Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Hope you and your family lose their jobs then. Maybe then you'll see how stupid this is
Keep hoping. If I lose my job and can’t get another one, then I’ll just go on full blown Welfare. Or...maybe you’ll spot me coming outta your house with a knapsack fulla goodies.

I ain’t gonna miss a meal either way. Perish the thought.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:09 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
I'm not afraid of sensible, planned, strategic tariff reform.

That's not what's happening. Forget who said it, but it fits: Trump is a bull who carries a china shop everywhere he goes.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:14 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Keep hoping. If I lose my job and can’t get another one, then I’ll just go on full blown Welfare. Or...maybe you’ll spot me coming outta your house with a knapsack fulla goodies.

I ain’t gonna miss a meal either way. Perish the thought.
Funny how these same people "care" about American workers now when thousands lost their jobs when we went full globalism so Wall Street and Management could make megabucks.

We were told to adapt, well, back at them, adapt with the new tariffs coming.
American Workers losing their jobs is not a new thing with corporate America at the helm.

I think it is time for Corporate America to put on their boot straps and adapt for what is best for this country

Old 03-03-2018, 11:26 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Some nations do need this tariff. China and even Europe have been taking advantage of us. Exempt our neighbors in Canada and Mexico and I am in. Like NAFTA or not it is ingrained into the economies of all three countries. We need to respect the treaty we signed and we need to keep ourselves out of hot water with our neighbors so the renegotiated NAFTA treaty ends giving us the best deal we can get. It also makes no sense to economically damage Canada or Mexico, that would effect us as well. If any nations get breaks from us it should be them.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:30 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
BTW...Ross Perot was right about everything. I wish I’d voted for him in ‘92!
We don’t usually agree but we do on this. I voted for him and all these years later it’s obvious he was right. We can’t undo NAFTA but we can stop the Asians and Europeans from walking all over us. Perot’s views on the national debt was spot on too. I know he is still alive, wonder if he ever says “see I told you so”?

Old 03-03-2018, 11:36 PM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Some nations do need this tariff. China and even Europe have been taking advantage of us. Exempt our neighbors in Canada and Mexico and I am in. Like NAFTA or not it is ingrained into the economies of all three countries. We need to respect the treaty we signed and we need to keep ourselves out of hot water with our neighbors so the renegotiated NAFTA treaty ends giving us the best deal we can get. It also makes no sense to economically damage Canada or Mexico, that would effect us as well. If any nations get breaks from us it should be them.
Can you explain how china and Europe selling goods to us cheaper than we can make them is "taking advantage"?

Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Yep. ALL of it.

Agreed.

Of course, those that can't imagine working in a factory (getting dirty and all that) are probably focused on the possibility that all the cheap crap Walmart sells might go away.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:39 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Can you explain how china and Europe selling goods to us cheaper than we can make them is "taking advantage"?
Insert something about taking jobs away from the US blah blah blah. Reality is that the US doesn't have the production capabilities. Nor is anyone going to buy $2000 iPhones which will cause Apple's stock to tank. Etc.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 PM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Agreed.

Of course, those that can't imagine working in a factory (getting dirty and all that) are probably focused on the possibility that all the cheap crap Walmart sells might go away.
People always have a choice to buy more a expensive item and they still choose to buy the Walmart crap as you call it. Who are you to call for a tax on them?

Old 03-03-2018, 11:52 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
So. Americans should have to make sacrifices for the good of our workers and industries. Americans need to learn how to fight for something for a change.

If it costs us more at the register, then too bad.
This may be the case in the short-term, but American made products generally perform better and last longer.

Of course, as soon as the people that have been sticking it to us realize they ****ed themselves, they'll be back with their hat in their hand.

Personally, I believe Americans can produce almost everything we need, and if we can supply our own economy without selling the Chi-coms the rope they'll use to hang us, I say let's do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies