Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 05:12 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm not doubting this and, in fact, know it's been going on for decades. Spying has just gotten more sophisticated over the years. My question is, "so what?" Seriously, I just looked for something online and then there were banner ads on several sites I visited. That's because those companies use cookies to track people. If you use Yahoo mail, you will often see a banner with an ad related to something you recently purchased. Again, who cares? If you have a bank account, a credit card, or just have health insurance, there is a file on you and it's been that way for a very long time.

Regarding ID theft, we've been using Social Security numbers since 1936. They've never been very private. When I lived in Massachusetts, my driver's license was my Soc Sec number. Now my Medicare card is my Soc Sec number. That's why I use credit monitoring and check it regularly for any unauthorized activity.

There are over 319 million people living in the U.S. I doubt if any agency has the manpower or the budget to spy on the average citizen. If the CIA or FBI is monitoring cell phones or computers, they're just looking for suspicious activity, not listening in on our private conversations.

It is wrong, against the law, and probably against search and seizure amendment to 'spy' on American citizens without court approval. To spy against other governments and people is call espionage or spying. That is the difference

just stopping at that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I wouldn't cavalierly dismiss the recent revelations as "just another thing".. or "so what".
Please use quotes properly. Thank you.

My point was, anyone who believes their personal information is private has his head in the sand. Also, the "revelations" haven't been confirmed yet. To be perfectly honest, if the government wants to check my emails or see what kind of TV shows I watch, if it prevents another deadly terrorist attack, I don't have a problem with it. Banning people from entering our country doesn't work. We can't determine in advance who will be radicalized.

If you're so worried, then don't use a smart phone or buy a smart TV. I have a prepaid flip phone and my 16" flat screen is great and very portable. I was happy with old tube TV, but it was too heavy to move.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Seems like a good place to leave this video. Maxine Waters said Obama was building a database like we've never seen before, that would contain "everything about the everyone." And that the database would be a very powerful tool long after 2016.

The interviewer was asking about the 2013 being th beginning of the end for Obama's last term, and she said it "was just the beginning" because he was building this database.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d69X20HhEQg

Old 03-07-2017, 05:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Please use quotes properly. Thank you.

My point was, anyone who believes their personal information is private has his head in the sand. Also, the "revelations" haven't been confirmed yet. To be perfectly honest, if the government wants to check my emails or see what kind of TV shows I watch, if it prevents another deadly terrorist attack, I don't have a problem with it. Banning people from entering our country doesn't work. We can't determine in advance who will be radicalized.

If you're so worried, then don't use a smart phone or buy a smart TV. I have a prepaid flip phone and my 16" flat screen is great and very portable. I was happy with old tube TV, but it was too heavy to move.
We had a non citizen that was a suspect in a murder traveling to known terrorist areas. We had countries warning us about what he was doing. What did we do about it? We gathered up the messages of teen girls and felt up old ladies at the airport and ignored what Tamerlan Tsarnaev was doing.

How did that all work out?

This isn't about terrorism.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Seems like a good place to leave this video. Maxine Waters said Obama was building a database like we've never seen before, that would contain "everything about the everyone." And that the database would be a very powerful tool long after 2016.

The interviewer was asking about the 2013 being th beginning of the end for Obama's last term, and she said it "was just the beginning" because he was building this database.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d69X20HhEQg
The other day I dismissed this as her talking about Organizing for America. Seems I was perhaps wrong.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:34 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
This is all bout Intel, this stupid man is telling openly how we get it. He is an enemy of the United States .
Many countries are not electronics savvy. This is about our enemies -terrorist -crime etc. Cyber war is the worse of it all, besides chemical ware fare. They can disable our electric grids -banks, water plants, air travel and so forth. To protect ourselves we must know what's going on!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:42 PM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
We bought a Samsung smart TV a few months ago, and the tech guy told us to turn off the smart Tv part. They kept downloading apps and stuff and screwing up the TV, so we had to buy something from Amazon and get it turned off.
The tech guy said most people are doing this now. And after the Wikileaks info on possible spying through Samsung microphones and smart TVs, I'm glad we did.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
It is wrong, against the law, and probably against search and seizure amendment to 'spy' on American citizens without court approval. To spy against other governments and people is call espionage or spying. That is the difference

just stopping at that
I agree it's wrong and illegal. I was only stating that we don't know exactly how this technology is being used. I also don't spend any time worrying about it, since there is a huge difference between spying on people and looking for suspicious activity, i.e., if I'm in contact with a known terrorist organization.

Some people think the Census is invasive and it's been around since biblical times. Spies have been around for thousands of years. However, I doubt if any human is actually reading our emails or listening to our conversations.

I never said I want government agencies reading my private emails or listening to my personal phone calls. However, the same people who are worried about the government spying on them probably have Facebook pages and use Twitter. They've already opened themselves up to hacking or spying by strangers on the Internet by posting personal information and photos.

Nothing is private any more. Not long ago a woman I knew 50 years ago called me after using Google to search for my number. I don't chat online or use Facebook or Twitter. She searched for me through county and voting records. I wasn't even in that state, but I ported my number to my prepaid Walmart phone that I bought in a rural area of Western NC. So I guess the only way of hiding is not to work and pay taxes, not to vote, not to own property and to change telephone numbers frequently and stay off of the Internet.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:47 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We bought a Samsung smart TV a few months ago, and the tech guy told us to turn off the smart Tv part. They kept downloading apps and stuff and screwing up the TV, so we had to buy something from Amazon and get it turned off.
The tech guy said most people are doing this now. And after the Wikileaks info on possible spying through Samsung microphones and smart TVs, I'm glad we did.
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_13762682.html

Quote:
TV Time

Go to Menu > System > Time > Clock to configure/view time displayed anywhere on TV
Auto time pulls time based on timezone and DST
Manual can be used to set time different from timezone
When TV is unplugged on manual, time resets to --:-- and requires configuration
TV Time is not effected and appears unrelated to the System Time
SmartHub pulls time from this setting
Backend (implant side) system time does not match or effect TV time

System Time

The system time resets to Unix Epoch (1 Jan 00:00:00 1970) each time the TV is unplugged
The system time persists when remote is used to turn TV off (in fake-off mode)
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/worrie...tv-heres-tell/

Quote:
Earlier today, WikiLeaks released a trove of documents describing what it calls secret spying and hacking tools developed by the CIA and British intelligence. They include a Fake Off mode inserted into Samsung televisions. If activated, it makes the television appear to be off but keeps the power running so spies can capture audio and possibly video of anything in the room.
At least they were honest about calling them "spies".

Think about that the next time you're wandering around your house buck naked or doing other things in front of the tv.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:54 PM

Isn't the whole purpose of a Smart TV to be able to watch Netflix and other online services on your TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies