Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 12:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, I think he should have been comped at least a meal in the hotel's facilities. There is no excuse for treating him that way.
Yeah right. They want to talk to him, and he refuses. They would offer him a lot more than a meal. He wants a PAYDAY.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:32 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'm lightly pigmented, and I don't care about crime rates. I don't see color, only different shades of pigment. To me, it's the person that counts. You trying to force me to be a racist doesn't make me a racist. In fact, I hardly ever in my personal life have encounters that could be measured by race. I mean, I go to Walmart, and buy my goods, I go to the gas station and buy my gas, and I live my life just going about my day. In my professional life, I am bound by law to not discriminate against anyone for any reason and I live by those laws. I'm sure that most of my friends live the same way I do... go to work, go to Walmart to buy stuff, spend the weekends with their kids etc...

It's only an issue to those who care to make it an issue, which in my opinion is a very small amount of folks in America.

The rest of us are just normal folks living normal lives raising normal kids and buying normal stuff, regardless of our shade of pigment.
No child is born a bigot - it is always taught. I'm forever grateful to my parents (who failed in many ways) that I was never taught bigotry. Bigotry scars the soul.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes, racism robs people of their dignity. Its a mugging. However, I do not KNOW that the security guard was motivated by race. I don't want to have to constantly prove that I belong somewhere.....as a black person. I have a problem with that, as a black person, whether you as a white person has a problem with it or not. Its an affront to my liberty and dignity, especially when you try to back it with police action.
That is insane. So now, no business can make sure anymore that people utilizing it are customers because of your personal issues with that.

Hotel lobbies in bad areas could fill up with people and no guests could even get through and no one could do anything about it lest a black person gets offended by it.

I truly do know what you are saying, as applied to places where anyone is allowed to be. I saw that video where a black man was walking with his hands in his pockets. Walking down the damn road, not doing anything suspicious.

He filmed the encounter with the officer who was called to this DUMB task - he asked why are your hands in your pockets? The guy was like it's 20 degrees, that is why. And I liked the way he politely but firmly refused to answer where he was going. He said I am walking. That is not a crime. I do not need anyone's permission to walk.

The officer was like I couldn't agree with you more. I have to come when someone calls, I am sorry. The black man was irritated AF, but he soon realized his irritation was with the anonymous caller, not the police officer.

BUT that is NOT the same thing as being in a business.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:43 PM

2,828 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, I think he should have been comped at least a meal in the hotel's facilities. There is no excuse for treating him that way.
I see, but it was OK he acted like a complete idiot?

Old 12-31-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We wanted him to know his place.
Oh please. He wanted to do his job. Why have a guard if they don't make sure everyone hanging around is a guest.

Massey came in from the street, plopped in a chair in the lobby, and started talking on the phone. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He was a guest. He knew he was a guest. He knew he was entitled to use the lobby. The guard did not know, he didn't just come from his room or anything for the guard TO know. It's his job to find out. This is not rocket science.

If he was out to harass black people, why didn't he harass the other black people there? Even Massey said why aren't you asking everyone for their room numbers? Because they were walking to and fro. Had another person come in from the street and plopped down, Massey might have witnessed them being asked too.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:52 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Arguments here often come down to "Me" or "I" but that is irrelevant. "This happened to me once........."

You can argue all day that you do not see color and I have no reason to doubt that but the police officer that pulled over Philando Castile because he had a "wide set nose" was seeing color.
You mean Jeronimo Yanez? And what shade of white are you painting him to fit the race agenda? Darkly tanned or lightly black?

Police policy on why to stop certain people is not something I deal with in my job. My job by law doesn't allow me to discriminate people for any reasons. There are laws preventing me from doing so, and if I don't abide by those laws, I can face civil and criminal punishment.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:56 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'd have to disagree, at least in terms of whether the exact same incident would even happen if that person were white, and not black. I'd say over half of these incidents would never have occurred in the first place if they were not black.
I see what you are saying, and our individual experiences are certainly anecdotal. However many times when I read or see examples of XYZ, I remember being in the same situations, and being treated the same despite me being white.
I'd also point out that this notion that black parents need to have the talk with their sons (regarding police) is unique to them is a crock. My parents along with most of my white friends all had the talk, which is of course just good parenting and common sense. As all boys start to turn into men, we are hotblooded and don't like being told what to do.
So every parent (including green ones) is well served to try and keep their kids not getting arrested or worse, by being a smart mouth toward authority figures, especially those that carry weapons.

Also, I treat all suspicious looking characters the same, regardless of their color. A stranger walking/cruising in my neighborhood, especially at night, get the same long look and is potentially followed. I wouldn't doubt a black person might assume it is because of the race, but that is because of their own shortcoming, not mine.

To think according to you that 51% off all incidents involving minorities, particularly black people involve racial bias, seems like an insanely high number.

`

Old 12-31-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
As Indentured Servant stated, this is a perfect example of hypersensitivity that he says white people should have expectations of.

What he's not quite understanding is that the consequence for this is complete avoidance. You can't advocate for hypersensitivity and then in the next breath wonder why black employment rate is down or why people who aren't black may not be in a hurry to engage with you, or why people roll their eyes and stop listening at the next 'I'm offended' narrative. Actions have consequences for everyone, not just white folks.

Hypersensitivity on the part of one side leads to apathy on the other.
Bingo.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:58 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
No child is born a bigot - it is always taught. I'm forever grateful to my parents (who failed in many ways) that I was never taught bigotry. Bigotry scars the soul.
I grew up in a racists household in the deep south. My family passed down the wills and testaments to my ancestors who owned (lovingly I might add) slaves. My grandmother hit a man with her car by accident and she offered to take him to the hospital, she made him ride on the hood because of his skin color. My dad was clearly ignorant and a racist (from Michigan I might add) and if anyone was raised to be a racist, it would be me.

I wouldn't say my soul is scarred. I just don't care to live a lifestyle of hatred and bigotry.

Ask any reformed hater of any hate group and they'll tell you the reason they don't hate anymore is because they actually got to meet the people they hated and learned that they are human beings and have feelings just like the hater does.

The goal here is to stop polarizing yourselves, get out and speak to your neighbors, get active in your communities and social gatherings and speak to people you have an ignorance or hatred towards. You'll find them to be just like you in most ways and interestingly odd in other ways. But you will learn to not hate them after a while....

Isolation of viewpoints creates fear and doubt and eventually avoidance and hate. Community creates love and charity and acceptance.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
You mean Jeronimo Yanez? And what shade of white are you painting him to fit the race agenda? Darkly tanned or lightly black?
I know who did this. It doesn't change the fact that he was seeing color. It can even be a flaw of people of color.

Quote:
Police policy on why to stop certain people is not something I deal with in my job. My job by law doesn't allow me to discriminate people for any reasons. There are laws preventing me from doing so, and if I don't abide by those laws, I can face civil and criminal punishment.
I addressed that already. I don't really care what you say you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies