Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_13762682.html

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/worrie...tv-heres-tell/

At least they were honest about calling them "spies".

Think about that the next time you're wandering around your house buck naked or doing other things in front of the tv.
Yikes on this part:
"Earlier today, WikiLeaks released a trove of documents describing what it calls secret spying and hacking tools developed by the CIA and British intelligence. They include a Fake Off mode inserted into Samsung televisions. If activated, it makes the television appear to be off but keeps the power running so spies can capture audio and possibly video of anything in the room"

But if we had the smart TV part disengaged can they still spy on you?
Not too worried actually as we are pretty boring. Mostly the downloading they were doing was
Screwing other things up and a hassle to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We had a non citizen that was a suspect in a murder traveling to known terrorist areas. We had countries warning us about what he was doing. What did we do about it? We gathered up the messages of teen girls and felt up old ladies at the airport and ignored what Tamerlan Tsarnaev was doing.

How did that all work out?

This isn't about terrorism.
How can anyone believe that Bob or Mary Jones is being watched by the CIA? There aren't enough agents to monitor everyday citizens.

Every single time you make a deposit in a bank there's a record of it. I don't know why people are freaking out about something that has been happening for years. I just bought groceries using a credit card. If the government wants to know where I am or what I'm eating, it's all on record. If you have a driver's license, register a car, buy a home, there's a government record on each of these transactions.

Also, if it were true that the government is hacking into our phones, then why did Apple fight the FBI when it wanted them to unlock the iPhone after the San Bernardino attack? Remember this?

[URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-wants-apple-to-help-unlock-iphone-used-by-san-bernardino-shooter/2016/02/16/69b903ee-d4d9-11e5-9823-02b905009f99_story.html?utm_term=.347b4dd220cd"]Apple vows to resist FBI demand to crack iPhone linked to San Bernardino attacks[/URL]

Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Why?

Old 03-07-2017, 06:09 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Isn't the whole purpose of a Smart TV to be able to watch Netflix and other online services on your TV?
Yes, but my husband really wanted a larger screen ( 60" ?) with the new hyper clarity they have now (HDR??) and thought we wanted smart TV apps, but wasn't worth the hassle, as we are decidedly tech-challenged. You can't buy new upscale TVs without the smart tv feature - we tried. we have On Demand and HBO/Showtime so not deprived.

We can always turn it back on if we become more tech savvy. Not much of a chance on that....LOL

Old 03-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Donald Trump's own words:

I LOVE WIKILEAKS!!!!!!
Strange that they leak documents from the United States. Why aren't they leaking Russian spy documents? We know that Russia has been interfering in our elections as well as those in Europe. I'm sure there are other authoritarian governments that spy on its citizens, even kill them, but Assange seems to be only focused on our country. Why?

Old 03-07-2017, 06:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
How can anyone believe that Bob or Mary Jones is being watched by the CIA? There aren't enough agents to monitor everyday citizens.

Every single time you make a deposit in a bank there's a record of it. I don't know why people are freaking out about something that has been happening for years. I just bought groceries using a credit card. If the government wants to know where I am or what I'm eating, it's all on record. If you have a driver's license, register a car, buy a home, there's a government record on each of these transactions.

Also, if it were true that the government is hacking into our phones, then why did Apple fight the FBI when it wanted them to unlock the iPhone after the San Bernardino attack? Remember this?

Apple vows to resist FBI demand to crack iPhone linked to San Bernardino attacks
They are doing things they have no business doing while ignoring the responsibilities they should be doing. I provided an example.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomerroomer View Post
Yep - The data google and the gov has litteraly know your habits. When you go to the store- which one you shop, when you sleep, where you work, what gifts you buy. They know close to everything, except what you think. And the gov would love to get that too.

This is in part why I could care less if Trump dismantles the Fed Gov. Today, their focus is terrorists and rightly so. Tomorrow it's people who aren't a part of their plan.

Think the matrix movie. That creepy agent is the US federal government.
Some are so concerned about the NSA and have NO idea that the Post Office has tracked every single thing that is mailed for YEARS and never a complaint.

Just like the NSA, the Post Office does NOT know what is inside the envelope, only who sent what to whom.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yes, but my husband really wanted a larger screen ( 60" ?) with the new hyper clarity they have now (HDR??) and thought we wanted smart TV apps, but wasn't worth the hassle, as we are decidedly tech-challenged. You can't buy new upscale TVs without the smart tv feature - we tried.

We can always turn it back on if we become more tech savvy. Not much of a chance on that....LOL
That's not entirely true, although I never had a 60 inch screen. I guess it depends on what you want. However, you can buy plenty of nice LED TVs with HD that are not "smart." I just looked at a few of them today.

This is way too much ado about nothing. I'm not going to discuss my personal adventures, but I've traveled a lot over the past few years and there's really nothing to worry about if you just live your life. There's more spying going on in dressing rooms. People walk around town and there are cameras everywhere. That doesn't stop them from dining out or going to the movies.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Some are so concerned about the NSA and have NO idea that the Post Office has tracked every single thing that is mailed for YEARS and never a complaint.

Just like the NSA, the Post Office does NOT know what is inside the envelope, only who sent what to whom.
That is far from clear.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yep. This is scary, but to me, nothing new. I knew that everything you do is tracked. iPhones, Androids, TV's. I wouldn't be surprised if all these new cars coming in with Bluetooth and GPS listen and track what you do also.

And yes, this basically confirms the Obama tap stuff.

Scary times.
Have you ever watched the TV show "Hunted"?

It should open a LOT of eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies