Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 08:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I didn't say it did.

Let me clarify.
I didn't mean to say that the US Census gets to decide what the definition of caucasian is.

I just thought it was notable that they are adding this category.
Sure. Thanks. I actually did not know they were planning on adding it. "Hispanic" was also added to classify spanish speaking people in central and south america. Brazilians are not hispanic and neither are people from Spain.

I wonder what the Israelis think about being lumped in with arabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:24 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastion79 View Post
And the "cultural enrichment" of Britain continues unabated.
Soon the history of how good things were before diversity and multiculturalism will be banned.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Soon the history of how good things were before diversity and multiculturalism will be banned.
Yes, the days of IRA terror were a riot

Old 07-30-2017, 08:48 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
wrong thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:26 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
But they don't appear to be Middle Eastern, they appear to be Asian (Pakistani is my guess).

Birmingham man charged with raping a schoolgirl | Daily Mail Online

Do you stand by that?

Old 07-31-2017, 02:07 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
His name is Khurram Rahi, Rahi is a reasonably common name in the Indian sub-Continent especially Bangladesh so it's like Wilson, or Stevens, but not as common as Smith. Khurram is also Indian sub-Continent although it's Persian in origin.

So yes the guy in the photo is Asian, and Pakistani is a good stab at his ethnicity (so he's probably British).

Old 07-31-2017, 02:10 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, Pakistan is part of Asia, so Pakistanis would be technically Asian. The issue is most people think of East Asians when they hear the descriptor of Asian, so the use of such a broad term is confusing to many and only serves to obscure the reality of the situation.

Descriptors should serve the purpose of informing. The broader and less specific the descriptor is, the less value it has. If I said that a girl was raped by two humans, then how valuable is that?

"Asian" in the US is generally used to refer to "East Asians". People from other parts of Asia are generally called out by their respective country (e.g. Indian, Iranian, Russian, Turkish, etc.) or portion of Asia (e.g. the Middle East).

"Asian" in Britain is generally used to refer to people of Indian or Pakistani descent. I believe this is because of the history of Britain's involvement in that part of the world.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
It's always funny to me on this forum that so many of you don't know that the Middle East is in Asia.... lol

Old 07-31-2017, 02:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
"Asian" in the US is generally used to refer to "East Asians". People from other parts of Asia are generally called out by their respective country (e.g. Indian, Iranian, Russian, Turkish, etc.) or portion of Asia (e.g. the Middle East).

"Asian" in Britain is generally used to refer to people of Indian or Pakistani descent. I believe this is because of the history of Britain's involvement in that part of the world.
Indians and Pakistanis are considered "Asian" in the US too.

From the US Census bureau on racial categorization:

Quote:
Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam

Old 07-31-2017, 02:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Indians and Pakistanis are considered "Asian" in the US too.

From the US Census bureau on racial categorization:
Of course they are. Anyone from the continent (or descended from people from the continent) is "Asian".

But I wasn't talking about technical definitions of the word, but was rather clarifying the word's daily usage by people in the US vs. Britain.

People in each country will think of different people when they hear that word used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies