Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
His name is South Asian and he sure looks Pakistani to me.
I might be wrong about what I think he looks like. That's my opinion.

But the fact remains that describing someone as Asian is akin to describing someone as North American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Because "Asian" is both non-specific and unfairly lumps Orientals with other, violent, Asian cultures. The fast majority of Russia is in Asia, but we rarely refer to Russians as Asian. Do you put the same effort to describe someone as Norwegen, British, German, etc? Or do you describe the region (northern European)?
Excuse me?

I don't think someone who lives in a country which worships firearms and suffers over 30,000 deaths/year from firearms has any standing to lecture other cultures or countries about being violent.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:43 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

But the fact remains that describing someone as Asian is akin to describing someone as North American.
Not really. The term "Asian" has come to mean not just someone from the continent of Asia, but someone whose racial ancestry derives from the original peoples of that continent. In Great Britain, "Asian" means South Asian, such as Pakistani. (Or so I've been told.) In America, "Asian" means East Asian, i.e. Chinese or Korean or Japanese, and also Southeast Asian, such as Vietnamese or Cambodian.

I agree that the term is awfully imprecise and it would be helpful if society agreed to refer to East Asian, South Asian, etc. But it is what it is.

There is no race called "North American." It is a continental descriptor only. A North American can be white, black, Asian, Hispanic, or anything else.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:07 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:

It really isn't, you just weren't aware of the British usage of the term asian and can't seem to separate it from your own definition.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
Merkel says she wants them in Germany, and Trudeau says he'll pay them millions if they come to Canada! California will take them, but they must be illegal.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,452,130 times
Europe is a lost cause. It will be doomed in less than 20 years at this rate.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:00 PM

9,989 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:

It has been explained to you time and time again what the term means to the audience it was aimed at. Why on Earth are you still so hung up on this?

Old 08-09-2017, 05:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Instead of getting all worked up about not being PC or liberal this or that, and knee-jerk opposing something just because of its identification with an ideology, why don't you just ask one of us what's appropriate?

I'm Chinese American, and to refer to someone of my ethnicity/heritage as "Oriental" is akin to calling black or African Americans "Negroes". It's not necessarily really offensive but it is archaic and outdated. If you insist on using that after advisement that you should use another term - it speaks poorly about your consideration of how other people prefer to be called or referred as.

A general rule - Oriental refers to rugs and inanimate objects. You call people by what they want to be called. Common courtesy.
I totally agree with this, and don't personally use the term "Oriental." I just was trying to point out that it was silly to drop it. It was dropped because some liberals thought it was offensive, but as you point out is "not necessarily really offensive."

Old 08-09-2017, 05:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Excuse me?

I don't think someone who lives in a country which worships firearms and suffers over 30,000 deaths/year from firearms has any standing to lecture other cultures or countries about being violent.
Over half of U.S. firearms deaths are suicides. Gun control would have virtually no effect on that. Japan has almost no guns in private hands. Their Olympic athletes in shooting sports have to go offshore just to practice. Yet Japans suicide rate is significantly higher than in the U.S.

In Washington state we had a record number of deaths by trains a couple years ago. About a third are suicides. Does this make a case for "train control?"
2015 breaks 2-decade record of train-pedestrian deaths | The Seattle Times

Old 08-09-2017, 06:16 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,898 times
This reminds me of those horrible things that happened to British little girls in Rotherham and a bunch of other English cities, where thousands young girls were raped repeatedly over decades while UK authorities looked the other way or even helped with the coverup. There were a lot of reasons for it, but it was partly due to political correctness and fear of being called "racist", so England sacrificed its own daughters on the PC altar. Note these were not just teens, thousands of the victims were preteen girls to add to the horror, and one official in the United Kingdom central government suggested that over a million girls may have been raped or molested by these scum in just the past 2 decades.

Rotherham: In the face of such evil, who is the racist now? - Telegraph
Rotherham was just tip of iceberg in England, there was also Telford, Bristol, Derby, Rochdale, Oxford, Peterborough and tons of other British cities. And while working-class girls were certainly severely affected, in many cities it was middle-class and even upper-class girls who were victimized, indicating there's been a general breakdown of British culture and protection of its own kids.

Rotherham child abuse: Cases in other towns - BBC News
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...se-tip-iceberg
Rotherham: the real scandal is much wider - Telegraph
‘Imams promote grooming rings’, Muslim leader claims - Telegraph
Oxford grooming gang: We will regret ignoring Asian thugs who target white girls - Telegraph

The BBC had a very gripping drama about one of the rape and grooming rings (in Rochdale) BTW which is worth watching.
BBC One - Three Girls

Britain isn't alone in this but it's by far the worst effected of any Western or even non-Western country with these grooming horrors and the mass rape of British little girls. This doesn't even happen in wartime, as nasty as it can be when a city falls after a siege, the commanders of the invading armies tend to force the looting soldiers into garrison towns to minimize this sort of thing. (Many Union generals actually executed any of their soldiers who raped the women in fallen Southern towns during the US Civil War, let alone little girls).

The US has also had such cases but nowhere near the same scale, there was that horrible case of the rape and abuse of the 5-year old girl in Idaho
Refugee boys plead guilty to sexual abuse of 5-year-old Idaho girl | Idaho Statesman
and a 10-year-old in Minnesota
Charges: Mpls. Man Accused Of Raping 10-Year-Old Girl « WCCO | CBS Minnesota
plus Canada's own nightmares of late
Storm of reaction to news Syrian refugee charged with sex assaults - Edmonton - CBC News
and of course the Cologne sex assaults, though as widespread as they were (and as incompetent a leader as Angela Merkel is, the worst in the world right now) they didn't involve rape, it was morons and a**holes on New Year's feeling up women at parties.

What's happening in Britain, as a contrast, is the systematic brutalizing of their girls, with cases like this one on the CCTV camera heaped on top of atrocities like Rotherham and Derby. And the British authorities just throw up their hands and act passively. A pathetic demise for a once proud people.

Last edited by Corascant; 08-09-2017 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies