Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It has taken far more lives than all people any illegal aliens have killed or hurt.

So if Trump can go around Congress for the wall, get ready for the next D president to go full force on confronting the national epidemic of gun violence.

I didn’t want an expansion of executive power, but you cons seem ok with it to further your pet projects. You’ll have to bear that position in mind when the shoe is on the other foot.
gun violence (actually all violence) is on the decline for the last few decades

will you guys address the actual illegal guns??

will you guys address the mental issues plaguing America...bet you wont, because liberalism is a mental disease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,703,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
There would be a shortage of coffins for years. I encourage the Left to try it.

So you are saying you would turn into a "thug"?

Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
In other words- “if you secure the border, we’re taking away your 2nd amendment”. How does it feel to be such an ass?
I don't think that is the thinking of most Lefties or Dems.

It's more like, "If you can call anything a National Emergency just to get your project done, then so can we."

It doesn't look good on either side. Everyone, including DJT himself knows that the wall is not a valid emergency. If it was, he would have declared it two years ago. He stated himself that he'll wait, and if he doesn't get his way, he'll call it an emergency to get his way. That's crazy.

You don't want Dems doing the same to gun violence, and neither do I.
Many can argue that our national healthcare system is an emergency, but I don't think this is they way to get it done either.

The point is this: If you think Leftist agenda is a bad idea, than you sure as heck don't want to set a precedence that says that you can call almost anything an emergency to bypass congress. It is a bad idea, no matter WHO is in the whitehouse.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:19 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Hahahahaha
Make suicide illegal. Or what.... they get the death penalty?
Of course the rational answer is to make suicide harder to complete; but you aren't looking for rational answers, right? It is the ready access to guns that makes the USA's suicide-by-gun rate 8 times higher than any other modern industrialized nation.

Most gun advocates as far as I can tell could not care less. As long as they have ever increasing and unregulated access to their toys, that is all that matters. And the fun part for them is that their hobby is protected by a Constitutional amendment.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:22 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Motor vehicle deaths are the most prevalent. Ban motor vehicles.

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/images/lc..._1100w850h.jpg
Motor vehicles are regulated, you have to have a license to operate one, and it can be revoked if you abuse that license. You have to carry insurance to operate one, and you are liable for damage that it causes to others.

I think that most (not all) people would agree with you that this would be a good start to addressing the issue of Gun Violence WITHOUT banning guns.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Motor vehicles are regulated, you have to have a license to operate one, and it can be revoked if you abuse that license. You have to carry insurance to operate one, and you are liable for damage that it causes to others.

I think that most (not all) people would agree with you that this would be a good start to addressing the issue of Gun Violence WITHOUT banning guns.
and yet many are on the roads with suspended or revoked licenses

https://www.pressconnects.com/story/...york/92055520/

Police and judicial agencies in New York tallied more than 15,431 convictions in 2014 for people caught at least once behind the wheel with a revoked license. More than 3,600 of those were for repeat offenders, according to a USA Today Network analysis of the most recent data compiled by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
The results are often tragic and extend well beyond New York state.
Nearly 17 percent of drivers involved in fatal car crashes nationally had invalid licenses

=============================

its already illegal to kill someone

do you really think putting laws on top of laws, on top of laws is the answer ...nope... try enforcing the laws that are all ready on the books

Old 02-15-2019, 11:26 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Many people live their entire lives without ever owning a gun, none the worse for wear. Not true of automobiles, you would be hard pressed to find someone who has never used one.

Apples/oranges.
Actually, it is true of automobiles. Many of those who live in large cities/suburbs and those who live in small towns never have any need for a car. They walk, bicycle, or take public transportation (buses, commuter rail).

When I lived in the Cook County suburbs of Chicago, I had jury duty every once in a while in the Daley Center. You know, the Chicago building that has the Picasso sculpture in front of it. Walked to the local Metra station (commuter rail), rode that into Union Station, and either walked or took a bus to the Daley Center. Why? Parking a car in that area of the Loop was about $30/hour. It's $38/hour now.

I live in a small coastal town now on the east coast. I'm about 1.25 miles from the center of town which has the local shops, grocery, hardware store, bank, etc. I regularly either walk or bicycle into town when I need something. We even have Uber if you need it, but it's pricey.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Of course the rational answer is to make suicide harder to complete; but you aren't looking for rational answers, right? It is the ready access to guns that makes the USA's suicide-by-gun rate 8 times higher than any other modern industrialized nation.

Most gun advocates as far as I can tell could not care less. As long as they have ever increasing and unregulated access to their toys, that is all that matters. And the fun part for them is that their hobby is protected by a Constitutional amendment.
Speaking of, you are hardly a rational person if you think a gun is a toy.
People have a right to take their own life. Hell, it's legal to kill your own child so long as it's still inside you.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Deaths due to gun violence are negligible compared to population, it's not an issue.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:31 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Deaths due to gun violence are negligible compared to population, it's not an issue.
Neither is crime by illegals then. Thanks for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies