Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 04:24 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Trump supporters hate college. Makes sense.

Explains why over 82% of voters in '16 with no high school diploma went for Trump.

The Uneducated went for Trump. big.

"The Uneducated went for Trump. big"

Do you mean all the 10s of millions of people living on welfare and food stamps in the inner cities and urban areas who usually vote DEM?

THOSE Uneducated?

"High School Dropout Rates For Minority And Poor Students Disproportionately High"

"more disturbing discovery is that there were about 3 million 16- to 24-year-olds in October 2009 who were neither enrolled in high school nor had earned a high school diploma or alternative degree. These dropouts accounted for 8.1 percent of the 38 million U.S. noninstitutionalized and civilians in that age group not in high school and without a high school credential. Minority students dropped out at disproportionately higher rates than their White counterparts — In 2009, 4.8 percent of of blacks and 5.8 percent of Hispanics between 15 and 24 dropped out of grades 10-12, compared with 2.4 percent for white students."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...n_1022221.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 04:57 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't hate education. I wish the colleges and universities, especially the liberal arts and humanities, actually HAD some. And even a few honest liberals are saying the same thing.
Yep. Prime example, newly-elected Representative Ocasio-Cortez, who has a BA degree in Economics:

"Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs."

She graduated c*u*m laude (with honors) from Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Economics, and she's a complete idiot on one of the very basics.

(Stars inserted to include the latin phrase in the post.)

Old 11-24-2018, 08:24 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Old 11-24-2018, 09:05 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Yea you are right. Remember not to send your kids to college. (Less future competition for me, more future money for me)

Plus we need enough people to keep the service and retail industries humming along.

Could not rep you.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:08 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
My kids went to Catholic Universities but even so I had to deprogram them to a certain extent. The youngest graduated 3 years ago and still I have to talk sense to him.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:32 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Lack of educational curiosity and ignorance have reached our White House and surely this must give most Americans pause ( we will save greed and meanness for another day). Where does the ignorance originate? Why has it become so pervasive and a badge of honor among Trump supporters on this thread?

Can the U.S. have a meaningful place in the world and thrive and prosper as a nation without higher education? Without even basic civics and the humanities along with science and technology where would we be? To those who want to keep the citizenry of the U.S. in the dark, I ask why? That is MAGA? Please!

Can the U.S. have meaningful elections if its citizens have a paucity of civic knowledge and history that might allow them to make informed decisions? Guess not...look where we are...keep us dumb and full of conspiracy theories.

Almost 200 years ago James Madison wrote: “A government without information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy, or perhaps both. Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

The title of this thread indicates that the OP and others think education and knowledge are not necessary. They appear to be advocating that the American people eschew college, and the results are evident in the cracks appearing in the country’s democracy.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:45 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Not just colleges, even some college related website are super liberal too. It makes me barf when one parent immediately blamed the wild fire in California from global warming, then immediately the same parent started another thread on what to do to minimize the impact to global warming. How about making sure PG&E and Southern California Edison maintaining their equipment properly? That’s too obvious and not political left leaning enough. I worry about these young students sometime.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:02 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Yes, you provided one set of data in which the top ten countries across the three categories, with the exception of Canada and Singapore, are homogeneous countries. You think Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Slovenia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Finland, Estonia are heterogeneous countries?

For reasons only you can explain, you also choose to list the UK and Australia. Neither of which ranks in the top 10 in any of the categories and neither of which is particularly heterogeneous.
I'm a quite aware that Asian and Eastern European countries are not diverse by our standards, but if you think Australia and the UK are homogeneous countries, I can only assume you've never been to either one. No, they're not among the top 10 in any category, but they're still more highly ranked than the US.

Quote:
yes, you provided one set of data in which the top ten arguing several times that we have a poor educational system in the States, you jumped in and implied I was arguing that our system is better than the others you mentioned. Like many other people, you think you're two steps ahead when you're, in fact, five steps behind. Instead of acknowledging that you misstated what I had argued, you double down and proceed downward even further. That is "rude" behavior.
I implied no such thing. I thought no such thing. So it appears that you are the one "five steps behind." I merely disagreed with your premise that only "homogeneous" countries could have better systems, and THAT is what I adressed in my posts.

Quote:
so, you start out in an obnoxious fashion and then when given a very mild rebuke, you now play the victim and try a passive-aggressive emoticon capper for your reply. Then (chuckling) you complain about my overuse of emoticons when I returned your passive-aggressiveness on you. Uh, ma'am, the use of emoticons, period, is "juvenile."
I began in this thread by asking questions and giving my take on conservatism in the US compared to conservatism in other Western countries and said that living in another advanced country would be very educational for some on here, which is true. Funny that my candor is "obnoxious," while yours is in the spirit of free discourse. You called me "love" and "sugar."You might as well have said, "Bless your heart," because your passive-aggression was as clear as day. My happy face icon was to convey that I, nonetheless, remained cordial.

Quote:
I've been on the World Wide Web/Internet for nearly 25 years now. Here's an observation I've relayed several times in several different forums when someone has sounded the same notes as you. Most women will be unhappy on Internet forums. Unsurprisingly, forums are overwhelmingly populated by men. Women tend to react much more negatively to criticism and to teasing. Over those 25 years, I've been called every name in the book, have been threatened and have even had a convicted stalker and genuine nutbag tell me he was going to sue me. It comes with the territory and at no point over all those years have I ever "told on somebody" or thought to ask someone else to take care of some anonymous person who said a mean thing. I'm an adult. Adults don't do that, or at least they're not supposed to act like that. You deal with it. Contrast that with your reaction and the reactions of other women like yourself, who are fond of having "moderators"...school marms... in places like this to police all those mean men who say something that happens to hurt your feelings. And, God forbid if a thread about one subject should slightly deviate, in the way normal conversations do, to a tangentially-related issue. In other words, the effect of people like you is to make the conversations here duller, less interesting and dictated on your terms. What a shock.

My advice to women who have complained about meanness on the Internet is that Internet forums are probably not for them. They won't be happy in them. People will write things they find to be mean or offensive or just simply contrary to what they would prefer others to think. Others will criticize their opinions and they will probably take these criticisms, even criticisms strictly of their ideas, as personal criticisms. That's how women tend to react to criticism, in general. (I have even listened to feminists acknowledge this and then speculate on how we can change women so they don't react this way.) Many times, they won't be able to police that. Odds are, most of them would be happier just avoiding forums, even forums with minders like these on City-Data.
Wow. I hope you feel better now. Two paragraphs full of angry, hostile ranting and personal attacks against a stranger online and women in general. Yet you suggest that *I* am overly sensitive.

Having grown up in a European immigrant home where the extended family discussed every subject possible at the dinner table, including religion, politics, and sex, being easily offended is not in my DNA. I COULD let my tongue fly on here, but I choose not to. Why? Because, a) I've received infractions for far less (men are just as likely to go running to the mods), and b) I choose to show restraint.

I doubt you'd be as aggressive with a male poster, and it's clear you've taken very personally my (rightly) calling you out for condescendingly calling me love and sugar. You simply don't like being questioned by a woman.

There's a big difference between interesting, open conversation, and incivility. Unfortunately, many Americans equate strength with rudeness, which is probably why we have the loud-mouthed, uncouth POTUS we have. Trump "tells it like it is" and anyone who doesn't like his "honesty" is a "snowflake." The rest of the advanced world watches, appalled.

Frankly, we have the president we deserve. We have the society we deserve. We have the student behavior we deserve. And we have the education system we deserve.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-24-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 11-24-2018, 08:20 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. Prime example, newly-elected Representative Ocasio-Cortez, who has a BA degree in Economics:

"Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs."

She graduated c*u*m laude (with honors) from Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Economics, and she's a complete idiot on one of the very basics.

(Stars inserted to include the latin phrase in the post.)
In my humble opinion, Academia churns out idiots, shills and apologists for the Powers That Be. First, eCONomics is a dismal science, using a variable (money) as their unit of measure. Second, by apologizing for usury, the abomination, which is not only proscribed for 3500+ years, but is mathematically unsustainable in a finite money token system. Due to the exponential equation for compound interest, an infinite money supply is necessary - an impossibility. Third, all the bafflegab, convoluted explanations and theories are a smokescreen for diabolical evil that money madness has wrought over the millennia.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12773.htm
Q: How much U.S. currency is in circulation?
A: There was approximately $1.69 trillion in circulation as of September 26, 2018, of which $1.64 trillion was in Federal Reserve notes. (Dollar bills)

1.64 T divided by 327 million Americans = $5,015.29 per capita
(Where is the "too much money chasing too few goods" that is causing INFLATION?)
- - -
https://www.outerplaces.com/science/...h-mars-jupiter
● The asteroid Psyche 16 is a very special space rock: it's almost entirely made of metal, including iron, nickel, and gold, which has led astronomers to believe that it was originally the core of a planet. It's also estimated to be worth around $700 quintillion—enough to give each of the 7.6 billion people on Earth about $92 billion each.

Except that the money does not exist.
Congress can’t ‘create money’ (bullion) and neither can we.
Can you say M O N E Y - M A D N E S S ?

Thank you, eCONomists, may we have another?

If Amancio Ortega, Carlos Slim Helu, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and a consortium of Terrestrial billionaires walked into the offices of the largest bank on the planet, and asked for a loan of 30 trillion dollar bills with which to fund mining asteroids worth 300 times that value and were more than willing to pay 15% interest, the bank would have to decline their business.
The.Money.Does.Not.Exist.

(FYI: To authorize issuing 30 trillion dollar bills under Title 12 USC Sec. 411, CONgress would need to have a 30 trillion dollar deficit. Insane, yes. But you cannot object, pursuant to clause 4, 14th amendment, USCON.)

Old 11-24-2018, 11:08 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The Uneducated went for Trump. big"

Do you mean all the 10s of millions of people living on welfare and food stamps in the inner cities and urban areas who usually vote DEM?

THOSE Uneducated?

"High School Dropout Rates For Minority And Poor Students Disproportionately High"

"more disturbing discovery is that there were about 3 million 16- to 24-year-olds in October 2009 who were neither enrolled in high school nor had earned a high school diploma or alternative degree. These dropouts accounted for 8.1 percent of the 38 million U.S. noninstitutionalized and civilians in that age group not in high school and without a high school credential. Minority students dropped out at disproportionately higher rates than their White counterparts — In 2009, 4.8 percent of of blacks and 5.8 percent of Hispanics between 15 and 24 dropped out of grades 10-12, compared with 2.4 percent for white students."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...n_1022221.html
Yup.... many trump voters went for policies that would directly farm them. Kinda crazy what having no education will do to you at the ballot box... aka race is still a powerful motivating factor for some, and trump played those folks like a fiddle.

It wasn't about the economy for many, considering trump inherited a pretty damn good economy, considering wtf gwb handed Obama:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...upport/558674/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies