Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 12:00 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Whose fault? Why the free market baby. Profit trumps all, you know that.
And that is not the fault of the "free market" or freedom, it is the fault of those who cannot handle freedom. That a certain segment of society cannot handle freedom is no justification to enslave society in total.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:02 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Of course I don't. Because I'm not a college Freshman whose libertarian roommate "really made him think".

I have said time and time again, specifically on this board, that it is pointless to try and stamp out all corruption or all waste. Humans are imperfect. Anything we build is going to be imperfect.

This includes our economy, which is as far from free-market capitalism as giant corporations could move it. I don't care who is on welfare or why-- I don't want to know. Somehow our system didn't work, but at most they're scamming the government for... Dozens of dollars a year?

We subsidize corporate jet fuel costs, and you're begrudging EVERYONE the possibility of social safety nets because SOME of the spending MAY BE inefficient?

Really?

No, it is very different. Common stock issued by a corporation is something you buy. Citizenship with rights and privileges guaranteed by a government is something you are born into.

Why are you so confused about this? We are not shareholders. Society is not a corporation. You are limiting yourself to what your overlords would prefer you take-- nothing. You're giving away the potential for everything so that you can imagine yourself "one day" realizing the American Dream and having a seat at the table.

You need to stop giving this system respect, because you're never going to be important. You're always going to be a peon, working with other peons, down here in Peon World with the rest of us. Demand more for yourself and your children, because you are never going to be able to afford ownership.
In your attempt to seem so witty and intelligent you are missing the point. And it is obvious you and I have different opinions on what are rights and privileges. I am not confused nor am I begrudging EVERYONE the possibility of a safety net - they are for the truly poor and unable only. I am a conservative against all subsidies, handouts, useless grants, corporate gimmees, etc. IMO our system is better than any other on the planet. Sorry you don't feel the same but we are in America and you have that right.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
I watched a new documentary on fentanyl use and how it is ravaging Vancouver in Canada. Drug users get free Narcan kits. One guy said he has used it on his friends three times. One nurse in a hospital they were profiling said they have seen the same patients come in as much as 7 times in one day for overdosing, and need narcan. Seven times. They have regulars who they see all the time for ODs. People are shooting up on the streets, totally strung out. Emergency responders have been overwhelmed. 70% of the local fire department's calls in this one particular neighborhood have been for ODs. It's been a huge spike.

I see these free kits, personally, as enabling the users. The hospital staff recommends a treatment program (that is probably also free) each time they get a patient who has OD'd, but the patients usually leave and go straight back to using. And have their free kits to save themselves or others. Some people flee the hospital even before the social worker or nurse can advise them on treatment. People know that they will get their free narcan kits and that the first responders and hospital staff will be there with narcan for them, each time, likely for free.

There is a day once a month they call "Welfare Wednesday" when people get their government money and the banks are flooded with people withdrawing it, then overdoses spike because they start buying and selling drugs. So some of these people on welfare are drug users, and it is known that they use the money to buy and sell drugs and then ODs spike. One of those days, the hospital profiled nearly ran out of treatment and had to make an emergency call to another hospital for more. A whole cabinet full of life saving drugs for opiate users nearly empty, they had so many patients.

The problem in this area was not improving. It was getting worse and one EMT expressed concern that they could not go on "like this." I was getting angry watching. The free narcan, the free care, the "Welfare Wednesdays." IMO it seems to be a very flawed system. I just can't support it, personally. What a waste of funds and taxpayer money when most of these people don't learn and won't get help.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Cuz MINE. And *I* know what to do with my money better than the government despite all evidence to the contrary like the housing crisis.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:13 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
In your attempt to seem so witty and intelligent you are missing the point. And it is obvious you and I have different opinions on what are rights and privileges. I am not confused nor am I begrudging EVERYONE the possibility of a safety net - they are for the truly poor and unable only. I am a conservative against all subsidies, handouts, useless grants, corporate gimmees, etc. IMO our system is better than any other on the planet. Sorry you don't feel the same but we are in America and you have that right.
I don't know where you get witty or intelligent, as nothing I said was funny or particularly insightful.

It isn't for my own amusement that I put those questions to you.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:14 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Followed by I don't really care about other people as long as I get mine. The poor or the n'ggs can go f themselves even if policy has been screwing them for decades loosely couched in "personal responsibility".

Old 05-18-2017, 12:16 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Followed by I don't really care about other people as long as I get mine. The poor or the n'ggs can go f themselves even if policy has been screwing them for decades loosely couched in "personal responsibility".

Old 05-18-2017, 12:17 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Cuz MINE. And *I* know what to do with my money better than the government despite all evidence to the contrary like the housing crisis.
the housing crisis started by the government....

Old 05-18-2017, 12:27 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I don't know where you get witty or intelligent, as nothing I said was funny or particularly insightful.

It isn't for my own amusement that I put those questions to you.
I answered your questions. I do not see myself as a peon. If you choose to see your fellow Americans that way more power to you.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariatozz View Post
A large portion of Americans seem to be against social programs even though it may be for the common good. When there is talk of the (on average) much better social programs in many European countries the general response is "well, they have to spend more on taxes". To which I ask.....so? If it meant far better health care, far better maternity leave, etc. isn't that worth it? Do not the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one?
Sez who? That is "sez who" that a large portions of Americas think anything and "sez who" that European countries have "much better social programs"?

I think most European social programs are complete failures and many are starting to buckle.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberts.../#7a6376a42584

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Most Americans are against helping those struggling
How the H-E-hockey stick-hockey stick do you know what most Americans do and do not think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Before you can have a discussion on this topic you must define your terms
Before you can have a discussion on this topic you have to have agreement on its presumptions and we are not even close to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies