Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 07:56 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If Im not mistaken Pope Francis is a Jesuit, if anyone knows what their overall goal is, they would understand why he made such a comment.
What is the overall goal? I believe it was founded to spread Catholicism ahead of the growing protestant movement. The first Jesuits would go to the edges of Christianity and convert natives.

From what I understand, the Jesuits have always strongly proclaimed the pope as the supreme human on Earth, over any government. Might not sound like a big deal now, but imagine taking that stance in the 1500s and 1600s.

I could be incorrect about some or all of what I wrote. But I did do some basic research awhile ago. The Jesuits are very interesting, I think the most interesting out of all the Catholic orders. They are also accused of some crazy things, such as the Titanic. Forgot what the theory behind that was.

fun video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1bHPhv5uGg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And if a gay couple wanted to hold a reception at a Trump ( owned or managed) Hotel, the couple would be asked “ how big of a cake can we create for you? “

And if they were to go to the local Catholic Friendship House near the cathedral they would be turned away and not allowed to stay in the same room because any union would be invalid, even after the latest statement attributed to the reigning Pope.

So while gay's are loved in God's eye as he said they are not allowed to have sex, unless they marry a beard of the other gender and have sex with that valid spouse. Or remain strictly celibate and thus become prime candidates for the religious life in the Catholic Church as a priest, monk or nun.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
What is the overall goal? I believe it was founded to spread Catholicism ahead of the growing protestant movement. The first Jesuits would go to the edges of Christianity and convert natives.

From what I understand, the Jesuits have always strongly proclaimed the pope as the supreme human on Earth, over any government. Might not sound like a big deal now, but imagine taking that stance in the 1500s and 1600s.

I could be incorrect about some or all of what I wrote. But I did do some basic research awhile ago. The Jesuits are very interesting, I think the most interesting out of all the Catholic orders. They are also accused of some crazy things, such as the Titanic. Forgot what the theory behind that was.

fun video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1bHPhv5uGg
Their goal had something to do with infiltrating the papacy/ CC with 'one of their one'.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-carlos-cruz

A message of love and acceptance...that I can stand with.
The Catholic Church has continually turned a blind eye to child sex abuse, so I don't think they are in much of a position to take the moral high ground when it comes to gays.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Why do people get so angry over expressions of love and acceptance? What a sad indictment of our world.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Funny how a lot of people here seem know a lot more about Catholicism than the Pope does but that's not surprising considering where we are.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There are plenty of Christian churches that accept homosexuality and welcome gay people openly into their congregation. Evangelicals of course are another story.
This isn't the first time the Pope has come out in defense of Christianity including gay people, so he's no stranger to supporting those who love God regardless of their sexual orientation.
He also took a lot of heat for saying "If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?"
Can’t use a broad brush on all Evangelicals.

Thousands of evangelical churches in the US and around the world. Some are more welcoming than others.

Some will bless a SSM. Others will condemn.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:07 AM

13,606 posts, read 4,936,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
God must have been kidding about Lev. 18:22 then.
How about Lev 19:19? "Do not wear clothing woven from two kinds of material". Guess that cotton / polyester blend is verboten.

Also Lev 19:27 "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." Well, I'll be damned.

But I might grant conservatives Lev 18:22 if only they would follow Lev 19:34, "The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born"

Old 05-22-2018, 08:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Yes, He did. Jesus only acknowledged a relationship between a man and a woman. Jesus never reached out to the unrepentant sodomite community.
How do you know what the man called Jesus did or not?

The gospels were written by different men at different times is different cultures. All of it is subject to translation, interpretation and contradictions. Not all churches recognize all gospels.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:26 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Can’t use a broad brush on all Evangelicals.

Thousands of evangelical churches in the US and around the world. Some are more welcoming than others.

Some will bless a SSM. Others will condemn.
I have yet to discover an evangelical church that isn’t anti-gay. The most liberal it gets is “God loves you but you have to remain celibate for life, marry an opposite sex partner, or do conversion therapy. The last church I went to before I left Christinanity was liberal for an evangelical church and they said from the pulpit that a gay married couple would have to get divorced and take a vow of celibacy before they could join the church.

One of the evangelical distinctives is they view the Bible as literal and infallible and it’s almost unheard of for such a church to accept LGBT people. Those that do such as some Cooperative Baptist Fellowship churches are no longer evangelical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies