Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 06:35 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Especially the Congressional Republicans. Who are they trying to protect?

As Americans, we can take a hit, but with our market being the best destination for the world’s products, we can hit just as hard or harder. Why are we so afraid to make others cry uncle for once? Our workers and industries have been crying uncle for decades with no relief in sight...til now.

If many Americans take a big blow in a trade war, then we should simply step up to the plate and help take care of those that are adversely affected. That’s what strong nations are supposed to do.

I mean, so many Americans have no problems with actual physical wars where people are getting killed and we never win anything in the end, but we’re gonna punk out and tremble at the mere thought of a trade war? Please.

If the Chinese and Europeans want a trade war, let’s do it. I think we stand a good chance of winning it or at least getting a better bargain for our workers and our industries.
We have been in a trade war for the last 30 years.
Wages have stagnated while at the same time compensation for CEO's and Wall Street have risen.
The income inequality is greater in this country than it ever has been thanks to globalism.
Some tried to suggest a higher minimum wage and the chamber of commerce puppets said no can do.
Some also said how about a basic income and again, the chamber of commerce puppets again said no can do.

So that leaves us with tariffs which are constitutional.
They need to be applied to slave labor nations though rather than countries on par with ours.

These people have been attacking this country for the last 30 years where they put their wallets above the people of this nation and we need to attack them back.

There are the usual propagandists that say consumers are the winners with cheaper prices, but if that is so, then why is CEO and Shareholder Compensation so much higher than historical norms then?

As we have been told so many times, shareholders are number one, not consumers. I never hear anymore how the customer is number one in a business. It is always about the shareholders.

All the profits from globalism go not to the consumers, not the workers but to shareholders and upper management. We need to end the gravy train and put this nation first.

Last edited by J746NEW; 03-03-2018 at 06:44 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 06:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If China or India or whomever wants to subsidize our auto and appliance and packing and aerospace industries, let 'em. Why the hell would we try to stop them?
They're not subsidizing our industry. They are subsidizing their industry over there.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:40 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Especially the Congressional Republicans. Who are they trying to protect?

As Americans, we can take a hit, but with our market being the best destination for the world’s products, we can hit just as hard or harder. Why are we so afraid to make others cry uncle for once? Our workers and industries have been crying uncle for decades with no relief in sight...til now.

If many Americans take a big blow in a trade war, then we should simply step up to the plate and help take care of those that are adversely affected. That’s what strong nations are supposed to do.

I mean, so many Americans have no problems with actual physical wars where people are getting killed and we never win anything in the end, but we’re gonna punk out and tremble at the mere thought of a trade war? Please.

If the Chinese and Europeans want a trade war, let’s do it. I think we stand a good chance of winning it or at least getting a better bargain for our workers and our industries.
I'm with you and applaud you for being able to credit Trump where it's due. The multinational corporations are spending a fortune lobbying both D & R politicians to fight Trump on these tariffs & the inevitable end of NAFTA.

With unemployment the lowest it's been since the 1960's and wages increasing at the fastest pace in nearly 10 years, Americans can afford to pay a bit more short term to buy American.

Look at the trade deficits since NAFTA passed, look at our manufacturing since NAFTA passed, look at our steel/aluminum industries since NAFTA. How anyone can ignore the evidence and pretend NAFTA is good for the American worker is mind boggling.

Trump is not launching a trade war. The trade war was launched decades ago and Trump is finally responding.

The Chinese Govt subsidizes steel production, which is not free trade nor organic. Then they overproduce steel which artificially drives down prices hurting the US steel industry. Then, to avoid paying the reciprocal taxes to export to the United States, they instead ship their steel to Canada & Mexico who then move it into the US tax free via NAFTA, or the Chinese build factories in Mexico & Canada, then move their products into the US tax free using NAFTA to back door us.

An example is Canada freaking out about the tariff on steel imports. The media is going bonkers about the poor Canadians, who supply 19% of our steel, having tariffs imposed on them. You know how much steel Canada produces? None. They import it from China, then ship the Chinese steel into the US at a mark-up. They have become the broker or middle-man for the Chinese and it's time it stopped.

Furthermore, these commodities are a matter of national security. If we're going to rebuild our infrastructure we need steel. If we're going to rebuild our military we need steel. If we're going to host companies moving back to the United States or expanding their existing businesses thanks to the corporate tax cuts, they will need steel and there's no reason it shouldn't be American steel.

Once these tariffs are imposed, once NAFTA's done, China will have no real use for Canada or Mexico anymore as their main value was as a back door to the US market. When that happens Canada & Mexico will be begging to renegotiate a new trade deal.

Last edited by Mason3000; 03-03-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 06:45 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,440 times
After decade of preaching the whole world about free trade, now it's being rolled back, Why you ask? Caring for the average joe? haha, it's pure stupidity like this tweet shows.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...25362580484098

The government gives billions of dollars in subsidies to just about every single industry thus making trade very profitable for many years. Businesses don't care about deficits as long as the government picks up the tab they can cash in. Now tariffs, that can't be good even for them corrupt folks.

I don't think this will lead to war like some are saying. I wouldn't be surprised if a "lone shooter" fix the problem.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If China or India or whomever wants to subsidize our auto and appliance and packing and aerospace industries, let 'em. Why the hell would we try to stop them?
They subsidize their industries, not ours. Imagine your kid was having a contest with their friend to see who could save the most money in 30 days? Your kid mows lawns, babysits, walks dogs, etc and saves $200. The other kid saves $100, but their Dad gives them $300 and your kid loses $200 to $400. Doesn't seem fair does it?

Old 03-03-2018, 06:49 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm with you and applaud you for being able to credit Trump where it's due. The multinational corporations are spending a fortune lobbying both D & R politicians to fight Trump on these tariffs & the inevitable end of NAFTA.

Exactly!
It is not a partisan issue, because these Multinational Corporations well Don whatever cap is the flavor of the day, Democrat, Republican, even Communist (China) and Dictators will do if you pass their purchased policies they wrote to benefit them,

Old 03-03-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
After decade of preaching the whole world about free trade, now it's being rolled back, Why you ask? Caring for the average joe? haha, it's pure stupidity like this tweet shows.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...25362580484098

The government gives billions of dollars in subsidies to just about every single industry thus making trade very profitable for many years. Businesses don't care about deficits as long as the government picks up the tab. Now tariffs, that can't be good even for them corrupt folks.

I don't think this will lead to war like some are saying. I wouldn't be surprised if a "lone shooter" fix the problem.
This shift from a service based, global focused economy back to a manufacturing based, US focused economy is the reason for all the hate surrounding Trump. All the media hysteria, everything, it's all about these moves. The globalists/multinationals that actually run this planet will do anything to defend their profits and Trump is a massive threat to what they're doing.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:12 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
The global economy has screwed America for the last 60+ years so it’s about time we cut bait.

Wait, what? We have reaped huge economic benefits? You dont say...

Old 03-03-2018, 07:25 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
An example is Canada freaking out about the tariff on steel imports. The media is going bonkers about the poor Canadians, who supply 19% of our steel, having tariffs imposed on them. You know how much steel Canada produces? None. They import it from China, then ship the Chinese steel into the US at a mark-up. They have become the broker or middle-man for the Chinese and it's time it stopped.
Now I know you are a troll.

Canada produces 13 million tonnes of steel annually (of which 7 million tonnes are exported) at 19 facilities across 5 provinces.

http://www.canadiansteel.ca/wp-conte...stry_Stats.pdf

Value wise, Canada imports as much steel FROM the U.S. as it exports to the U.S.:

https://twitter.com/CSPA_ACPA/status/969296667198472192

Old 03-03-2018, 07:49 PM

736 posts, read 353,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I never thought I'd hear you say you're with Trump

While I do get the point that our market is something other countries will bargain to say active in, I have to say Trump is making me nervous with this trade war talk. On the other hand, I know Trump is brilliant and I hope he knows what he's doing on this one. If he can change unfair trade practices that hurt our workers, kudos to him.
The world has gone mad. Mad I tell you. Next thing you know, Trump supporters will become anti-Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies