Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 09:18 AM

224 posts, read 134,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You are flat out wrong. There is just no other way to put it. There is an American culture. Anyone outside of America looking in can define it. Why can't you?

Everything you posted in the paragraph above in no way conflicts with what I wrote. Chinese Americans celebrating Chinese new year (it's right there in the title) ARE Americans... engaging in a non-American celebration. They continue to be American unless ALL they do is ever celebrate Chinese traditions, only speak Chinese, have no interest in American holidays, etc.

There is also probably an American way to celebrate Chinese New Year. I am not Chinese, so I cannot distinguish. But I guarantee just as we celebrate St. Patrick's Day "American" style as compared to how the Irish do it.... it's probably not "authentic"... but Chinese New Year really has no relevance to anyone who isn't Chinese. I go to Chinese New Year Celebration every year, thrown by non-Chinese speaking friends of Chinese-descent.... and while it's fun, it has no significance to me or 99% of other Americans who don't happen to be Chinese.

Your self-righteous indignation and virtue signalling is getting in the way of your critical thinking skills.

The byproduct of that melted pot - the ACTUAL melted pot - IS American culture. Now, cultures may evolve. American culture has evolved and changed over the years, and has incorporated different traditions into what is norm for the majority of people, regardless of their backgrounds.

What's funny to me is that you seem to accept that "Mexican" can be an identifiable culture, which I agree. But then you seem to forget (or maybe not know) that all Latin America is an immigration destination and melting pot of various cultures as well. They are simply a different mixture than what we have in the US, which is different than Canada's, which for example is heavily French influenced.

Ethnic food means just that. A food associated with the culture or tradition of another nation. Even restaurant reviews will be able to make the distinction between "American" fare and other types of ethnic foods. Why is it so difficult for you?

And look, before you have an aneurysm, I am first generation. My father, all my aunts and uncles, etc. are immigrants. I don't need - what are most often white privileged liberals - telling ME about an immigrant experience, traditions and integration. I grew up with one foot planted in two cultures so I can spot difference. I can spot authentic vs. Americanized. I can appreciate the melding of peoples as they move from the ethnic ghetto into society at large.

Traditional means exactly that - I have been to very many weddings in my time. Of various religions. Most weddings celebrated by Americans who aren't new or first generation will follow a typical formula after the religious component.

American Wedding Traditions

If one is to veer from that, that's OK. But it's not an "American style" wedding. Anything anyone else in the world can describe as "American style ______" is describing OUR CULTURE. Which yes, is the end result of mixing over hundreds of years. If you would like to educate yourself on this, go to google and type in "American Style..." You will get suggestions for:

American style clothing, fashion, movies, magazines, homes, foods....

Walking around in a hijab is not American. It is a foreign practice in America. We don't do that here. Wearing a burkini to the pool is also not American. That's a foreign tradition. It didn't develop here. Hopefully it won't catch on here unless leftists are successful in normalizing backwards third world traditions into American culture. Just as we haven't normalized and incorporated Amish dress styles or Hari Krishna gowns into what is American fashion. Those are fringe cultural practices. They are not "mainstream American" just because they "exist in America." They could be, someday. But hopefully not. It will be a sad day when American sportswear is associated with burkas.

And no, everyone else who lives exactly as they did "back home" while in the US is NOT "just as American" as everyone else. Politically, yes. Vote-wise, yes. Census wise, sure. For passport purposes, OK.

But for any other purpose? Eh....not really. And it's not MY fault that they are seen that way. It's THEIR fault. THEIR choice. I have no obligation to view someone who doesn't speak English, takes no effort to consume American media or interact with Americans on a personal level to understand our cultural mores, etc. as "American" as apple pie. They aren't. No matter how much you jump up and down. Maybe their kids will be. Or grandkids. Most likely by great-grandkids at least.

And I totally get it. My grandparents came here, became American citizens, but they were not ever really American. They left to go back to the old country when they retired, and died happy in the old country. And that's OK. The rest of us here know how to identify as AMERICAN first with respect for our roots.
I think I asked some very simple questions - none of which you directly answered. First off, I'm not outside of America. I'm IN America. Born in America. And America has always been a amalgamation of different cultures because that's America - different cultures living on one soil. St. Patrick's day not authentic versus Ireland? Who cares how the Irish does it? You think the Irish cares how America celebrates?

The point is who cares if you don't care about the customs and traditions of people who here dress, speak, worship, and celebrate in ways that you do not. That's your problem. Not the people who actually care. I could give a rat's ass about President's Day, Columbus Day, Christmas, New Year's, and most especially Thanksgiving. But that's my hang-up. It doesn't make me un-American.

Your history and perspectives on Muslims is truly depressing. Wearing a hijab not American? Just to be clear, if you're an immigrant, than Islam in America is older than wherever you came from. African slaves who came here, many were Muslims as were many indentured servants from India. Please do a google search to educate yourself on this part of American history? Very interesting to say the least!

You say: What's funny to me is that you seem to accept that "Mexican" can be an identifiable culture, which I agree. But then you seem to forget (or maybe not know) that all Latin America is an immigration destination and melting pot of various cultures as well.

Where do you get the impression that I forgot that Latin America is an immigration destination? Please quote me.

The more I read of your post - which bottoms into your resentment of people who don't assimilate. But I'll ask you again - assimilate to what? Should everyone here speak just English, go hunting and fishing, vote republican? Are those things I just mentioned American culture?

You say: Anything anyone else in the world can describe as "American style ______" is describing OUR CULTURE. Which yes, is the end result of mixing over hundreds of years. If you would like to educate yourself on this, go to google and type in "American Style..." You will get suggestions for:

Wow! This is the best you have? I'll give you movies because I'm more embarrassed about the state of Hollywood which is certainly an American phenomenon. But fashion, art, food, reading, homes - these are very subjective.

Lastly, your traditional American wedding theology was created by whom? Again, the African-American wedding, the Chinese-American wedding, the Mexican-American wedding - all of whom combine cultural nuances that are unique and foreign to their background - are still American.

Lastly, your mention of food is pretty hilarious because to this day I question what American fare is. I've been to "American" restaurants and have eaten Italian, French, German, Chinese, Thai, and so on...which proves my point to the letter - that American culture, if there is such a thing, is just an amalgamation of cultures. There is very little that is specific to America. That's why I asked you to define what American culture is. Because from your response - it seems to tightly knit within Anglosaxons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Diversity I believe is natural in a free society and good in many ways. Forced Diversity is always bad and a terrible idea.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:31 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who cares for law breakers? It's only the greedy who hire illegals. Are we supposed to care about them and their illegal hires while Americans get laid off or denied their jobs? Most Americans are law abiding and do care!! All those jobs you mentioned were once held by Americans for a fair wage until millions of cheap illegals flooded our border to make the rich, richer. That doesn't matter to you?

No one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. Illegals send billions out of our country not spent in our economy. Americans have families to feed also. How are they working if not by using a fake or stolen SS number or working for cash evading taxes? Those are felonies! These are selfish people who only care about themselves.

No, no more amnesties! Americans need their jobs back and it never makes sense to reward criminal behavior. Decent people don't break laws! This has nothing to do with skin color. Get a grip! It's about our laws and why they are in place to protect our own citizens. Legal immigration is ok in controlled numbers that doesn't impact our own citizens negatively and we have always allowed legal immigrants into our country. Illegal immigration is against the law and has a negative impact on law abiding Americans.
You are barking in the wrong direction.... go ask the people all across the Southwest, and the West Coast and the Floridian areas and the Las Vegas Housing boom and various other place.... "who built all those homes"..... It was Mexican, and they were HIRED by these LARGE SCALE Construction Companies and American sit on their butts and said absolutely nothing, if they thought they could get a house for a few $1000 less, that it may have cost if American labor had been hired to build it.

As a matter of fact, I've watched a building renovation for the past 4 yrs, and they still have much work to do, and most of their contractors are whites... I know for sure from seeing past experiences if those had been Mexican workers, that building would have been completed 2.5 or 3 yrs ago. There is a reason not just about money that the people hired Mexicans, they did it because the Mexican would get the work done and move on to take on another projects.

Nothing is every as ONE DIMENSIONAL as people try and make it, but generally with white people, they refuse to blame the wealthy holders for anything. It's just how they have been groomed over the centuries, and still today, they don't blame the same wealthy who shipped away the jobs, they don't blame the same wealth who used Juni Bonds to fleece, bleed and destroy companies and displace millions of American workers, and they don't blame the University groomed white people for pushing to bust Unions, because they were told their 4 year classroom and party session was suppose to give them higher pay than anyone else, even when people were covered under Union Agreement. They detested seeing a union shop hire someone, under union agreement and the class and craft pay was higher than that of the fresh out of school degree rider, who had absolutely no experience doing anything beyond sitting in lecture classes. some of them never even had a summer jobs over all their years.

people only want to look at one piece of something, when there are more strings attached to these things that many want to acknowledge. Other than the money sent back to mexico, these people actually spend a lot of money in the American economy. The displaced American worker was not the fault of the Illegal, it was the fault of the people who hired them, the companies that sought them out, and the wealthy who chased them down as if they had a daily bounty hunters out looking for illegal immigrant labor.

I doubt any Illegal has ever sat in a board room and plotted the Outsourcing of whole divisions of Companies, or Over- leveraging Companies based on Speculator Driven Stock Ticker, when they knew they did not need to expand and could not meet market shares to repay that debt without selling parts of itself or laying off a mass of people, cutting product quality, then cutting product quantity, and then abandoning any kind of service all together. I doubt that any Illegal ever sat in helping make such types of decisions for American Corporations that self imploded or sold themselves or outsourced any and every aspect of the business they could.

The reason it has not been fixed, is the issue is bigger than the general public acknowledges, because among the wealthy, It's about MONEY... if they were not profiting from it, there would not be an Illegal to get across the border.

If you think border security does not work, try and smuggle some diamonds, as small as that stone it, they'd catch you before you get through the second gate. ...

I think when it comes to money leaving the country, one might want to look at the trade deficits, that were created by wealthy Industrialist, and American Consumers, Not by Mexicans, being here. One might even look at the protection of drug plantations in foreign countries that are well protected by the governance and other entities.

This matter is not as simple as people try and make it. Some of these people talk as if American White People are from some massive Choir Group..... come on.... get real... when it comes to money, this nation has a long history of anything goes and any atrocity is passed off, sanctioned by the courts and the law enforcement, as was done for 100's of years upon and against blacks, and it has not stopped even in this day and age.

So.... it might be better to stop looking for a scape goat, and turn you focus to the wealthy, who were the decision makers that destroyed American Industry to the point we can't even make the shoes we wear, or the socks on our feet, and even now, we import cinder blocks and dry wall.... yet, we look for any scape goat... as long as it does not involve the wealthy white males, who orchestrated the down fall of American's Industrial power, in their slave seeking around the globe and outsourcing to try and take advantage of it.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Diversity I believe is natural in a free society and good in many ways. Forced Diversity is always bad and a terrible idea.
There is no forced diversity, tell it like it is, there are those who put up a forceful fight against diversity, is the proper way that should be stated.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
=southward bound;48643043]This ignores the point: they have come here illegally, which means they are lawbreakers from day 1.

If we are a "nation of laws" we can't pick and choose which laws we will enforce, which we will ignore in some cases and not in others.
(( Depends on if people are wealthy or not, we've seen many examples of when the law does not follow universal enforcement especially when wealth is involved or in some cases depending on the race and gender of the individual))

You are quite adamant, before getting to upset, do you know whether your ancestry came here legally? or did they get grandfather'd in as American

I'm not advocating for this nation to be flooded with illegals, but I also think they should not get an instant picture of Mexicans in their mind when the word Illegal Immigrant is used. Most white people are not concerned about the Various Eastern Europeans or Asian's, especially if they have money.

Money become more the matter, than Illegal Immigrants, because if it was about Illegal Immigrants, the picture in peoples mind would not just be of Mexicans...
this is nothing new... it was done in the 1930's after the Railroads were built, it was done to the Chinese.
what is Wrong with some American people... who think they can use others until they had their fill, then say, "Go home"!!!

Now with people like the Republican in Office and Trump and his agenda, more and more American are trying to get to these same countries, they once complained about the people from those countries coming here. Only American want to go there and they want "instant acceptance".....

The more Republican Screw Up America, the worst it will be for "all people" and standard habit for "SOME" white people is, when things get financially challenged or bad for them, SOME white people's racism becomes elevated to a fever pitch... !!!!!

Now that China is prosperous and Americans are angry becauseNOW, the Chinese now have all the Money American use to have... because American took it to them, and laughed all the while thinking they were getting over by using the Chinese as cheap labor, but the Chinese were smart, they allowed it, and accepted the money, and they saved that money and now they INVESTED IT IN CHINA FOR THE CHINESE PEOPLE and now they go around the world INVESTING but doing it on a more "fair play" program, where they derive mutual benefit and they create the agreement for the longer term benefit of themselves and any country they go and invest. They don't go and create conflict, they don't go and start wars among the people, and they don't go, trying to change the governments of those countries.

They set up the AIIB ( Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank) which is a new multilateral financial institution founded to bring countries together to address the daunting infrastructure development,
and helping build systems that work for individual countries and the collective of nation who are members of the AIIB.

NOW, the same greedy slave chasing university grads who were taught to chase slave labor are not pushing to move anything they can to Mexico, and next they will try to change Central America so they can ship more Industry looking for more slave wage labor. That's the Imperialist Madness that is Taught at these Ivy League and the Network of Top Tier University. They teach a format of covert "economic treason" against the generalized American public, all for the sake of chasing slave labor around the globe, at the expense of a stable living standard for American people.

What are we doing? The insidiousness of the current Administration has such a hard on to try and erase Obama's Name, until they have gone and screwed up the Agreement with Cuba, just for the sake to destroy work Obama Achieved. There is absolutely no other motivation.

what these white people don't understand is that era of the White American Dominating over others, is an Era that is Gone!!!! The World of Nation learned their less in 2007 with the Great Swindle that Cost Nations, 10's and 100's of billion of losses, they also have no forgot how GWB coercered them into backing a ill advised war by threat of sanctions and other tactics. The world does not have the "Selective Amnesia" that much of White American is addicted to.

The world does not forget this kind of stuff. They know that American played a flip the script game with Saddam, where one minute they were buddy up with him, but when Iraq and Libya discussed a new Reserve Currency, all hell broke out, and when it shook out, both Iraq and Libya were destroyed. But..... what American does not grasp is they fought off the Chinese last year, but they can't fight them off forever from getting their currency as a reserve currency. When already many foreign trades are being made in Chinese backed currency... even thought it is not yet a designated Reserve Currency.
Last time China pushed, American was able to discredit their banks and push question marks about their economy, but China takes that stuff as a learning mechanism and they learn what they need to do to avoid such again. They continue to build and expand their Internal Infrastructure, and they continue to uplift more and more of their citizen population out of dire poverty... China may be listed as 1.3 Billion people, but reality is they are 1.6+ Billion people, and that may and may not count immigrant labor. They have more than 400 million people who earn a living wage in China, and the Chinese people save and they invest. America has 300 million people, and Greed has made it so, more than 100 million of that 300 million is living in dire poverty levels... another 50 Million are living pay check to pay check and carrying credit debt while working jobs that have stagnated their pay... while the Wealthy sit on 2.x Trillion or More in Cash stashed around the globe. The Greed in America is so great, that it breeds Ignorance, as the wealthy greedy can't understand that Unless Money Circulate within American, American become weaker and weaker... We have nothing but FICTION propping up the economy with OVER INFLATED stocks, Bond's that the world market does not trust as they use to, and derivatives that have distorted the value of everything, until now... its nothing but a market driven by "speculation" among the wealthy as if they are playing a Casino Table Game... None of it has any benefit to the General Population.

Mergers and Acquisition, destroy companies as if someone planted an mechanism to disintegrate it. and 1000's and 10's of thousands of people loose their jobs, so the wealthy can collect a pay day, and then sell off the parts to stash more money in Offshore Accounts. Its the Madness of Avarice and how no matter what game is Played within Avarice, it leads to destruction. That's the level of Ignorance our Universities Teach. That too is why American Universities are no longer the Leader in "Actual Ethical and Character Driven Education".... they may have the largest financial endowments, but look at the list of TOP Universities in the World.

It's really time for American to do some serious thinking and the first thing it needs to do is get off this delusional "white American madness" and realize that America is Multi Cultural and Multi Ethnic, and has been since European Foreigners Invaded it after 1492. Before then, American was Made Up of Indians and Mexicans of various Groups and Central American People.

This crazy elements of what is Racism is America was imported here by "European, Dutch, Portuguese, and Other Foreign people. Most who were from Monarchical systems of Autocratic process with a firm caste system.

After all these centuries and decades... we need to get off the bigotry train, and let the racism ship sail away, and deal with people as people.... as to immigration, if we'd fixed the system long ago, rather than let it hang loose for the sake of easy access to cheap labor, until the Industry left by the 1990's then all of a sudden, society made issue with Mexicans, whom they previously were not so concerned about, everybody from politicians to anyone who had income to pay for help, was out searching for Mexicans or anyone who even looked of Central American or Latin Descent.
If American Industry came back tomorrow, within 6 months, of people feeling it was stable, they'd be out looking for any form of cheap labor they can find, and if illegals were available, they'd hire them in a heart beat.

One when white peoples income is not what they think it should be, is the time when racism goes ballistic, and then they want to blame it on everybody except themselves.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 06-27-2017 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 09:46 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
multiculturalism and diversity is causing division. It does not make us stronger it makes us weaker and destroys the fabric of society. Name me a place where this so called diversity is so wonderful? You can not. The places that have the most happy people are where they are homologous. Japan is one. They have a very strict immigration policy and they are among the happiest and content. This multicultural BS is down the same rabbit hole as political correctness.
Since you choose Japan as an example, make the case of how diversity weakened us in WW II fighting traditionally non-diverse societies.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:07 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
I think I asked some very simple questions - none of which you directly answered. First off, I'm not outside of America. I'm IN America. Born in America. And America has always been a amalgamation of different cultures because that's America - different cultures living on one soil. St. Patrick's day not authentic versus Ireland? Who cares how the Irish does it? You think the Irish cares how America celebrates?
Again. Your burning need to virtue signal and play the multi-cultural everyman while being just some generic Americn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull
The point is who cares if you don't care about the customs and traditions of people who here dress, speak, worship, and celebrate in ways that you do not. That's your problem. Not the people who actually care. I could give a rat's ass about President's Day, Columbus Day, Christmas, New Year's, and most especially Thanksgiving. But that's my hang-up. It doesn't make me un-American.
You're projecting. I never said "I don't care." I said that there IS a discernible American culture. You, someone who lives in it and has never had an outsider perspective, obviously can't see it. You think there is no American culture. Nothing to assimilate into. Nothing "typical" or "average"...but there definitely is. This Americanization affect percolates into how even those who follow their traditional cultures end up practicing.

Quote:
Your history and perspectives on Muslims is truly depressing. Wearing a hijab not American? Just to be clear, if you're an immigrant, than Islam in America is older than wherever you came from. African slaves who came here, many were Muslims as were many indentured servants from India. Please do a google search to educate yourself on this part of American history? Very interesting to say the least!
Wearing hijab is not an American cultural product. The slaves that came from Africa were largely NOT Muslim, as it was the MUSLIMs that were running the supply side of the slave trade in western Africa. Certainly, the slaves didn't bring Muslim traditions with them to the US.

Hijab, burka, etc. are NOT associated with American culture. What you are describing, again, are foreign cultural practices which have been or are present in the USA. You can HAVE an American identity and still wear burka, I guess, but you are not wearing an American fashion. Instead, it's the fashion of 7th century desert cultures. That's a fact. It has NEVER been accepted as mainstream and hopefully, it never will be because it's regressive.

Quote:

Where do you get the impression that I forgot that Latin America is an immigration destination? Please quote me.
By insisting that America "has no culture" and is instead just a place where other cultures come to exist... while simultaneously stating that Mexican cultural influences are a part of that mixture. But you can't have it both ways, unless you accept the premise that Mexican culture itself is the END PRODUCT of the mixing of several

If you can palpably identify Mexican culture, you can identify American culture. Not every Mexican is the same religion, follows the same holidays, eats the same foods, etc. There are Mexicans of every race with heritage from all around the globe. Yet no serious person would ever say there is no "Mexican culture" and that it is simply a "multicultural" society.

Why can't you seem to grasp the point that the CULTURE ITSELF is the END PRODUCT of the mixing. The things that have already melded together IS THE CULTURE. The ones who don't meld, or balk at Americanization are simply existing IN America, ALONGSIDE mainstream culture. If you live in the ethnic ghetto, send your kids to ethnic schools, etc. you are NOT making an effort to join the rest of us. And I have no obligation to see you as "American" for any other purpose than census and citizenship.

You are otherwise not "my people" and you never will be. Don't like that attitude? Too damn bad. I'll deal with the people from all other backgrounds who manage a way to integrate and contribute and accept and who want to BE American and FEEL American.

Quote:
The more I read of your post - which bottoms into your resentment of people who don't assimilate. But I'll ask you again - assimilate to what? Should everyone here speak just English, go hunting and fishing, vote republican? Are those things I just mentioned American culture?
Assimilate to our national mores. Our zeitgeist. Our fashion trends. The perspective we have - and are developing - towards rights for LGBT people. Women's rights. Consuming American cultural products. Speaking English. American sports.

You know, American things.

Quote:
You say: Anything anyone else in the world can describe as "American style ______" is describing OUR CULTURE. Which yes, is the end result of mixing over hundreds of years. If you would like to educate yourself on this, go to google and type in "American Style..." You will get suggestions for:

Wow! This is the best you have? I'll give you movies because I'm more embarrassed about the state of Hollywood which is certainly an American phenomenon. But fashion, art, food, reading, homes - these are very subjective.
No. Not really, it's not. It's not anymore subjective than what constitutes a "French" film. Or a Colombian fashion trend. Or an Indian food. (India, btw, is also a "multi cultural" place, yet we have no problem identifying INDIAN culture do we?)

Quote:
Lastly, your traditional American wedding theology was created by whom? Again, the African-American wedding, the Chinese-American wedding, the Mexican-American wedding - all of whom combine cultural nuances that are unique and foreign to their background - are still American.
By Americans. By people who work in the wedding industry. Why do you insist on recasting traditional ceremonies of other cultures as AMERICAN?

People ARE allowed to have a foreign or non-American wedding service, you know. There is no need for you to try to appropriate that or to pretend that it's typical or part of standard or regular practice for the vaaaaast majority of people in this country to ride an elephant at their wedding reception.

Quote:
Lastly, your mention of food is pretty hilarious because to this day I question what American fare is. I've been to "American" restaurants and have eaten Italian, French, German, Chinese, Thai, and so on...which proves my point to the letter - that American culture, if there is such a thing, is just an amalgamation of cultures. There is very little that is specific to America. That's why I asked you to define what American culture is. Because from your response - it seems to tightly knit within Anglosaxons.

I have a feeling you haven't traveled much. When you do, you will often find around the globe "American themed" bars and restaurants. Often, poorly executed of course or modified for the palettes of the natives. The Americanized version of those foods in your American restaurant, however, IS the American cultural product. And that's the damned point. You think you're eating authentic Asian foods at TGI Fridays?

The fried chicken meal ubiquitous to the south has roots in Scotland and African slave traditions. But the way we eat it now is very uniquely American. You won't find southern style fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc. in Glasgow or Benin.

And no, you didn't come to the conclusion that my definition of American Culture is tightly knit with Anglosaxons based on my response. I dare you to show anything - besides English as a bare minimum - that suggest I think Anglo-saxon culture is American culture?

You write that because that is how you are programmed to think. It's what you've been taught, and it's absurd. You think that anyone who insists there is a tangible American culture is some white bread WASP. Meanwhile you're literally an American born in America, trying to lecture someone from an immigrant family that there is no discernible or unqiue American culture, traditions, or ways of doing things which set it apart from the rest of the world (I.E. CULTURE).

Newsflash: The rest of the world can certainly point out American culture. Many reject it and resist it.

The MELTING POT means that immigrant groups have contributed their unique flavors to the whole soup. But there's still a soup!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 AM

2,953 posts, read 994,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Don't get bent out of shape all at some truths you never wanted to acknowledge.....

Its more than that, because all white people are not the same and all of them are not bad people, and all of them do not have negative mentality, or filled with material and money worship.... so please do not try and reduce the commentary to such misplaced simplicity.....

American history is full of some extreme in atrocities that no amount of internet space can compose to discuss all of it.

the point is that Multiculturalism would not be an issue in America if SOME white people, stop expecting that the rest of all the diverse people of America is suppose to emulate or mold themselves to some TV fictionalization of white culture and white society that the media tries to present.

They have to realize they have fractional bits of many cultures that makes up what they try to claim as theirs. The confabulation of the past is a delusion that continues to makes SOME of them at odds with all other cultures, and truth and fact is, they are a blend of every culture on the planet and only want to acknowledge those they think will give them status. When American would be just another country that never achieved the wealth if it had not been for all the cultures that exist in America.
Bent? Far from it. I'm not the one pounding out a 2,000 word pointless rambling manifesto worthy of a Ted Kaczynski diatribe. Pro tip - Until you can make a concise point with something resembling brevity your audience is going to be just above nil and your credibility even lower.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:14 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't think we were more tolerant back then. My Irish ancestors couldn't find work because the 'Muricans of their day were convinced they were scumbag losers sent here to take other people's jobs. They were also discriminated against because of their religion. Sound familiar?
Our Irish ancestors eventually integrated into the American melting pot.
Our Irish ancestors did not want to turn America into New Ireland.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Are you sure?
Yes. I stated my view very early on and IMO people are people, period (this includes those we are killing with zero justification around the world) but I support enforcing our borders.

I believe we need to make the process to come here less cumbersome and there is NO WAY to get everyone here illegally now to leave BUT I am also tired of the two tiered justice system. The government (of both parties) looked the other way because they had something to gain. Cheap labor. If millions of Chinese came here the same thing would happen.

So they ignored the laws that benefitted them while busting people for smoking a little pot.

The border laws need enforced. People should be able come here legally. When they are legal though they can't be exploited.

Done correctly the vast majority are still going to be Hispanic. The difference will be they will no longer be forced to accept sub minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies