Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 11:20 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
It's like you are totally unaware of history

https://www.history.com/news/when-po...apal-apologies

The world is moving on from this backwards ass thinking that homosexuality is a sin and homosexuals should be shunned.

This backwards ass thinking should be called out at every turn. Let those who held those beliefs (cast the first stone) repent and ask forgiveness and come live with us in the 21st century
Oh, it can spread across generations; one a little less, next more so, and on to not at all. My parents, born 1920's, not only had a gay family member raising a child with her partner, but certainly family members who were divorced, re-married, and raising children "out of Catholic wedlock". If they cannot condemn their own, they will be less likely to condemn strangers for doing the same.

Example? My younger daughter's MIL is what I would call a religious fanatic. I know she is very unhappy about her grandsons not being baptized and raised in religion. Even worse is when my older gay daughter and her wife are in the house. Dead silence. She doesn't talk to any of us, me included. At least she knows enough to just bite her tongue because I will defend all of them, and throw back some quotes of my own from Catholic school. "Ye who is without sin be the first to cast the first stone".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 11:21 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Attendance is what keeps the collection plates full, though. The dropping attendance is what is leading to so many Catholic churches and schools closing. A parish can't survive if they can't fill the pews.

Isn't one of the reason that Catholic churches are closing is because of all the money they are paying out to cover the cost of lawsuits due to misconduct by their priest.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:47 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
It's like you are totally unaware of history

https://www.history.com/news/when-po...apal-apologies

The world is moving on from this backwards ass thinking that homosexuality is a sin and homosexuals should be shunned.

This backwards ass thinking should be called out at every turn. Let those who held those beliefs (cast the first stone) repent and ask forgiveness and come live with us in the 21st century
Good luck with that. The Church has changed and will continue to change. But that change will come from within. Not from those intent on attacking the Church at every turn for its beliefs.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 AM

293 posts, read 121,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Not from those intent on attacking the Church at every turn for its beliefs.
Their abhorrent beliefs should be attacked
Not ignored
Certainly not defended

Old 03-10-2019, 11:52 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Isn't one of the reason that Catholic churches are closing is because of all the money they are paying out to cover the cost of lawsuits due to misconduct by their priest.
No, they are closing because attendance is down. I was on the school board of my local Catholic grammar school for two years back in the '90s, and the dropping enrollment in the school was the big issue. We tried to keep the school solvent by consolidating classes and cutting out music and art and gym classes, but it ended up closing a few years after I left the board, and being merged into three other surrounding parish schools.

There were six Masses every Sunday and one on Saturday night when I was growing up, and they were all full. Now there are two Sunday Masses and the church is not even half full. The Catholic Church is dying in this country. Now whether or not their shielding of pedophiles in their clergy played a role, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Their abhorrent beliefs should be attacked
Not ignored
Certainly not defended
Again, good luck with attacking a private organization that no one forces you to associate with or join.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:05 PM

293 posts, read 121,164 times
Quote:
Again, good luck with attacking a private organization that no one forces you to associate with or join.
Thank you
Don't need luck
Have truth

Old 03-10-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you
Don't need luck
Have truth
How'd that work out with attacks against Chick fil a? Backfired majorly, and the business continues to grow tremendously. And it will backfire here. But, if it makes you feel better, by all means.

By the way, you have "your" truth. I may agree with your truth, but that is my belief.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:16 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
How'd that work out with attacks against Chick fil a? Backfired majorly, and the business continues to grow tremendously. And it will backfire here. But, if it makes you feel better, by all means.

By the way, you have "your" truth. I may agree with your truth, but that is my belief.
It's attitudes like this that are hastening the demise of the Catholic Church. The younger generations don't share your archaic views of gays and have abandoned the Church in droves because of how backwards it is.

But you keep sticking to your beliefs and support an institution that demonizes people for being the way God made them. You can feel good about that bigotry as you watch your Church sink into well-deserved oblivion.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:22 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If anyone read the Rev.'s letter it might shed a little light on his approach to this. Like it or not there are rules in the Catholic church that they must follow and the diocese is in control and none of this will change overnight. No matter how much you want it to do so.
this is not Christ's rule.

this kind of nonesense and more I could go into has stopped my volunteering for church events though I was very active at one time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies