Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 04:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
This is not on the main stream news outlets yet -- wonder why...
Yes, it is. Guess I'm hallucinating!

Anyway, the same people who are concerned about our safety, are worried about cell phones being hacked. Then, when a man murders people in a theater or nightclub, they cry "Why did they drop the ball?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 04:34 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,215,852 times
One of the differences is that it shows our government and the tech community in cahoots to create backdoors in security so that the govt. can spy on people. The backdoors have created the potential to let any hacker get into your private files and steal your identity, data, photos, listen in, etc. This may have opened Pandora's Box to identity theft.

This is just consumers. Then there is industrial, commercial, military, electric grid, etc, etc.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:39 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,565,672 times
Donald Trump's own words:

I LOVE WIKILEAKS!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
If you ever wanted to know why companies like Google, Apple and others are able to reach such extreme valuations and receive large investor support - it's because they know that the govt. has their back to facilitate spying on it's citizens. Information is power.
I'm not doubting this and, in fact, know it's been going on for decades. Spying has just gotten more sophisticated over the years. My question is, "so what?" Seriously, I just looked for something online and then there were banner ads on several sites I visited. That's because those companies use cookies to track people. If you use Yahoo mail, you will often see a banner with an ad related to something you recently purchased. Again, who cares? If you have a bank account, a credit card, or just have health insurance, there is a file on you and it's been that way for a very long time.

Regarding ID theft, we've been using Social Security numbers since 1936. They've never been very private. When I lived in Massachusetts, my driver's license was my Soc Sec number. Now my Medicare card is my Soc Sec number. That's why I use credit monitoring and check it regularly for any unauthorized activity.

There are over 319 million people living in the U.S. I doubt if any agency has the manpower or the budget to spy on the average citizen. If the CIA or FBI is monitoring cell phones or computers, they're just looking for suspicious activity, not listening in on our private conversations.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:47 PM

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times
You don't give your secrets away. We are high tech, maybe a few other countries, Not all. In either case, it is not what he published, but what he still has, and where he got it from.
But you all high fives and cheered him on... I can quote you.... He is not finished.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:52 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Go look up Cambridge Analytica. Robert Mercer is Trump's sugar daddy He supplied Bannon and Kellyeanne.

Do you really think that after 7 years of briefings by the intel community that Obama would go through government channels if he needed information on anybody? Ya think G. Soros would thrown in the cash to get the job done. Ya'll think he runs the underworld and has all the money in the world.

Anybody with half a brain knows the CIA tells all POTUSs what to do and when to do it. Now they are gonna throw Obama under the bus.

You guys are stomping pissants while the elephants are running wild.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You don't give your secrets away. We are high tech, maybe a few other countries, Not all. In either case, it is not what he published, but what he still has, and where he got it from.
But you all high fives and cheered him on... I can quote you.... He is not finished.
Exactly! People call themselves patriots, but they encourage traitors and others who wish to harm our democracy when it pleases them.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:03 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,215,852 times
Quote:
There are over 319 million people living in the U.S. I doubt if any agency has the manpower or the budget to spy on the average citizen. If the CIA or FBI is monitoring cell phones or computers, they're just looking for suspicious activity, not listening in on our private conversations.
I wouldn't cavalierly dismiss the recent revelations as "just another thing".. or "so what".

Old 03-07-2017, 05:08 PM

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times
It may not kill us, but another notch towards losing confidence with our allies. We do not appear secure.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Whats the difference between this and what edward snowden disclosed?
It shows they didn't stop even though they claimed they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies