Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 08:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
No but if a suspect has on blue jeans and a straw hat, and someone matches that description, you, being a good cop would stop him/her yes? What if he had a unusually large nose? Or a tattoo?
Not relevant. What if the suspect is a big man and you stop and harrass a small young girl as happened in the article? (That actually happened)

Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh lordy - this is what the article states, which is what I have stated as well:
I do not care what you discussed "as well". You said it was his hobby and you were asked to provide verification. Did you just make that up?

Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I don't need to read anymore! This man, while irritated, was not a threat to a level of bringing in an officer with SWAT gear. This was overzealous conduct by both the hotel and cop! There is no way around this!

The double-down mentality of a lot of employees are gonna hurt a lot of businesses in the long run. Note that the hotel fired the two, in question, regardless of any "series of events!"
They sacked the two guys so they look like socially observant employers, and hopefully save a big payout......... SWAT team huh? Did they have a dog as well?

Old 01-01-2019, 09:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Apparently not.

I’m sure it’s because he was on the phone or wore sneakers in a loafers only zone.

https://www.kgw.com/mobile/article/n...6-bf6c5a449c0a
Come on now. Wasn’t all that long ago, the black man/ woman/ family would not have been allowed to stay in a “ whites only” hotel in some states.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:08 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
They sacked the two guys so they look like socially observant employers, and hopefully save a big payout......... SWAT team huh? Did they have a dog as well?
I'm sure DoubleTree's West Coast manager, if not CEO, is in big trouble over this.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:10 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
That kind of racism only happens in uber liberal controlled cities, have you noticed?
Some years ago, my former pastor was called the N word three times at a hotel in Louisville, KY. Don't know how "liberal" Louisville is. Don't think it matters.....!

Old 01-01-2019, 09:29 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not relevant. What if the suspect is a big man and you stop and harrass a small young girl as happened in the article? (That actually happened)
The only thing I see in the article is that the cop called in a suspect matching the description of an armed robbery suspect.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearandpresent View Post
I never ceases to amaze me how you liberal will yell racism and blame a whole race for the actions of one or two. If a black man rapes and kills a white woman you call someone racist is they blame blacks or if a couple of blacks are lazy and live off of welfare and someone calls blacks lazy you yell racist but one or two whites do some thing out of line and you love to blame the whole race. You sir are a racist.
I'm not a liberal but I do have common sense. Few posters on c-d blame an entire race for anything. And yes, it's wrong for people of any race or group to denounce an entire group of people for the crimes of a few which is exactly what you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Was he LYNCHED? What was the outcome of the misunderstanding? Were his rights violated? Why is this NEWS?
Translation: A black person has to be lynched in order for a story to be newsworthy. Got that, black folks? Anything short of that and some people don't want to hear about it even if he was profiled, treated poorly, discriminated against, suffered a civil rights violation, etc.

Quote:
I have posted link after link which stated that there is absolutely zero evidence that Massey ever showed his key UNTIL the situation had already escalated and he started videoing. In fact, by all accounts when the security guard asked Massey if he was a guest of the hotel, first of all he said yes, but became irritated, and then when asked what room he was staying in, he said he didn't know, and apparently did not show the guard his key or give him his name at this point - in fact, he was irritated that he was being interrupted and tried to ignore the security guard.
Being irritated isn't a crime. I've stayed in hotels and met people in hotels and never once have I been asked if I was a guest or asked to show my key card. If I'd encountered that, I would have been irritated, as well, and may have declined, stating I'd like a word with upper management. We're talking about the hospitality industry here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon
Massey's self-admitted hobby of videoing instances where he feels that black folks are being mistreated, that Massey was probably intentionally inflammatory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm interested in this. do you have a link?
Quote:
Yes, this is one of many:

Quote:
The Dec. 22 encounter was captured on cellphone video by Massey, who posted it that night on Instagram, where it was shared widely. In other videos, Massey, 34, acknowledges that he has become part of the continuing documentation, through cellphone videos and social media, of black people being confronted by white authority figures or bystanders while going about their everyday lives.
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...as-kicked-out/

I've been accused of "internet stalking" for looking through his social media posts, and yet this is what he does - he WANTS people to look through his copious and very public social media posts so I did.
That doesn't mean he was intentionally inflammatory - it means he's had other encounters like this and is tired of it.

Thank God for video recording on cell phones or we'd all still believe that if someone was shot by a cop it's because he didn't comply.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:58 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We don't know the full train of events here. I understand he was first asked for his room number by the security guard, to prove his right to be in the hotel. He dismissed the guard saying he was busy talking to his mummy on the phone.

He refused to show his room key until the manager arrived. The police had been called by then. The police were told to remove him.
They should have been told nothing was wrong.

Quote:
Now why do you think that is? More happened than what the video shows, and that is pretty obvious.
Nothing not actually seen is "obvious," only speculated.

Quote:
There would be other black guests staying in this hotel. Have we any evidence they were treated in a similar manner? No? Then, something happened with this guest more than we're being told.

I will say again, if he had responded to the security guard in a more appropriate manner, he would have been left alone to continue the conversation with his mummy. He wanted to be awkward, and that led him eventually to being removed from the hotel.
The manager should and could have resolved the situation. Calling the police always looks bad for any business, and should be avoided unless property damage or personal injury appears likely. This is going to show up on a city crime heat map (such as on C-D), it's going to appear in Yelp, it's going to reverberate around forums.

If Hilton has a social media consultant like my daughter, her monitor app is pinging her every time this issue gets a post in a forum somewhere.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:06 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
More, "POOR ME", I'm a victim. Boo Hoo. Get a life, and maybe Virtue Signal about something else for a change. The Whales need you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies