Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:19 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Ha! A quick google confirms it.

"The first "soft-sided facilities," as the government calls them, have already been erected in Tornillo, Texas, a border town about 40 miles southeast of El Paso, said Kenneth Wolfe, a spokesman for the Administration for Children and Families at the Department of Health and Human Services. Around 360 children will be placed in the air-conditioned units in the coming days and more could be added in the future, he said. "
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ash/705562002/
Wouldn't it be nice if some of our mentally ill homeless population could live there. They don't like shelter buildings, but they do like tents. I'd rather see my tax money spent on our citizens.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:22 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
A foreign national adult enters the United States illegally. Soon he and another illegal alien (maybe his wife, maybe not) have a child on U.S. soil. By current interpretation of law, the child is a U.S. citizen because he was born here. But the parents are not.

When the child is 2 years old, ICE officers find the parents are illegal aliens, and a judge rules that they must be deported to the country they came from.

What happens to the 2-year-old child?

And whose fault is it?

The illegal alien parents knew before they came in, that they were breaking the law and were subject to be deported for it, by law. Yet they decided to have a child on U.S. soil anyway.

Why did they put this new child into such a situation? What were their plans for the child in the event they got caught and deported?

The child is a U.S. citizen, and ICE knows they have no grounds to deport him.

Do the parents take the child with them back to the parent's country? Or do they leave him in the U.S., with relatives or good friends or etc.? It's the parents' choice and no one else's.

If they decide to leave the child in the U.S., who exactly is responsible for "breaking up the family"?

What had the parents planned to do with the child in the event they (the illegal-alien parents) were busted and deported?

If you have read the news reports you know that the people we are talking about aren't being picked up by Ice in America...they are Entering the country to try to legally at a check point (there are lines of people who wait for days to get to the check point) to legally apply for political asylum. So Ice isn't going to pick them up, they did not come into the country illegally.
You are writing about illegal Aliens...and that is a whole other kettle of fish...that is someone who came here illegally. I personally kind of think the law needs to changed there...perhaps a person should not be
deemed an American citizen just because they are born on American soil. But that is a whole different situation. And one for the Lawmakers to address.)

It is like comparing apples and oranges. The Refugees are asking for Asylum.
They are seeking to immigrate here...it is our Country that decides if they will or not.)

I am not saying that all should be accepted....I don't know the details of each and every case.
But being a Refugee is one thing, but when are seeking legal immigration status, that should not make you a criminal. What criminal act was performed there?

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 06-16-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-16-2018, 10:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
but refugees do have a right to come here and seek asylum, whether it is denied or not. (And someone shouldn't be treated like a criminal, because they are
a refugee seeking asylum, and have their children ripped from them.)
The people in this instant are very rarely Mexican, they are South Americans mostly from Honduras
and Ecuador seeking political asylum and often because/or partly because of the corruption of the Government from which they seeking Asylum.

They have a right to seek asylum but they do not have the right to roam freely within this country while their asylum case is evaluated.

And they choose to come here and seek asylum, they are not forced to by the US. They know the terms of entry (adults and minors in separate detention) therefore by choosing to enter they are agreeing to these terms. Don't like the terms, don't enter.

Yes, most are from Central America. They are not seeking asylum from Mexico so they can await evaluation of their asylum case in Mexico, if they like the terms offered by Mexico better.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:28 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
He is such a liar, a fake, a phony. From his orange hair down to his bone spurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Please stay on topic. We're talking about turning away illegals.
We are talking about a reprehensible trump policy that he implemented only a few weeks ago, a drastic change from his policy that has existed since he took office over a year ago. HE directed Sessions to do this. Now trump lies and says it's the fault of laws passed by Democrats and he has no choice but to separate families. It is an obvious lie by a liar of epic proportions. That IS the topic.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
If you have read the news reports you know that the people we are talking about aren't being picked up by Ice in America...they are Entering the country legally at a check point (there are lines of people who wait for days to get to the check point) to legally apply for political asylum.

Yes, and they know the terms of entry - adults and minors detained in separate facilities until their asylum case is adjudicated.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:31 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Why kidnap the children and force them into camps?

Just deport the entire family together.
I think that had been the policy all along. After staying together in a facility -together- and having an asylum hearing before a judge. If they are not granted asylum the whole family is deported.
The problem is that there is a huge, huge backlog on the hearings. So “ deterrence “ is their answer to the stemming the flow of refugees from Central America.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I gave the answer. We do and always have separated American parents from their American kids anytime the parent is arrested for any reason, any misdemeanor. Why should we afford aliens an exception?
We separate American families for a misdemeanor? Please cite evidence.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post

The complete absence of any jails in this country where adults and minors (except those charged as adults) are mixed, or males and females are mixed. In fact, our courts have ruled against it.

Detaining children in adult prison ruled unlawful, but court agrees to delay moving them. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-2...-rules/8137838

When it occasionaly happens by accident, it's big news and an outrage. https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...-jail/6934091/

Old 06-16-2018, 11:00 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Yep. Parent gets arrested. Then, must post bail. Guess what happens if they don't have enough $ to post bail? Separated families. Please tell me you already knew this.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:07 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Why kidnap the children and force them into camps?

Just deport the entire family together.

Nice. 1930s German officials would be proud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies