Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 05:45 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times

Advertisements

I'm a member of Gen X, a/k/a the Jan Brady of generations. Back in the 90s, people were saying we were spoiled brats, too. We started this trend. The only difference is that Millennials don't have as many Holier than thou parents, grandparents telling them they were going to hell for not getting married.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:19 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I'm a member of Gen X, a/k/a the Jan Brady of generations. Back in the 90s, people were saying we were spoiled brats, too. We started this trend. The only difference is that Millennials don't have as many Holier than thou parents, grandparents telling them they were going to hell for not getting married.
I can sort of vouch for that, sort of. My mother does not have that holier than thou mentality towards her children not being married/having children. She does, however, hint at wanting grandchildren sometimes. My father, he says "don't worry about it". His mentality is that it is good to wait, not worry about it.

I don't have any grandparents anymore(all of them were dead before I reached 5th grade). Cousins/uncles/aunts,etc live in other states. No relative to tell me "you're going under for not getting married".

I don't know how Gen-Xers have related to this is. The closest I can think of is movies like The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Being called spoiled brats is nothing new. And it was early Baby Boomers/War Babies calling Gen-X spoiled brats. And if That 70s Shows is any indicator, late Baby Boomers were likely being called slackers/spoiled as well.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Infertility treatment is a $2B/yr. industry. I doubt they make that kind of money treating 0.001% of women.
And in years past, there simply was no treatment. Women who couldn't get pregnant were considered mentally ill.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Some are assuming that all millennials even want kids. Most of the millennials I know don't want to be tied down to a wife and kids. They are more career oriented and don't want anything serious.
I'm on the earlier part of the millennials(born in 1986). Right now, marriage isn't in my priorities. I'm trying to focus on my work, my mental and physical health. A wife and children isn't a priority of mine. Having a girlfriend would be nice. However, wife and children isn't a priority right now.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:59 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Quoted for truth.

As I said 15 pages ago, some people just can't accept that the world around them is changing. "Oh my god, 20-somethings aren't getting married as often as my generation did! The whole world is going to hell!"

I'm sorry that some folks can't handle the change in culture, but that sounds like a personal problem, not an American problem.

Notice how the OP worded his title, trying to sensationalize the issue!? Young Americans Are Killing Marriage. Oh puh-leeze. Go sit on your front porch and tell those darned kids to get off your lawn.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:00 AM

I just thought of this. There has only been one post on this thread by the OP.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:06 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
This is why young/and or single people flock to urban areas and cities. To escape the rigid judgmental people who populate smaller towns. Being single in your 20s, people constantly ask why you are not married yet. It was a breath of fresh air to move to the city where nobody judged you regarding personal decisions or even cared for that matter.

I always suspected that the real reason any married person questions the motivation of another's marital status is because they aren't all that happy and, in addition to reinforcing their own world views,would prefer everyone be as miserable as they are.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:09 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just thought of this. There has only been one post on this thread by the OP.
That's what the OP does. He/she is a master troll. Makes bold, outrageous statements, and then leaves.

I can't stand him honestly, but I'll give them credit. He or she good at what they do.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:16 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The millennials have been handed a colossal mess from the baby boomers. 20 Trillion dollars in debt. A consumer-based, healthcare economy.
Millennials have been working (supposedly) and voting for 20 years. They voted for Obama who exploded the debt to $20 trillion, they weren't "handed" the mess, they were a major cause of it.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
That's what the OP does. He/she is a master troll. Makes bold, outrageous statements, and then leaves.

I can't stand him honestly, but I'll give them credit. He or she good at what they do.

Basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies