Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 05:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC MCAT View Post
Excuse you , but White people telling Asians what to be offended by doesn't work. As an Asian I'm offended by "Oriental" because I'm not an Object. Over sensitivity? Hilarious to hear a White person try to tell others what they shouldn't be offended by. Going through this thread your posts are highly suspect anyways. Your anti Diversity rants say a lot about who you are.

How does "Oriental" imply that anyone is an object? If someone from Connecticut is referred to as a "Easterner" does it imply that they are an object?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 05:28 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Excuse you , but White people telling Asians what to be offended by doesn't work. As an Asian I'm offended by "Oriental" because I'm not an Object. Over sensitivity? Hilarious to hear a White person try to tell others what they shouldn't be offended by. Going through this thread your posts are highly suspect anyways. Your anti Diversity rants say a lot about who you are.
You're not an object? Are you a ghost or supernatural? It's one thing for Asians to say they'd prefer to be identified as Asian, but to claim a negative connotation even offensive when there isn't any just to tell white people to change their language and dictate what they can and can't say is another. You're post is the one that is suspect.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
It applies to Objects from Asia.
Asian also applies to objects from Asia. Just as Western or Westerner applies to objects.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:32 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
"Oriental" was the normal term in the early to mid 60's, and at least to me never had a negative connotation. I think it was liberals, not 'Orientals' themselves, who decided that it was offensive. A few years ago in my state (WA) the democrat-controlled legislature decided to remove all references to "Oriental" from state laws. Ironically, the biggest objections came from practitioners of "Oriental medicine" who wanted to be able to keep using this nomenclature.
Instead of getting all worked up about not being PC or liberal this or that, and knee-jerk opposing something just because of its identification with an ideology, why don't you just ask one of us what's appropriate?

I'm Chinese American, and to refer to someone of my ethnicity/heritage as "Oriental" is akin to calling black or African Americans "Negroes". It's not necessarily really offensive but it is archaic and outdated. If you insist on using that after advisement that you should use another term - it speaks poorly about your consideration of how other people prefer to be called or referred as.

A general rule - Oriental refers to rugs and inanimate objects. You call people by what they want to be called. Common courtesy.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
My Brit friend calls someone who looks Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. "Chinaman." Never heard him reference a woman so not sure what he'd say. I always preferred the term Oriental because it sounds exotic and special.
Your friend is using a racial slur and stereotyping all East Asians. In case you don't know. I'm going to charitably give you the benefit of the doubt here.

Actually a lot of us don't like the word Oriental when it refers to people because it HAS that connotation of being exotic - and it tends to marginalize us here in the US. Please take note.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:23 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Instead of getting all worked up about not being PC or liberal this or that, and knee-jerk opposing something just because of its identification with an ideology, why don't you just ask one of us what's appropriate?

I'm Chinese American, and to refer to someone of my ethnicity/heritage as "Oriental" is akin to calling black or African Americans "Negroes". It's not necessarily really offensive but it is archaic and outdated. If you insist on using that after advisement that you should use another term - it speaks poorly about your consideration of how other people prefer to be called or referred as.

A general rule - Oriental refers to rugs and inanimate objects. You call people by what they want to be called. Common courtesy.
I'm still confused. Why, exactly, is "Oriental" now considered an offensive term. "The Orient" is a specific region of the world. What else would you call someone from there? It would appear no more offensive than say European-American (or just European if we aren't talking about an American citizen), African/African American, or Canadian. Honestly want to understand.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm still confused. Why, exactly, is "Oriental" now considered an offensive term. "The Orient" is a specific region of the world. What else would you call someone from there? It would appear no more offensive than say European-American (or just European if we aren't talking about an American citizen), African/African American, or Canadian. Honestly want to understand.
Try Asian. Or the country they hail from, such as Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Malaysian.

It's not that hard, really.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
They sure are reluctant to accurately describe these men. Asian? Really?

"The first is described as Asian in his early 20s, approximately 6ft and of slim build. The second is also described as Asian, aged in his early 20s, 5ft 6in to 5ft 7in with a large build and tight beard."

CCTV issued over separate attacks on Birmingham teenager - BBC News
Not sure what's the point of this OP?

Are you saying "non-Asian" men don't comit rape in Britian or anywhere else in the world?

So here you go,
Are you worried about the men here being White, black, Chinese etc?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ive-online/amp

Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Yeah. Where in that article does it say otherwise? Looks Pakistani to me, which is Asian (for the last bloody time)

Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Try Asian. Or the country they hail from, such as Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Malaysian.

It's not that hard, really.
I couldn't necessarily tell a Polish from a Hungarian could you? And you expect me recognize all the nationalities from Asia? I don't get why an East Asian would want to be lumped together with a Pakistani. I know I don't accept being lumped in with Turkish and the rest of the middle east and north Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies