Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 11:38 AM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I fully support cracking down hard on illegal immigration, crime, drugs, violence and terrorism.

No criminal activity should be tolerated in our society, no matter who does it.
We already do that. We incarcerate a higher % of our population than any other "developed" nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM

13,666 posts, read 20,807,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
We already do that. We incarcerate a higher % of our population than any other "developed" nation.
The other "developed" nations conducted slavery in far off colonies, not their actual homelands.

No other "developed" nation physically abuts the Third World.

And to be fair, most (but not all) "developed" nations tend to eschew firearm proliferation.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:00 PM

29,592 posts, read 14,732,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The other "developed" nations conducted slavery in far off colonies, not their actual homelands.

And to be fair, most (but not all) "developed" nations tend to eschew firearm proliferation.

So firearms are breaking the law ?

Old 06-26-2017, 12:05 PM

1,302 posts, read 685,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
multiculturalism and diversity is causing division. It does not make us stronger it makes us weaker and destroys the fabric of society. Name me a place where this so called diversity is so wonderful? You can not. The places that have the most happy people are where they are homologous. Japan is one. They have a very strict immigration policy and they are among the happiest and content. This multicultural BS is down the same rabbit hole as political correctness.
The Most Multicultural countries in th eWorld Are the Hispanics, First the spanish are a Mix of Iberians, Celtics, Fencians, Romans, Visigoths, Jews, North Africans, and then when they came to América they corssebreed with American Indians and with African black people,

Hispanics however can be well regarded as Multicultural and the Happiest Countries in the World. While countries highly Monocultural are regarded among the ones with the Highest rates of Suicide.

Look at this countries, Italy, Spain, Mexico, are well below Japan, Finland, Lithuania, South Korea, etc that are countries well known for being monolitic culturally speaking.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:06 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,120,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Umm yes they do. Netherlands and Venezuela (ABC & BES islands), Germany and Poland, Spain and Morocco (Ceuta and Melilla), France and Brazil (French Guiana), etc.

Also, several developed countries (ie: Canada) have widespread civilian firearms ownership. That said it is true that they don't obsess over their guns like we do.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:22 PM

33,592 posts, read 18,211,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Multiculturalism is like having many different countries in one country.

Where have you been???????? this is the way it has always been - from French, Italians- Spaniards- Brits-to the Irish, to the Indian and the Chinese- Latin's, Polish- Germans- Amish and so forth- --- what do you want??
Many people just live their lives as an American and don't associate with their mother land at all. They have been American and identify with being an American... and those who want to come here that want to become an American are the ones that should come here. Their country IS AMERICA.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:25 PM

13,666 posts, read 20,807,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Umm yes they do. Netherlands and Venezuela (ABC & BES islands), Germany and Poland, Spain and Morocco (Ceuta and Melilla), France and Brazil (French Guiana), etc.

Also, several developed countries (ie: Canada) have widespread civilian firearms ownership. That said it is true that they don't obsess over their guns like we do.
Umm no the do not. Having a few far-off island possessions or a couple of tiny enclaves is not the same thing as a 3000 mile land border. And I think you know that. If not, you do now.

Canadians do not have the right/opportunity to legally possess the guns we do. They also cannot open carry or even conceal carry.

Come on....

Last edited by Moth; 06-26-2017 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 12:54 PM

2,953 posts, read 996,083 times
The problem isn't that multiculturalism is bad, it's that it isn't something that's morally right (or wrong) and it damn sure isn't something that govt should make a goal of. It just is. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't and who cares one way or the other? Some people want to live around others who share a culture they understand. That's not racism, you Maoist progressives. It's natural human preference and a desire for familiarity. Other times you have people who want it and cultures blend naturally. So what? To each his own. Personally I love world travel and experiencing how others live but I want to make my home around people who share my culture and roots. I lived for a time in the SF bay area and there was only one other person on my street who was not Asian or Indian. Good neighbors but not a one of them shared my interests, background and in many cases my language. After a few years that got to be a drag. If I was working on my car Sat morning and needed a particular type of socket wrench there wasn't one guy on the block who would have had a clue or could have loaned me a tool. That's a teeny-tiny example but added to a thousand other little teeny-tiny background disconnects and it just makes one long for home.

Liberals have co-opted multiculturalism and made it a fetish. Part of their self-proclaimed moral monopoly. Somebody on the executive management team of Liberals Inc decided that multiculturalism will be THE cause celebre of their age and the message went out to Starbucks, Whole Foods, Subaru and Comedy Central. All else is secondary to multiculturalism. Even feminism ... else how can one rationalize their knee-jerk protectiveness for Islam the greatest institutional oppressor of women the world has ever known? I think it all stems from their self-hatred of being American and lately their vitriol has become even more magnified if said contemptible American-ness can be linked to white males who of course are the devil. So if American is bad then all other cultures are good and should be drawn in to our society as fast and in as great of numbers as possible to dilute this awful thing that made America great.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:31 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,777,987 times
[quote=Oldglory;48625975]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Wow... well, you should have been at the concert I went to last night. The band is a mix of Latino and white musicians, led by a Puerto Rican who is very proud of his culture. They play a mix of salsa, mambo, Latin Jazz and merengue, to name just a few of the Latin music styles they play. There must have been at least 300-400 people there, of a rainbow of races, cultures and ethnicities, all enjoying the music, and the paved space in front of the stage was full of dancers. Everyone was enjoying the music and the beautiful weather. At one point a huge rainbow appeared in the sky over the band shell, because it tried to shower, but only a few drops fell.

This band has been in existance in upstate NY since 1980, and has performed all over the world in that time. They perform in schools and introduce the young kids to a very complex musical style, as well as the history behind the develoment of the music. They have received many awards for their hard work in the music field and well as arts and cultural education.

I pity folks like you, OP. Clearly, thankfully, xenophobic attitudes like yours are fast becoming the minority view. Your attitude is like the rain that tried to fall on that show, but couldn't.[/quotes]

Your scenario (a fun social event) is not the same thing as living out in mainstream day to day with different cultures and languages. Some cultural diversity is ok but when it starts to overtake the identifying culture of a country that's a whole different ball of wax. There is nothing xenophobic about opposing that.
And just what is the identifying culture of our country? Please describe it. I'm really interested in learning what you think our identity is like.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,437,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
The Most Multicultural countries in th eWorld Are the Hispanics, First the spanish are a Mix of Iberians, Celtics, Fencians, Romans, Visigoths, Jews, North Africans, and then when they came to América they corssebreed with American Indians and with African black people,

Hispanics however can be well regarded as Multicultural and the Happiest Countries in the World. While countries highly Monocultural are regarded among the ones with the Highest rates of Suicide.

Look at this countries, Italy, Spain, Mexico, are well below Japan, Finland, Lithuania, South Korea, etc that are countries well known for being monolitic culturally speaking.

Yeah, except that when the citizens of various nations are ACTUALLY surveyed, Latin American countries are NOT high up on the "happiness" ranking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies