Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 10:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I don't need to read anymore! This man, while irritated, was not a threat to a level of bringing in an officer with SWAT gear. This was overzealous conduct by both the hotel and cop! There is no way around this!

The double-down mentality of a lot of employees is gonna hurt a lot of businesses in the long run. Note that the hotel fired the two, in question, regardless of any "series of events!"
Yes. They did.

It's unfortunate for Doubletree that their manager was unable to handle the situation and allowed the police to be called - complete with an officer in Swat Gear. They ARE in the 'hospitality' business after all.

Two of their employees were fired and this story will continue to make it's way through the news.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:03 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh lordy - this is what the article states, which is what I have stated as well:

YOU are the one who has added words - such as "he acknowledged that he has NOW (you added that word) become part of a discussion around video taped encounters." No. He said that "he has become part of the continuing documentation, through cellphone videos and social media, of black people being confronted by white authority figures or bystanders while going about their everyday lives." Not "just now" and not simply "part of the discussion." He has been videoing and posting on social media such encounters or encounters he thinks fall into that category.

So now he's the star of a video. And gets fifteen minutes of fame, and a payout from Doubletree, Win Win!
I can't find anywhere showing his previous videos.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:05 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The point being overlooked by many is that a person in a hotel LOBBY does not have to actually be a guest in the hotel. Travelers all over the world use hotel lobbies as a meeting point. Access to hotel lobbies is not limited to only hotel guests.
It can be. They do not have to allow anyone/everyone in to just hang out.The security guard said there was a lot of traffic after the concert.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:14 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It can be. They do not have to allow anyone/everyone in to just hang out.The security guard said there was a lot of traffic after the concert.
One wonders if traffic would be regulated after a Barbara Streisand show. That lobby in that video sure looked like there was a lot of "traffic" after the Travis Scott concert.....!

Old 01-01-2019, 12:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They should have been told nothing was wrong.

Nothing not actually seen is "obvious," only speculated.

The manager should and could have resolved the situation. Calling the police always looks bad for any business, and should be avoided unless property damage or personal injury appears likely. This is going to show up on a city crime heat map (such as on C-D), it's going to appear in Yelp, it's going to reverberate around forums.

If Hilton has a social media consultant like my daughter, her monitor app is pinging her every time this issue gets a post in a forum somewhere.
I'd say it depends on the industry and type of business. Bars will get a pass. Other venues in hospitality won't. Which is exactly why I think he wasn't doing anything wrong. In order to protect their reputation, they would have made a statement saying something about it being unfortunate when the actions of a guest requires their removal, but it does happen and remains a private matter between them, the guest, and the police.' They would have covered their behinds by saying they stood by their security personnel who had just cause for calling the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
More, "POOR ME", I'm a victim. Boo Hoo. Get a life, and maybe Virtue Signal about something else for a change. The Whales need you!
Yes, black folks are always wrong in your mind. Trust me - we all get your take on things here.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
The only thing I see in the article is that the cop called in a suspect matching the description of an armed robbery suspect.
Yanez pulled Castile over for a broken taillight on July 6 in Falcon Heights after alerting his police partner in another squad car that Castile resembled one of the suspects in a recent armed robbery in the area due to his “wide-set nose.”

https://www.twincities.com/2017/06/1...-paul-verdict/

Or in other words "he was black".

Old 01-01-2019, 12:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
I can't find anywhere showing his previous videos.
It seems to have been totally made up. One is only left to ask why.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It seems to have been totally made up. One is only left to ask why.
But do we need to ask why?

Old 01-01-2019, 04:06 PM

89,035 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
IF the hotel lobby has limited admission, it would only be accessible via a room key card exactly as are hotel swimming pools, workout rooms, etc. Such was not the case in this particular hotel.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:16 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Yea what was it 2 or 3 in the morning sitting with his feet up wearing a black hoodie on the lobby phone and a cell phone in his pocket, yep sounds like a set up to me. Why in the hell didn't he go to his room and use his cell phone?
That's simple he didn't want to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies