 42,189,292 times
That march, and the platform it claimed to stand for, doesn't represent me well so I wasn't involved. I know people who put pressure on friends to go and mocked them when they didn't. I've listed to people tell me why they wanted to march..."It's about Trump!", "It's NOT ABOUT Trump!", "...abortion...", "human rights", "peace love unity", "p#ssy!!!" etc. Everyone I know projects their own issues or fears then jumped in because it's a cultural event they don't want to miss out on. I get that but it's not my style.

But I've always been contrarian. When "everyone is doing something" I immediately don't want to because I instantly see the bandwagon for what it is. I'm glad people got to go out and have an experience doing something they may never have done before and may never do again. I hope they feel good about it now too because continuous negativity towards everything isn't a good place to get stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies