Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 12:40 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah, that's a great response to some young person who aims high. "Forget about it kid, you ain't going anywhere so stop dreaming."

Do you have any idea how stupid and counterproductive that is?
It's better than poisoning young people with unrealistic expectations and false hope.

False hope is in reality the greatest of all evils, because it prolongs the suffering of mankind.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:41 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I picture a life of Wall-E floating around on hover crafts with no bone structure and a giant big gulp sippy cup.

Or a version of the Hunger Games...

Old 05-18-2017, 12:44 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Cuz MINE. And *I* know what to do with my money better than the government despite all evidence to the contrary like the housing crisis.
The same housing crisis that was caused by the FED?

https://mises.org/library/housing-bubble-4-easy-steps

Old 05-18-2017, 12:45 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Or a version of the Hunger Games...
That too.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the housing crisis started by the government....

Well, yes. One could argue that their failure to regulate the banking industry around things like variable rate mortgages and predatory mortgage sales practice was responsible. But since that would be likened to a restrictive social program, it was not very popular until AFTER the housing crisis.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Well, yes. One could argue that their failure to regulate the banking industry around things like variable rate mortgages and predatory mortgage sales practice was responsible. But since that would be likened to a restrictive social program, it was not very popular until AFTER the housing crisis.
the housing bubble started in 1995 (and busted in 2007) when Clinton's chief of HUD Henry Cisneros (and later with the second chief of HUD Andrew Cuomo) changed the mortgage rules..... all in the name of social good

Old 05-18-2017, 02:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
You sound like a Republican shill.

In truth, that's all libertarians are. Whether a shill or an apologist, always a Republican.
I voted for Sanders and then Stein and I agree with what was stated. Trump would be wise to do exactly as stated.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I watched a new documentary on fentanyl use and how it is ravaging Vancouver in Canada. Drug users get free Narcan kits. One guy said he has used it on his friends three times. One nurse in a hospital they were profiling said they have seen the same patients come in as much as 7 times in one day for overdosing, and need narcan. Seven times. They have regulars who they see all the time for ODs. People are shooting up on the streets, totally strung out. Emergency responders have been overwhelmed. 70% of the local fire department's calls in this one particular neighborhood have been for ODs. It's been a huge spike.

I see these free kits, personally, as enabling the users. The hospital staff recommends a treatment program (that is probably also free) each time they get a patient who has OD'd, but the patients usually leave and go straight back to using. And have their free kits to save themselves or others. Some people flee the hospital even before the social worker or nurse can advise them on treatment. People know that they will get their free narcan kits and that the first responders and hospital staff will be there with narcan for them, each time, likely for free.

There is a day once a month they call "Welfare Wednesday" when people get their government money and the banks are flooded with people withdrawing it, then overdoses spike because they start buying and selling drugs. So some of these people on welfare are drug users, and it is known that they use the money to buy and sell drugs and then ODs spike. One of those days, the hospital profiled nearly ran out of treatment and had to make an emergency call to another hospital for more. A whole cabinet full of life saving drugs for opiate users nearly empty, they had so many patients.

The problem in this area was not improving. It was getting worse and one EMT expressed concern that they could not go on "like this." I was getting angry watching. The free narcan, the free care, the "Welfare Wednesdays." IMO it seems to be a very flawed system. I just can't support it, personally. What a waste of funds and taxpayer money when most of these people don't learn and won't get help.
We make the same economic mistakes to fix past mistakes. We create a new bubble that will also pop.

Stupid is as stupid does. Some are addicted to heroin. Some addicted to money. Cut off Narcan and addicts will die. Cut off programs to Wall Street and brokers will leap from buildings. Can we cut them both off?

Old 05-18-2017, 02:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Because of their perception of who receives the benefits.

Let's just keep it real.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

All of my friends and family have fed, clothed, and housed their families without any help.

I'm willing to help people in need. I'm not willing to help people who suck.
Roger that. And boy...do we have a lot of people who suck in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies