Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 AM

24,450 posts, read 23,124,128 times

Advertisements

If a roommate had an Antifa poster or literature, they'd find themselves and their stuff tossed out in the street. But if they don't want a gun owner sharing their space, I guess that's also fair to ask them to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 08:11 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,588,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Cambridge is expensive. A 1bedroom/1 bath tiny shoebox (not some luxury apartment) there goes somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,400.
o.p. is somerville.
Quote:
By Massachusetts law, she has 60 days to apply after she brings her firearms inside the state. The only requirement is she properly stores them (unloaded, in a safe). I guess she might have been in violation of the latter if her roommates discovered it, but there is no evidence she was in violation of the former.

How you can claim she was in violation of law in regards to the permits is beyond me. Do you have access to information no one else does? What entitles you to make assertions when you have no idea what you're talking about?
theres evidence but no proof. allston christmas in boston is september 1st.
Quote:
Well under this definition, she could easily use 2) since the roommates disclosed a private fact (her gun ownership) to other parties. This was not very hard, at all, but I'm sure with a good lawyer, she could find ways on definition 1), and 3) as well.
thats not a criminal violation so the cops cant arrest. civil court is different from criminal court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"the roomates are obvious a-holes for rumaging thru her stuff while she was away."

I agree with this.

Too may pop up ads to read the story.

Was she living OFF campus or on ?

What are the rules about guns.

Are her 2nd amendment rights violated?
off campus (it has nothing to do with harvard).

i think guns are permitted in massachusettes.

this has nothing to do with government. the roomates dont like guns (or m.a.g.a. hats, or dogs, or cigarette smoke, or blue shoes, ...) and the private home owner asked her to move out. gun owners are not a protected class of the 1968 fair housing civil rights act.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 12-04-2018 at 08:52 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 09:39 AM

89,255 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Then she should have had the out of state resident permit before she came to MA.
Either she does, or some states don't require such. Regardless, Massachusetts is obligated to recognize her status as a legal gun owner and her right to open or conceal carry as her residency state allows. Why? The US Constitution's Full Faith and Credit Clause, Article IV.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 AM

51,661 posts, read 25,900,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Either she does, or some states don't require such. Regardless, Massachusetts is obligated to recognize her status as a legal gun owner and her right to open or conceal carry as her residency state allows. Why? The US Constitution's Full Faith and Credit Clause, Article IV.
You have been misinformed.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You have been misinformed.
Nope. It's exactly the same reason why I can legally drive a vehicle in Massachusetts even though my driver's license was issued by another state, why my IL birth certificate has been accepted for any number of things in various other different US states in which I've been a legal resident, etc.

US Constitution, Article IV:

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State."

Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 AM

15,812 posts, read 20,582,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. It's exactly the same reason why I can legally drive a vehicle in Massachusetts even though my driver's license was issued by another state, why my IL birth certificate has been accepted for any number of things in various other different US states in which I've been a legal resident, etc.

US Constitution, Article IV:

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State."
Unfortunately you'll have to argue that fact after you've been arrested and charged with possession of a firearm without a license and possession of ammunition without a license.

Not saying I don't agree with the point you are trying to make, but unfortunately MA doesn't see it that way. Just possessing one spent shell casing here in MA without a MA LTC is a chargeable offense.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Oh, and here's a good one for you, GHQAIC... I got married in IL. According to your uninformed opinion, that would mean I'm not married in any of the other 49 states. Are you on board with that?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:00 AM

10,038 posts, read 9,526,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That is correct but in MA you are not allowed to posses firearms without a MA issued permit or a temporary permit for out of state residents. IMHO, she had the weapons in her room stored improperly. When SHTF, she went out and started the application process and bought a safe/locks.
Where does it state anywhere that she just started the application process after the discovery. The articles state the police officer said she has an appointment for an interview on December 11 as part of the application process. No where does it state she just started the application process after the discovery. Also, where does it state she did not have a locking device on her guns when first discovered.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:03 AM

10,038 posts, read 9,526,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
By the time the police got involved, she apparently had them stored properly. Not so much when the roommates found them. Seems pretty easy to discern to me.
Did it state that the guns did not have a locking mechanism? Mass law only require a locking mechanism or locked storage

Old 12-04-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Unfortunately you'll have to argue that fact after you've been arrested and charged with possession of a firearm without a license and possession of ammunition without a license.

Not saying I don't agree with the point you are trying to make, but unfortunately MA doesn't see it that way
I'm thinking that local MA authorities actually know better. Note that the student in question has not been arrested for having a firearm in MA.

Think carefully about that... They don't want to trigger an attention-grabbing SCOTUS case that would surely be brought on Article IV grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies