Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to check potential employees credit?
Yes. 71 42.01%
No. 90 53.25%
Indifferent/No Answer. 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 12:51 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I agree with this. I think what people don't seem to realize is that if you as an employer start asking really inappropriate questions then you will have a harder time finding decent employees that want to work for you. Asking about my credit in a job interview isn't too personal. Asking how many people I have slept with is and I would excuse myself and leave a I think most people would. Employers want to screen people and encourage people to want to work there. Nothing is owed to either one until an agreement is made. I don't think there is a reason to worry about all the employers out there getting out of hand with their questions.
Maybe to you it isn't. To me and a lot of other people it is. Never mind the fact that a lot of people have bad credit. Giving potential employers access to credit scores allows them to see all sorts of personal information they don't need to have. And the idea that employers are protecting their own interests by pulling credit is garbage too, because employees with bad credit are not more likely to steal. So why do employers do it? To eliminate candidates who don't want companies running their credit (for whatever reason) and pure nosiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 01:06 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Wrong. We have a long history of employment discrimination cases in the US. For instance you can't ask someone if they're pregnant.
You can ask if a woman is pregnant. You can't discriminate based on the answer. That is a very important distinction.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:08 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
So, do you feel an employer has the right to do what they feel necessary to protect their business or not? Your post is just a rambling bunch of stuff.
From the beginning of the thread-- I said its an overreach that does NOT protect your company and I showed many instances where this does NOT help you. no need to pull credit.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:22 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It isn't. Not a single person arguing in favor of these credit checks has been able to prove that employees with bad credit are more likely to steal than employees with good credit. Why is that? Because they aren't.
Whether or not those with bad credit are more likely to steal from an employer is irrelevant. The relevant point is very simple: Employers determine the criteria for those they choose to hire. It doesn't matter if the criteria make sense.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:27 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Quote:
Maybe to you it isn't. To me and a lot of other people it is. Never mind the fact that a lot of people have bad credit. Giving potential employers access to credit scores allows them to see all sorts of personal information they don't need to have. And the idea that employers are protecting their own interests by pulling credit is garbage too, because employees with bad credit are not more likely to steal. So why do employers do it? To eliminate candidates who don't want companies running their credit (for whatever reason) and pure nosiness.
Then excuse yourself and leave. Let them hire someone else.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:36 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Is there data on that?

And more importantly, the converse. Are employees with good credit less likely to steal? How about employees with excellent credit? Are they less likely to steal?

I would tend to think so, but again, I have not seen any data on that either.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Is there data on that?

And more importantly, the converse. Are employees with good credit less likely to steal? How about employees with excellent credit? Are they less likely to steal?

As I said before earlier in the thread gambling debts aren't on credit reports at all. Bankruptcy is but not being caught in underworld issues like gambling.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:01 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Is there data on that?

Yes, there is. There is an abundance of data and articles that say exactly what I am telling you; there is no correlation between bad credit and employee performance/criminality. As a matter of fact, often times people have bad credit for the very reason potential employers should be barred from checking it. Unemployment is a major obstacle that hinders people from paying their bills.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/does-ba...-bad-employee/

Old 11-26-2017, 05:19 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There is nothing on my credit report to indicate "medical-related". All my credit report says is that 15 years ago, two judgments were obtained by creditors for unpaid debts. It's not medical debt, it's non-medical debt that was unpaid because of a medically-related hospitalization and extended loss of income.
The two judgements mentioned should indicate who the judgment is for. The overwhelming vast majority of those I know that check credit for employment mostly disregard judgements that awarded to medical facilities. Unless your applying at the medical facility that you owe money, then you are probably screwed.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Whether or not those with bad credit are more likely to steal from an employer is irrelevant. The relevant point is very simple: Employers determine the criteria for those they choose to hire. It doesn't matter if the criteria make sense.
^^^^^This.

If an employer wants to only hire bank tellers that can juggle oranges, that should be the employer's right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies