Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 04:58 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
This is just absolutely false. Japan is a nation of 127 million people, south korea is a nation of over 50 million
Switzerland wasnt even invaded during ww1 or ww2 and hasnt been in a war since 1815 and the swiss federation hasnt been in a war in close to 200 years

Why do you think empires are such great things, the british empirewas very racist and colonialist.America is about as far from an empire as you can be, we dont exploit resources, conquer and enslave native populations and return with booty from war like in ancient rome, we are just used militarily by countries who are doing much better than we are.

Even nations that we supposedly "beat" have much nicer cities than we do. Even our rich cities are filled with homeless and are basically pits

https://twitter.com/lrihendry/status/603005470111080448
You had to pick Detroit. This is why I don't fall for this political jingoism. Yes, Detroit looks like that. Seattle doesn't. Boston doesn't look like that. Portland,OR doesn't look like that. Denver doesn't look like that. Most cities are run by Democrats, and most cities are not in nearly as bad of shape as Detroit.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:01 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's still in high debt and becoming a dump.
Maybe where you live. Perhaps you need to do your yard work.

Ken

Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
This is just absolutely false. Japan is a nation of 127 million people, south korea is a nation of over 50 million
Switzerland wasnt even invaded during ww1 or ww2 and hasnt been in a war since 1815 and the swiss federation hasnt been in a war in close to 200 years

Why do you think empires are such great things, the british empirewas very racist and colonialist.America is about as far from an empire as you can be, we dont exploit resources, conquer and enslave native populations and return with booty from war like in ancient rome, we are just used militarily by countries who are doing much better than we are.

Even nations that we supposedly "beat" have much nicer cities than we do. Even our rich cities are filled with homeless and are basically pits

https://twitter.com/lrihendry/status/603005470111080448
I never said Empires were "such great things" - just that being top dog comes with a PRICE. It's pretty easy for Switzerland to fund modern infrastructure when they don't have expensive foreign commitments - it's NOT because they are all WHITE PEOPLE.

Japan has modern infrastructure because they had to build it from SCRATCH (same with Korea) - and so it's NEW. It's nothing to do with being mostly people of one race/culture. Our steel industry collapsed because American business leaders were too greedy to put money into redeveloping their plants after WWII and before they knew it those new Japanese and Korea plants (which had been built with NEW technology and were thus far more efficient) were able to produce better, cheaper steel. You snooze, you lose.'' Again, nothing to do with being all of one race, or one culture.

Ken

Old 08-22-2017, 05:14 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Maybe where you live. Perhaps you need to do your yard work.

Ken
You can find plenty of places in the USA that are dumpy, that don't attract immigrants. Many places in the Mississippi Delta are like this. I should know because that is where my grandparents are from. They fled that region, and never lived there again. That is why my father is a born and raised Midwesterner. The Mississippi Delta is still one of the poorest regions in the USA. Mississippi is the poorest state in the USA.

There are many parts of Appalachia that are dumpy, and riddled with drugs. I don't see immigrants trying to go there. At one time immigrants did go there, for the mining jobs. Not anymore. West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, parts of eastern Tennessee, parts of southwest Virginia.

Look to many of the Native American reservations. Alot of places in rural areas that are in bad shape. Poverty, crime, alcoholism, suicide among some.

Many of these places were in awful shape when immigration was at a minimum.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I never said Empires were "such great things" - just that being top dog comes with a PRICE. It's pretty easy for Switzerland to fund modern infrastructure when they don't have expensive foreign commitments - it's NOT because they are all WHITE PEOPLE.

Japan has modern infrastructure because they had to build it from SCRATCH (same with Korea) - and so it's NEW. It's nothing to do with being mostly people of one race/culture. Our steel industry collapsed because American business leaders were too greedy to put money into redeveloping their plants after WWII and before they knew it those new Japanese and Korea plants (which had been built with NEW technology and were thus far more efficient) were able to produce better, cheaper steel. You snooze, you lose.'' Again, nothing to do with being all of one race, or one culture.

Ken
Yep Ken so true. The middle east's cities are the same to my understanding. Well, except Egypt...places like Dubai etc. where the infrastructure is new. The US has ageing infrastructure, so Yes there are place the honestly look like dumps. Of course there are still nice places, such as areas that have quality construction or the newly-built areas.

What makes me mad in MD is that they keep building new crap. We have old places that are not used anymore, and nobody wants to fix them up. But they have already cut down all the trees there and ruined the place. But developers just run to whatever areas are untouched, and then cut down all the trees THERE, dirty up the water and build new crap.

What do they think will happen to THAT in 100 years? That will be a dump too. It makes me upset. I'm also not an engineer, but I really have a hard time seeing what is sustainable about building like skyscrapers and such. Like...what is their LIFESPAN? Even if it looks good now, there is no way it is going to last forever.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You can find plenty of places in the USA that are dumpy, that don't attract immigrants. Many places in the Mississippi Delta are like this. I should know because that is where my grandparents are from. They fled that region, and never lived there again. That is why my father is a born and raised Midwesterner. The Mississippi Delta is still one of the poorest regions in the USA. Mississippi is the poorest state in the USA.

There are many parts of Appalachia that are dumpy, and riddled with drugs. I don't see immigrants trying to go there. At one time immigrants did go there, for the mining jobs. Not anymore. West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, parts of eastern Tennessee, parts of southwest Virginia.

Look to many of the Native American reservations. Alot of places in rural areas that are in bad shape. Poverty, crime, alcoholism, suicide among some.

Many of these places were in awful shape when immigration was at a minimum.
Yeah, some parts of the country were/are poor. Always been that way, always will. Some areas just don't have any industry - so there's no jobs, so folks are poor.

Ken

Old 08-22-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yep Ken so true. The middle east's cities are the same to my understanding. Well, except Egypt...places like Dubai etc. where the infrastructure is new. The US has ageing infrastructure, so Yes there are place the honestly look like dumps.

What makes me mad in MD is that they keep building new crap. We have old places that are not used anymore, and nobody wants to fix them up. But they have already cut down all the trees there and ruined the place. But developers just run to whatever areas are untouched, and then cut down all the trees, dirty up the water and build new crap.

What do they think will happen to THAT in 100 years? That will be a dump too. It makes me upset. I'm also not an engineer, but I really have a hard time seeing what is sustainable about building like skyscrapers and such. Like...what is their LIFESPAN. Even if it looks good now, there is no way it is going to last forever.
Yeah, there's kind a hidden trap in having a lot of existing infrastructure - they more you have, the more it costs just to maintain it, and therefor the less money you have available to upgrade and/or replace/expand. The U.S. now finds itself in that position. Those nations with NEW infrastructure today, will encounter that problem down the road.

Ken

Old 08-22-2017, 05:27 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You had to pick Detroit. This is why I don't fall for this political jingoism. Yes, Detroit looks like that. Seattle doesn't. Boston doesn't look like that. Portland,OR doesn't look like that. Denver doesn't look like that. Most cities are run by Democrats, and most cities are not in nearly as bad of shape as Detroit.
I have only lived in one of those places you named and downtown seattle is an absolute dump. When we were setting up the branch in seattle we had to give out maps of the route to walk to work from hotels as to avoid the streets and parks with druggies and homeless, many of them with serious mental illnesses and aggressive in panhandling.

None of those cities you named or almost all of american cities would be truly first tier cities with amazing mass transit like so much of asia (Japan,Korea,Singapore,etc) Switzerland and Europe

If anything places like Portland and Seattle may probe some peoples point here, racial uniformity is worthless unless you have a disciplined and orderly culture, those two places are sewers of liberalism and "tolerance"

I would rather live as a minority in singapore, a city with great public services ( mass transit, low crime, great nightlife) than being white in seattle or portland or in most of americas cities

Old 08-22-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I have only lived in one of those places you named and downtown seattle is an absolute dump. When we were setting up the branch in seattle we had to give out maps of the route to walk to work from hotels as to avoid the streets and parks with druggies and homeless, many of them with serious mental illnesses and aggressive in panhandling.

None of those cities you named or almost all of american cities would be truly first tier cities with amazing mass transit like so much of asia (Japan,Korea,Singapore,etc) Switzerland and Europe

If anything places like Portland and Seattle may probe some peoples point here, racial uniformity is worthless unless you have a disciplined and orderly culture, those two places are sewers of liberalism and "tolerance"

I would rather live as a minority in singapore, a city with great public services ( mass transit, low crime, great nightlife) than being white in seattle or portland or in most of americas cities
So go!
Just don't spit on the sidewalk.

Ken

Old 08-22-2017, 06:26 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:

If you still owned that place in Seattle, you'd be able to sell it for a pretty penny right now. I imagine the insane growth they're seeing will result in more investment and it'll just keep getting better.

Those places you mentioned are all great (I lived in one, my SO lived in another) but I don't know where racial diversity plays into that. You seem to recognize Singapore is very diverse. Korea and Japan not so much but the latter just changed their laws this year to make it easier for foreigners to become permanent residents there... so it may well be moving in Singapore's direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies