Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 09:02 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,124,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What do you mean by "black agency"?

All of my comments have been politically neutral so not sure where this question is coming from??

Explain better what you're getting at but be warned, whatever answer I give you will just be "crazy" anyway due to my pigmentation.
That Black people have made a rationale decision about how to vote based on their interest and values.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,849,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What do you mean by "black agency"?

All of my comments have been politically neutral so not sure where this question is coming from??

Explain better what you're getting at but be warned, whatever answer I give you will just be "crazy" anyway due to my pigmentation.

LOL - hope that was a joke in regards to the bold, if not sorry you are very sensitive!

Makes me glad I was raised in a family that valued and still values tough conversations and debates about intellectual topics.

You'd be shocked the discussions I have with my brothers about black feminism. We have "heated" debates for hours. I also spoke at length with my grandmothers on this topic as those same women who thought most whites have crazy views in regards to race and what black people experience - they also thought that women in general shouldn't be sportscasters and in regards to embracing a Eurocentric worldview, I had MANY conversations with my great grandmother in particular who spoke to me about how "ugly" black people's hair is in its natural state. She didn't get offended when I told her that her thinking our (my because I had cut off my "relaxed" hair at the time) hair was "ugly" was akin to her ascribing to a Eurocentric worldview of what is and is not considered pretty or beautiful. We had a very interesting discussion about this and she never changed her mind but said she understood where I was coming from.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:06 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Agreed. The only time this stuff even enters my mind is when I come on CD.

When I’m walking around in real life, I’ve got my own stuff to deal with, whether at work or at home with my kids. “How black people are doing”, never enters my consciousness. That goes the same for Chinese or Indians, or any other group that I am not a part of.

You do have a subconscious....you know? That is where most things get stored....even without you consciously thinking about it.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:06 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,605,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Give an example if you would. Why would I have to be a certain sex, race, or religion to understand? As in why would a black person know and not a non black. I'm really interested because I hear "you have to be black to understand", which is just a way to avoid discussion imo.

Easy enough to look at the numbers and make solid generalizations. Granted how one interprets the info is another matter.
I should think my meaning would be very clear. If someone tells me what their experience in live has been like, I believe them. This is true whether they are black or white, male or female. Why? Because I have not walked in their shoes. It's one thing to read statistics and draw conclusions, and another to actually listen, with empathy, to another human being, trying to understand their feelings. So, no...I don't know what it feels like to be racially profiled, particularly to be looked at as a potential (or likely) criminal because of my race and gender. I don't know what it feels like to be a parent, either, or to be an old person. There is no reason why I would, as I have not had those experiences. Why is it so outrageous to say that I don't know what it is like to be black in this country? It is yet another experience I have not had.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
It isn't about the vast majority and to say that, is disingenuous, at best.
Percentage wise children from single parent homes have a much higher rate of criminality. Percentage wise, the prisons have a much larger percentge of those raised by single parents. It's not even close.

The 1987 "Survey of Youth in Custody" found that 70% did not grow up with both parents. Another 1994 study of Wisconsin juveniles was even more stark: only 13% grew up with their married parents. Here's the conclusion of Cynthia Harper and Sara McLanahan, the doyenne of researchers about single parenthood: "[C]ontrolling for income and all other factors, youths in father-absent families (mother only, mother-stepfather, and relatives/other) still had significantly higher odds of incarceration than those from mother-father families."

Through the years, overall crime is down. It would be down significantly more if more children were in 2 parent families.

LOL...what percentage of people from single family homes end up in prison? You can't convince me that single family homes is the problem is less than 5% of people from single parent homes end up in prison. In other words, why don't 95% or more of people from single family homes end up in prison? It's like you are telling me...."show me someone from a single family home and I will show you a convict".

I would say poverty and abuse. What percent of people in prison for violent crime were abused as kids? Hurt people often end up hurting people.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:21 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,919,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this I do agree. Grandma also did say that some whites always want to feel happy that you love them no matter what they do (in regards to the blue).

She had a difficult time in her career as she was the only black person in an executive position in the company she worked for. So for Mathguy note, this is not some ignorant, project person that I'm speaking about. My grandmother was very well educated and well paid and I loved staying with her because compared to my parents she was "rich."

But she'd had a lot of difficult situations with white people, mostly due to the fact that she was born in the 1930s and spent a significant amount of her life living under a very racially oppressive system in America.

I do feel that in many ways, black people, we understand what racism is more than whites because we actually do experience it and have a history of experiencing it. Us saying you don't and that you have a "crazy" view of what it is and isn't, that idea in and of itself is not racist.

Various people on this thread have explicitly stated that black people have inferior:

1. Families
  2. Parents
  3. Attitudes toward education
  4. Spending habits
  5. Culture
Etc, just by nature of being black - as if all of the above are traits of which blacks are inherently inferior to whites about.

I find it interesting Mathguy that you'd take cause with me sharing my grandmother's POV (and she had some WAY more racist views of whites than that - IMO that was some of her common sense advice to me - to not let white racists bother me because they're crazy - I think you can admit that white racists are crazy lol and FWIW I do think they literally have psychological problems associated with delusions and paranoia about people of a different ethnic background and need some help)

Yet There are literally tens to hundreds of posts co-signing the inferiority of black people based on the list above. There are threads here every week that do the same yet many of you self proclaimed non-black posters ever say what this sort of view represents - racism in its simplest form.

ETA: I'll note that I did some research on WEB DuBois a few years ago and he also said that a significant amount of whites are ignorant about what racism is and does to the black populace of this country and that they are often racist and don't admit it. He was often lauded by white writers/commentators and called a racist against whites just because he provided an independent POV, as a black man about racism being directed against black people. So what Indentured Servant said is very correct. Often whites go on a defensive when black people express our views about whites and their racism. FWIW, for me, that is also a part of "the crazy" I spoke of above and which is why I don't take this stuff seriously. Only when black people do it, is it serious to me because I feel blacks holding an inferior view of ourselves is something that can cause huge damage to our demographic today and which is disrespectful to the legacy of our ancestors who sacrificed a lot for us to have the opportunities we have today.
It's not about what people say. It's about the truth. It's about being raised in an environment where children can learn. That doesn't happen nearly as often for those in single parent families vs two parent families.

You're talking 60+ years ago with your single data point because Grandma said? lol What does that have to do with today?
Explain to me why black unemployment was lower than whites up until the 1920's? So we're more racist now? lol
WEB DuBois made something up and we should give it credence just because he said? No proof, just because he said. WEB DuBois was black. He can't speak for white people. See what I did there?

"Often whites go on a defensive when black people express our views about whites and their racism."So when whites get defensive it's because they are white and racist and not about they disagree with the speaker or the issue? When one disagrees with a black person, they are racist???

You're exactly like the ones you are accusing of being racist.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 01-09-2019 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,849,549 times
Quote:
It's not about what people say. It's about the truth. It's about being raised in an environment where children can learn. That doesn't happen nearly as often for those in single parent families vs two parent families.

You're talking 60+ years ago with your single data point because Grandma said? lol What does that have to do with today?
Explain to me why black unemployment was lower than whites up until the 1920's? So we're more racist now? lol
WEB DuBois made something up and we should give it credence just because he said? No proof, just because he said. WEB DuBois was black. He can't speak for white people. See what I did there?

On the bold - you say this a lot. I remember you asking me this before. And I'll repeat that prior to 1920 whites forced black to work under threat of death in the south where a majority of the black population lived. Also statistics prior to the 1960s aren't reliable information. You should step away from your blogs and read some books.

Gist of my post was the fact that you and others often post racist things about black people because you truly do believe we are inherently inferior people compared to Asians and whites. Point is that that is an example of "they crazy" that my grandmother told me about and I took that lesson to heart and don't let crazy people with their paranoid/delusional beliefs of millions of people based on melanin levels of skin have any effect on my own psyche cause crazy people by nature don't make much sense.

On the blue, if you honestly believe all the things you've posted on this forum about black people and our inferiority (in everything it seems you post about) then you are one of those folks who don't like to admit you are racist. That is the truth. Believing an entire group of people, or even a significant majority are inferior to another group of people based on their ethnicity/race is racism.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,924,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
LOL...what percentage of people from single family homes end up in prison? You can't convince me that single family homes is the problem is less than 5% of people from single parent homes end up in prison. In other words, why don't 95% or more of people from single family homes end up in prison? It's like you are telling me...."show me someone from a single family home and I will show you a convict".

I would say poverty and abuse. What percent of people in prison for violent crime were abused as kids? Hurt people often end up hurting people.
I would bet a large percentage of those who were abused did not end up in prison either. The fact is the large majority of us don’t end up in prison does not mean that certain circumstances makes someone more likely to gets to prison.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:28 AM

18,491 posts, read 15,298,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You do have a subconscious....you know? That is where most things get stored....even without you consciously thinking about it.
And?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:

You ignored this the first time you asked....so you are going to have to ignore it again and every time you ask that question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRNumP85wEE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies