Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 10:08 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. It's exactly the same reason why I can legally drive a vehicle in Massachusetts even though my driver's license was issued by another state, why my IL birth certificate has been accepted for any number of things in various other different US states in which I've been a legal resident, etc.

US Constitution, Article IV:

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State."

While you are able to keep your IL driver's license if you live in Massachusetts as a non-resident, say as a student or on military assignment, this is not the same for guns.

Even as a non-resident, you are required to obtain a permit for your firearms. The only exception is if you are hunting, attending an exhibition of firearm collectors, or a shooting competition.

Massachusetts does not honor any other state permits. 0

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...etts-gun-laws/

BTW, only 24 states honor Massachusetts permits. Illinois is not one of them.

P.S Your IL birth certificate example is ridiculous. Of course, you can use your IL birth certificate. If you were born in Illinois, Massachusetts can't issue a certificate saying you were born in Massachusetts.

Some times I wonder about you.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 12-04-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
I'm thinking that local MA authorities actually know better. Note that the student in question has not been arrested for having a firearm in MA. .
That's hilarious. I just spit out my coffee laughing. I needed that

Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
While you are able to keep your IL driver's license if you live in Massachusetts as a non-resident, say as a student or on military assignment, this is not the same for registering guns.
It's exactly the same. I can drive my out-of-state registered vehicle in MA as much as I please. Why? US Constitution, Article IV:

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State."

Old 12-04-2018, 10:19 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Quote:
It's exactly the same. I can drive my out-of-state registered vehicle in MA as much as I please. Why? US Constitution, Article IV:

Stop it. Just stop it, I say.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Oh, if only.

Some act as if any old nonsense they post is the gospel truth.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Why? Are you afraid someone would exercise their Constitutional Rights? Are you afraid that that the US Constitution's Article IV might actually have to be observed? Or were you just making a point via sarcasm?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oh, if only.

Some act as if any old nonsense they post is the gospel truth.
The US Constitution's Article IV is not "nonsense," no matter how much you wish it didn't exist.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:45 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,324,092 times
So if you have a CCW Permit in one state, every single state in the Union MUST honor that permit under the Full Faith and Credit Law???? lol Try it and see what happens.

I was very surprised to learn when I moved permanently to Florida that the state did not recognize a NJ driver's license when applying for a new resident Florida driver's license. Really???? Yep. Take all your tests all over again? Fortunately, Florida did recognize NYS's.

Do you seriously think gun laws would be all encompassing from State to State? Each state has different laws.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Did it state that the guns did not have a locking mechanism? Mass law only require a locking mechanism or locked storage
There sure appeared to be several guns that were accessible ... loaded ... without locks. Not only were the guns apparently found in that condition, the roommates wrote that Pirnie told them she "kept" the guns "unloaded and unlocked."

The roommate memo (which was a request for assistance to the landlord written before this became public) stated Pirnie agreed after the house meeting to both use a trigger lock and a gun safe or other appropriate container. That goes beyond Massachusetts law, which as you point out only requires one of the two. Never were the roommates comfortable with the situation but that was the "compromise."

I'm assuming that gun owners need not specify reasons for owning guns in any Massachusetts (permit) but maybe they do. Me, I'd sure be uncomfortable with why Pirnie publicly said she had them:
Quote:
“Nobody has bothered to question, ‘Well, why do you want to have protection? Could it be because you've experienced something where you need to protect yourself as you see fit?'” she said, noting that she was in a physically abusive relationship in the past. “I have a real and legitimate reason as to why I want to protect myself.”
One mixture that cops hate encountering is domestic disturbance plus guns. It can be lethal. No way would I want my daughter to be living where there was some possibility that could play out depending on Pirnie's judgement.

We don't know what prompted the initial roommate search. I tend to believe Pirnie that it did occur; the roommates don't mention the discovery itself. Per Pirnie, various roommates later came up with "excuses" as if it were accidental. For all we know, she may well have discussed dating situations with her roommates and how she would want to handle another abusive situation leading her roommates to wonder if she actually had guns.

Regardless, the roommates now know how she might use them ... the landlord concluded the situation is too volatile, even to where he offered to mediate the final split ... she's gone public ... this is over with the gun safe and any MA permitting appearing on the scene way too late.

They need only finalize the divorce.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Quote:
Why? Are you afraid someone would exercise their Constitutional Rights? Are you afraid that that the US Constitution's Article IV might actually have to be observed? Or were you just making a point via sarcasm?
No, I'm afraid the message might get lost through interminable repetition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies