Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 12:44 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 12:52 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. Just the same as they honor out-of-state birth certificates, driver's licenses, registered cars, etc., via Article IV of the US Constitution. Note that there is no carve-out that excludes firearms, not to mention the fact that vehicles are many times more deadly than firearms.
Not when they're used as intended with some semblance of skill, they're not. You're really stepping into quicksand with that argument.

What's sad here is that this has degenerated into the most boring and pointless of legal pissing matches. Much more pertinent to talk about a common sense solution for cases like this. Far more important than what is legal is what is fair and sensible here.

For every one of you who would fight in court for your right to keep guns in this apartment against the strong objections of roommates, there are 10 or more who absolutely will not have guns under the same roof in which they live, for damn good reason.

Why must everything be a court battle today? People used to work a lot of things out between themselves. Not everything, but most things. A lot more things than are worked out that way today.

The roommates were wrong to invade her privacy - especially if the motivation was an irrational reaction to a MAGA hat. But, having found the gun(s), they stand on the most firm and rational ground that has ever existed to want them out of their house. Immediately....no ifs, ands, or buts.

You may win a few battles of this nature, should you opt for a court date rather than making an effort to work out a solution acceptable to your roommates. But you have zero chance of winning the war....and each little battle won only increases that certainty.

People have had it with gun proliferation. And, when I say people, I'm including some of the staunchest conservatives around, like myself. It's long past time for gun people to find a more productive use for their time than chasing their tails.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:17 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think she's a new resident?
She started Harvard in September as a grad student after graduating from Alabama in 2017. She moved into the house in September of this year.
Quote:
While at the University of Alabama, Pirnie was the social chair of the Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women and the Director of Public Relations for the International Students Association. Pirnie also said on her LinkedIn page that she is a senior director of Ropir International S.A., a package delivery company based in Doral, Florida. A separate online profile shows that Pirnie lived in Paris, France, for a time.
She lived in Tuirkey for 12 years of her life and graduated from Fairhope High School in 2009. A Google search tells me there is a Fairhope High School in Fairhope, Alabama. I think it is safe to assume she was a new resident of Massachusetts. It's amazing what you can find by following links throughout the thread as well as doing a little searching elsewhere. It's not clear from these links where she lived from 2017 after graduating from Bama until staring at Harvard. This maybe when she lived in Florida as it seems likely after graduating is when she worked in Doral.

Of course, if by chance she moved to Massachusetts before moving into the house, that means she had no intention of getting her certification within 60 days in her new state.

SOURCE -- https://heavy.com/news/2018/12/leyla-pirnie/

Old 12-04-2018, 02:06 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
She started Harvard in September as a grad student after graduating from Alabama in 2017. She moved into the house in September of this year.

She lived in Tuirkey for 12 years of her life and graduated from Fairhope High School in 2009. A Google search tells me there is a Fairhope High School in Fairhope, Alabama. I think it is safe to assume she was a new resident of Massachusetts.
You'd be surprised the number of new residents that come into MA and are ignorant of the firearms laws here and just assume they are the same everywhere. Can get you in some serious hot water in this state with what would be perfectly legal in the three states to our north. Felony in one state...and no big deal in NH/VT or ME. The storage and transport laws here simply don't exist in many other states. When you have such a wide range of laws and regulations across 50 states, these sort of blunders happen quite frequently.

NYC usually has this happen almost monthly at various tourist attractions. People just think they are safe to travel to other states based on what they understand is legal in theirs.

https://nypost.com/2013/09/23/touris...th-gun-at-wtc/

Gun culture in MA is pretty much suppressed/shunned. You simply don't admit you own firearms to strangers. Doesn't surprise me what happened, but I've seen the same thing happen over pets in an apartment. If you move to MA and want to own firearms, keep it to yourself. If you want to put a MAGA hat on, definitely don't do it in Somerville which is vying to become the nex Cambridge.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 12-04-2018 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Correct, no grace period. The law exempts new residents for 60 days from having a permit. In that time they have to comply with all laws regarding storage. If she wanted to possess them unlocked, she should have applied for an out of state resident permit before moving to MA.

Then she should have had the out of state resident permit before she came to MA.

States have the right to pass laws regarding gun ownership and possession as long as the 2nd amendment isn't blocked.

"Correct, no grace period. The law exempts new residents for 60 days from having a permit. In that time they have to comply with all laws regarding storage. If she wanted to possess them unlocked, she should have applied for an out of state resident permit before moving to MA."

"The RIGHT of the people to KEEP and bear arms shall NOT be infringed"

Looks like a lot of infringement to me.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
o.p. is somerville.

theres evidence but no proof. allston christmas in boston is september 1st.

thats not a criminal violation so the cops cant arrest. civil court is different from criminal court.

off campus (it has nothing to do with harvard).

i think guns are permitted in massachusettes.

this has nothing to do with government. the roomates dont like guns (or m.a.g.a. hats, or dogs, or cigarette smoke, or blue shoes, ...) and the private home owner asked her to move out. gun owners are not a protected class of the 1968 fair housing civil rights act.

"he only requirement is she properly stores them (unloaded)"

What good does an UNLOADED gun do?

Old 12-04-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Unfortunately you'll have to argue that fact after you've been arrested and charged with possession of a firearm without a license and possession of ammunition without a license.

Not saying I don't agree with the point you are trying to make, but unfortunately MA doesn't see it that way. Just possessing one spent shell casing here in MA without a MA LTC is a chargeable offense.

"and charged with possession of a firearm without a license and possession of ammunition without a license.

State laws CANNOT override the Constitution. 2nd amendment, "the RIGHT of the people to KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED".

Uless you want states to redefine "infringed"!

Old 12-04-2018, 02:48 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
http://flip.it/1_RYPZ

how do y'all feel about this ? i think gun owners are not a protected class so its the owners will to legally discriminate.

the roomates are obvious a-holes for rumaging thru her stuff while she was away.

this no different than my cousins who evicted a couple from his 3-family in somerville because they had a dog.

It seems all we do is cater to the delicate little snowflakes. Notice how it's the person obeying the law, that is being punished, and not the snowflakes who oppose the law.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:15 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Not when they're used as intended with some semblance of skill, they're not. You're really stepping into quicksand with that argument.

What's sad here is that this has degenerated into the most boring and pointless of legal pissing matches. Much more pertinent to talk about a common sense solution for cases like this. Far more important than what is legal is what is fair and sensible here.

For every one of you who would fight in court for your right to keep guns in this apartment against the strong objections of roommates, there are 10 or more who absolutely will not have guns under the same roof in which they live, for damn good reason.

Why must everything be a court battle today? People used to work a lot of things out between themselves. Not everything, but most things. A lot more things than are worked out that way today.

The roommates were wrong to invade her privacy - especially if the motivation was an irrational reaction to a MAGA hat. But, having found the gun(s), they stand on the most firm and rational ground that has ever existed to want them out of their house. Immediately....no ifs, ands, or buts.

You may win a few battles of this nature, should you opt for a court date rather than making an effort to work out a solution acceptable to your roommates. But you have zero chance of winning the war....and each little battle won only increases that certainty.

People have had it with gun proliferation. And, when I say people, I'm including some of the staunchest conservatives around, like myself. It's long past time for gun people to find a more productive use for their time than chasing their tails.
Like most of the reasonable posts to this thread, this one will probably be largely ignored.

In the first place, this is the kind of thing that should have been discussed before these young women decided to share a home, right along with ground rules about smoking, parties, overnight guests, pets, who handles the utilities, and whether or not food will be shared.

Since that did not happen, it comes down to a matter of who should move, as it's hard to imagine this relationship being salvaged. The fact is (and I speak in terms of practicality, not legality), it's probably going to be easier for the girl with the guns to find someone who needs one roommate than to find six others to share that apartment should the other girls leave. The six may be able to cover the rent short a roommate. It would be much harder for a lone tenant to replace six roommates, and probably almost impossible for her to cover the rent on her own.

I don't really understand why this has become a gun rights debate. It isn't. It's an object lesson in how not to choose a roommate. People do have a right to own guns. People who do not want to live with guns have a right to a gun-free home. People who cannot reach any kind of agreement about the matter should not attempt to live together. People who are considering living together should be honest about their habits and expectations.

That is all.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Notice how it's the person obeying the law, that is being punished, and not the snowflakes who oppose the law.
There is literally 25 pages of thread about her not obeying the law in regards to storing the guns and th link in the OP makes it clear the roommates wanted her to store them properly and would be OK with that. But it's more fun to thump your chest and proclaim they are "snowflakes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies