Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Why not describe them as Middle Eastern, which would be more accurate than Asian? Do Britons not use the term Middle Eastern? I know it's also somewhat vague, but far less so than Asian.

I'm not digging. I'm asking about the use of the term Asian to describe men that I believe appear to be Middle Eastern. I have asked several times in this thread whether Britons use the term Middle Eastern. I never brought up religion.

Fair enough.

Great. Then why even respond?

Yes, it does follow that African is too vague of a description. Just as North American is too vague of a description and Austrailian is too vague of a description. I think you're starting to understand the point of this thread.

Thanks for your input.
This thread might help: Why does the word "Asian" have a very different meaning in the UK than it does in the USA?

I always got the impression they called anyone South Asian/Middle Eastern "Asian" because Indians/Pakistanis were the anchor ethnicity for that term and people from the middle east fit roughly into that same bucket. I have never heard a Brit use the term Middle Eastern personally so I assumed Asian replaced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 12:40 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
I'll ask again.

Is the term "Middle Eastern" not used in Britain?

The men in the CCTV stills do not look to be from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka. They look to be Arab.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabs

What idiotic claim have I made? These perpetrators were described as Asian. Asia is a massive place, encompassing a huge range of physical features. It means nothing to say that these guys were Asian. Why even bother to say they appear Asian if it doesn't help to describe their physical features?

Why must you insult me?
Middle Eastern or Arab is used in Britain, however those two men do not look Middle Eastern, they look Asian (by which I mean the common British usage of Asian).

You are making the idiotic claim that the police are misrepresenting the ethnicity of the suspects - they are not, those men look Asian, that's why the news report refers to them as Asian.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:57 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Middle Eastern or Arab is used in Britain, however those two men do not look Middle Eastern, they look Asian (by which I mean the common British usage of Asian).

You are making the idiotic claim that the police are misrepresenting the ethnicity of the suspects - they are not, those men look Asian, that's why the news report refers to them as Asian.
I haven't seen the police report, so I don't know how the police described them. The news article does not directly quote the police.

Apparently British police use IC codes, which are far more specific than Asian. From Wikipedia:

IC codes (Identity Code) or 6+1 codes are codes used by the British police in radio communications to describe the apparent ethnicity of a suspect. Originating in the late 1970s, the codes are based on a police officer's perceived view of an individual's ethnicity based on a visual assessment, as opposed to that individual's self-definition. In most circumstances where an individual's ethnicity is recorded after spoken contact with police (such as a "Stop and Search" or arrest), police are required to use the more extensive "16+1" Self Defined Ethnicity codes, "even if the category chosen is clearly at odds with the officer’s visual assessment".

IC1 White - North European
IC2 White - South European
IC3 Black
IC4 South Asian
IC5 Chinese, Japanese, or other Southeast Asian
IC6 North African or Arabic
IC9 / IC0 Unknown

Old 07-29-2017, 11:50 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
The issue isn't just that the media appears to be trying to distort the origin of these criminals in order to promote their agenda, as bad as that is. The real issue is that an innocent 15 year old girl was raped not once, but twice in one night, in two separate incidents. And that in both of these cases, it appears that the scumbags were of what we refer as Middle Eastern in origin. The issue isn't the lies of the mainstream media, it's the victimization of Europe at the hands of a foolish political system that insists on importing people from a culture where the sexual assault of women is not just common but accepted and promoted. It is mind boggling that anyone could think that importing people of such a culture would not result in a rampant rise in sexual crimes against women. What is even more shocking is how little European leaders seem to care about the horrific crimes committed against their citizens.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:04 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The issue isn't just that the media appears to be trying to distort the origin of these criminals in order to promote their agenda, as bad as that is. The real issue is that an innocent 15 year old girl was raped not once, but twice in one night, in two separate incidents. And that in both of these cases, it appears that the scumbags were of what we refer as Middle Eastern in origin. The issue isn't the lies of the mainstream media, it's the victimization of Europe at the hands of a foolish political system that insists on importing people from a culture where the sexual assault of women is not just common but accepted and promoted. It is mind boggling that anyone could think that importing people of such a culture would not result in a rampant rise in sexual crimes against women. What is even more shocking is how little European leaders seem to care about the horrific crimes committed against their citizens.
Well stated. The political system, media and academia are colluding. The demographic change and disharmony is being forced intentionally. They are trying to apparently culturally maybe genetically wipe out the West as it's historically long been. Otherwise you'd have to believe they all are this naïve, misinformed and stupid. That's implausible.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:55 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
But they don't appear to be Middle Eastern, they appear to be Asian (Pakistani is my guess).

Old 07-30-2017, 03:46 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
I haven't seen the police report, so I don't know how the police described them. The news article does not directly quote the police.

Apparently British police use IC codes, which are far more specific than Asian. From Wikipedia:

IC codes (Identity Code) or 6+1 codes are codes used by the British police in radio communications to describe the apparent ethnicity of a suspect. Originating in the late 1970s, the codes are based on a police officer's perceived view of an individual's ethnicity based on a visual assessment, as opposed to that individual's self-definition. In most circumstances where an individual's ethnicity is recorded after spoken contact with police (such as a "Stop and Search" or arrest), police are required to use the more extensive "16+1" Self Defined Ethnicity codes, "even if the category chosen is clearly at odds with the officer’s visual assessment".

IC1 White - North European
IC2 White - South European
IC3 Black
IC4 South Asian
IC5 Chinese, Japanese, or other Southeast Asian
IC6 North African or Arabic
IC9 / IC0 Unknown
The 16+1 data is usually data collected that can be analysed in relation to police statistics it aso now includes sexuality etc, it's mainly used as a guide to statistics recording police interaction with people rather than as a crime fighting tool.

The UK Police have two main seperate national computer systens the first is the Police National Computer (PNC) which stores all convictions and the police's own descriptions of offenders including ethncity, height, weight, hair colour, facial features, ethnicity, distinguishing features such as tattoos and other such information including DNA which is added to the National DNA Database, which is linked to the PNC.

PNC - Police National Computer | College of Policing

The second system is the Police National Intelligence Databas, it hold's local information on people suspected of being involved in serious criminal activity relating to say sex crime, violence, terrorism etc and all forces can access it nationally. This system was put in place after the Soham Murders and subsequent Bichard Inquiry. Once again the police can use their own descriptions based on their own perceptions of ethnicity.

Police National Database joins Forces | CGI UK

A third system relates Serious Crime Analyses (a national unit) and serious crimes information is recorded and analysed by the Serious Crime Analysis Section (SCAS) which works to identify the potential emergence of serial killers and serial rapists at the earliest stage of their offending.

SCAS receive case files for offences meeting specific criteria from a network of contact officers located in every police force in the UK. This information is then coded onto ViCLAS (Violent Crime Linkage Analysis System), the in house SCAS database which allows specific details of both the offence and known suspects or offender to be captured.

Cases are then subject to Comparative Case Analysis in order to identify any similar offences held on ViCLAS. Bespoke reports are sent out to force including details of similar offences or potential suspects identified.

National Crime Agency - Major crime support

A fourth National Injuries Database (NID) provides support and advice for serious crime investigations involving all forensic medical issues. It is available to the police and to forensic and medical practitioners both in the UK and internationally and links serious injuries and patterns of serious injuries, murders, rapes and other such serious crimes.

The media are given a discription in some cases when someone is wanted in connection with a crime, and they may use a number of discriptions, although these are usually based on set terms, as you can not predict someones religion or exact country of origin or ethnic heritage that easily especially if they are wearing western clothes hence the generic terms.

I don't know if you realise but many Indians would not be happy at being labelled Pakistani and vice versa, and there are lots of other countries in the region, hence the term Asian is used as using part of a continent sorts is seen as more appriopriate. It also should be noted that Europe is similarly divided in to North and South, Native Southern Europeans tending to have a darker complexion.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-30-2017 at 05:14 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 05:28 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,489,086 times
As for the two men they were arrested yesterday only hours after the incident and are now in police custody - so the identifcation clearly worked.

Men arrested after girl raped twice in Birmingham - BBC

Old 07-30-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Nope. That's not the issue. This thread is not about that. You need to start your own thread if you want to bash Muslims. Or join one already in progress.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
As for the two men they were arrested yesterday only hours after the incident and are now in police custody - so the identifcation clearly worked.
It is not clear that identifying them as Asian helped them find the two men. Nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies