Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 05:13 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
We need a timely reporting law so that people's lives can no longer be disrupted and democracy hijacked by ancient allegations which cannot be proven or disproven due to the lapse of time, eroding memories, and generally making it impossible to ascertain factual events from fictional allegations.

We can all agree that sexual assaults are more impactful on society than property crimes, right?

So, in CA and NY/RI, you have 5 days and 24 hours, respectively, to notify law enforcement of the theft of any firearm.

Surely for something even more emergent than a missing piece of property, we can impose the same reporting requirements on a far more serious offense, to ensure that investigations are contemporaneously initiated, that evidence is preserved, and so that the system ensures equal justice in the form of sufficient due process, for both victim and accused.
I think people should tell right away, but I'm adamantly against making that a law. First off, we don't need MORE government involvement in our lives. Second, sometimes they can't get away in that short amount of time (ie: adult attacking child). Third, from what I've seen, it's embarrassing and humiliating, and it can be hard to talk about right after it happened.

I have personally never been through that, my sis has. It still humiliates her - and that's a problem. It should not humiliate her...but I do get it since he who did that to her abused me - and that was humiliating for me to admit for the longest time like I was the one who was at fault. But, at 11 years old, she faced him down in court - so she was humiliated, but she was still brave. Unfortunately, she doesn't focus on the latter.

We need to start off by making girls more confident, stronger, more courageous. That does not mean turn them into man haters, however. That does not mean use the government to do that. It means that girls need to stop attacking other girls - that's who attacks females the most: other females. I don't mean physically, necessarily, although that is rising, I mean verbally, mentally, emotionally, females attack other females way harsher and far more often than any door knob on the street making catcalls at her does.

We also need to start holding females accountable for their actions instead of letting them off with a light slap on the wrist. If you lie and ruin someone's life, you go to prison. No "time served", go. to. prison. You deal with YOUR life being ruined for your lies.

We need to teach females that they can TRY for anything they want, but they need to accept that they will not always GET what they want, and crying about it is not the proper way to get what you want. You want respect? Earn it.

Even if someone is strong and courageous, it's still going to be hard for them to go to the police - I get that. I do not agree with telling them that they have to, by law, go within 48 hours. I wish they would - but I would refuse to enforce that.

However, there should be a limit on how far back you can go when making accusations. If there is no way to prove it or disprove it, it's completely pointless. If it's wrecking them that much, go to therapy, work through it, try to get on with life as you do.

The best time to say something IS right after so that there's a very good chance of catching the pos who hurt them, but I refuse to force them to do it with a law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 05:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
If there was a time limit of a month or whatever it would get women to come forward.
No it won't. Women who are sexually assaulted don't think "eh, maybe I'll report this in 10-20 years." If there was a 48 hour statute of limitations, there will still be women who don't report the rape. Either they're afraid, want to pretend it didn't happen, blame themselves for what, or a multutude of other reasons that women have for not reporting the crime. Such a short window to report the crime will only mean more rapists will go unpunished.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:22 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
The only people who want this are those that don't understand what happens to a woman (or anyone) who has been raped. It can be many years before they are able to come forward. Some (as in the case of rape of a child) can take until they are adults and able to come to terms with their abuse.

I say the opposite...

Get rid of the statute of limitations all together.

However...

If a person falsely accuses another of such of a crime, they need to be dealt with severely and it should be a criminal offense. It needs to be a life-as-they-know-it ending sentence as they have done to another.

Last edited by usayit; 09-28-2018 at 05:39 PM..

Old 09-28-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The only people who want this are those that don't understand what happens to a woman (or anyone) who has been raped. It can be many years before they are able to come forward. Some (as in the case of rape of a child) can take until they are adults and able to come to terms with their abuse.

I say the opposite...

Get rid of the statute of limitations all together.

However...

If a person falsely accuses another of such of a crime, they need to be dealt with severely and it should be a criminal offense.
But therein lies the problem with no statue of limitations. You go back far enough, there is no way to prove or disprove anything. So if someone makes something up, you can't prove that they did, and they would not get punished for it. Meanwhile, the person that they accused has their life destroyed.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:33 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
But therein lies the problem with no statue of limitations. You go back far enough, there is no way to prove or disprove anything. So if someone makes something up, you can't prove that they did, and they would not get punished for it. Meanwhile, the person that they accused has their life destroyed.
The point is that making a false accusation a harsh crime would limit the false accusations..... I think it is fairly easy to prove a false accusation. People lie about crimes every day and somehow the investigation still discovers it.

I've known a couple rape victims.... many are incapable of even discussing it after many years... and many let it define them. Example, many boys abused by the priests only come out when they are adults and usually have emotional and mental issues they live with for the rest of their lives.

and

No... its not like getting into a fight. You remember that you lost and got your rear handed to you.... but it doesn't define you and affect you like a rape does. Your ego and wounds (hopefully) will heal with time.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:34 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Are you a man liable to be falsely accused of sexual offense?

And let me tell you, an older bigger bully punching and kicking you in the groin with boots and trying to break out of chokeholds is plenty "traumatic". You don't forget what happened at the time or become confused about what it was unless you lost consciousness.
Being assaulted like you describe is not the same as sexual assault. That's the issue here. I'm sure what you are talking about was plenty traumatic.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:37 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
So you lost a bar fight? And you think that lets you understand the mindset of a woman who's been forced (or the attempt was seriously made), against their will into the most intimate act we can perform as humans? Wow!

I'm not talking about a bar fight and arguments. I'm talking about being physically attacked or assaulted by older, bigger bullies for no fault of your own and having to fight them off and prevent them from beating you to a pulp. Plenty of people want to have sex even with a person they're on the fence about, but few seek out having to fight off a physical assault.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They could have the trial 5 minutes after the rape happened, and still not be able to prove or disprove what happened. Time doesn't change that. Any sexual assualt can turn into a he says/she says because typically there isn't any witnesses to what happened. She says it was rape... He says it was consensual... Unless she was also phsyically assualted there isn't a whole lot of proof no matter when it took place.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Plenty of people want to have sex even with a person they're on the fence about, but few seek out having to fight off a physical assault.
What is that even supposed to mean? Do you think rape victims were just "on the fence" as to whether to have sex with their rapist?!

Old 09-28-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The point is that making a false accusation a harsh crime would limit the false accusations..... I think it is fairly easy to prove a false accusation. People lie about crimes every day and somehow the investigation still discovers it.

I've known a couple rape victims.... many are incapable of even discussing it after many years... and many let it define them. Example, many boys abused by the priests only come out when they are adults and usually have emotional and mental issues they live with for the rest of their lives.

and

No... its not like getting into a fight. You remember that you lost and got your rear handed to you.... but it doesn't define you and affect you like a rape does. Your ego and wounds (hopefully) will heal with time.
As I said in my first comment on this thread, just above yours, I know. I've seen what it has done to my sister.

I still stand by what I said that we need a statute of limitations. Coming out 20, 30, 40 years later, it's not "easy to prove", it's almost impossible to prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies