Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What I have noticed is a sense of losing patience...

There is so much in the way of problems and backward thinking that the Baby Boomers, for example, simply "kicked down the road," the younger generation is starting to think that the "centrist" approach simply retards the progress that's long overdue.

Beyond the generalities, however, we'd have to look at these chosen "ideologies" and decide which are appropriate, which are not and why. Most of the younger generation promoting progress like most next generations do, albeit very incrementally as a rule, are usually on the side of right all considered...
It is never correct to silence freedom of opinion simply because one party believes it to be wrong.

I recall Americans that adopted a French philosopher's motto of, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

That WAS the cornerstone of American ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When I think about the stupidity we have, my head hurts. And those who are the dumbest scream the loudest.

When it comes to understanding politics, I think alot of us don't know what we should know. I'll admit to not knowing everything I should. However, I will try to learn. What gets me are those who just keep screaming crap for the sake of it. It isn't just ignorance that is costly. It is the individuals who know they don't know and don't care. It is the individuals who don't want to know better.
Some people, in particular some younger frustrated people today, feel that those who are the smartest don't scream loud enough, and the problem much like that expressed by the protesters pushing against the the government in Hong Kong, after trying peaceful means they find if they don't "make noise" they are ignored.

What do you do when it seems we're going backward in many important ways and those in power seem to be ignoring you? You and the important warning signs about going backwards instead of forwards?

Old 07-05-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
It is never correct to silence freedom of opinion simply because one party believes it to be wrong.

I recall Americans that adopted a French philosopher's motto of, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

That WAS the cornerstone of American ideology.
I feel very strongly about freedom of speech, and I resent any conservative who tries to argue that efforts to subvert freedom of speech are somehow liberal when typically it is the status quo that has many ways to subvert if not suppress the voices that they don't want heard. Conservatives love this tactic too!

There can be millions of people marching peacefully in the streets about some injustice and what does the conservative do? He focuses on the pizza box lit on fire or the broken window as if representative of the whole group, typically not knowing what the protest is really all about in the first place.

Not like I haven't thought about this some...

"Without truth, democracy is hobbled."

And I too will "defend to the death" our freedoms in these regards, just as I am inclined to counter the suggestion that protest is the want to "silence freedom" when it's far more complicated than simply where and when things might get out of hand or uncomfortable for those of us watching on TV in our comfy chairs.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
The title makes no sense. Liberals are on average more intelligent, so they surely understand others more easily. But they just don't like conservative views. I totally understand conservative people, it is not difficult, but I just don't share their views at all in most regards. I don't like conservative people, I try to keep them out of my life.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:16 PM

926 posts, read 417,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The title makes no sense. Liberals are on average more intelligent, so they surely understand others more easily. But they just don't like conservative views. I totally understand conservative people, it is not difficult, but I just don't share their views at all in most regards. I don't like conservative people, I try to keep them out of my life.
Given your arrogance, I'm sure they try to keep you out of their lives, too.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:19 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Given your arrogance, I'm sure they try to keep you out of their lives, too.
Hopefully. We should divide the world into liberal and conservative regions rather than countries. I have much more in common with and interest in a liberal Indian or Nigerian than with/in a conservative person from the country I live in.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You remind me of my nephew...

My nephew is extremely liberal. On the day Trump got elected, he got himself a "F**k Trump" pin, and he has worn it EVERY DAY ever since. I once asked him if he had any Republican friends (like I do), as we talked about understanding alternative point of view, and he quickly replied, "No, and I don't want any Republican friends."

Old 07-06-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Hopefully. We should divide the world into liberal and conservative regions rather than countries. I have much more in common with and interest in a liberal Indian or Nigerian than with/in a conservative person from the country I live in.
I happen to live in a very liberal area. The only county in the Bay Area that went with Sanders over Hillary. However, I like diversity. Perhaps another difference between me and lots of conservatives. I have very good conservative friends I'm very proud and happy to call my friends. My preference for diversity includes diversity of opinion as well however. That said, there is some diversity of opinion that I view as very much a problem for America. Backward opinion that I find more common among conservatives vs liberals. Beyond a doubt...

Old 07-06-2019, 11:08 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
The meaning of "conservative" and "liberal" have evolved, not necessarily for the better. In America, the modern conservative moment is dominated by belief that the country is beset by attacks, both from without and within. The response has to be aggressive, and thus, un-conservative. The modern liberal movement is meanwhile a backlash to the original backlash... that is, a backlash to the conservative response to the original New Deal and the transformations of the 60s and 70s.

As an avowed "globalist", I struggle in understanding either party. Both strike me as being hidebound defenders of unworkable and undesirable value-systems. Both, in my view, offer retrograde and false solutions. Liberals occasionally recognize the more pressing problems, but their solutions are bunk. Conservatives disavow the actual problems, instead erecting false ones.

Here's a question for both parties: why the incessant screaming about the "middle class"? It's middle class this, and middle class that. Why?

Old 07-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The meaning of "conservative" and "liberal" have evolved, not necessarily for the better. In America, the modern conservative moment is dominated by belief that the country is beset by attacks, both from without and within. The response has to be aggressive, and thus, un-conservative. The modern liberal movement is meanwhile a backlash to the original backlash... that is, a backlash to the conservative response to the original New Deal and the transformations of the 60s and 70s.

As an avowed "globalist", I struggle in understanding either party. Both strike me as being hidebound defenders of unworkable and undesirable value-systems. Both, in my view, offer retrograde and false solutions. Liberals occasionally recognize the more pressing problems, but their solutions are bunk. Conservatives disavow the actual problems, instead erecting false ones.

Here's a question for both parties: why the incessant screaming about the "middle class"? It's middle class this, and middle class that. Why?
I've got to sign off now, but before I do I have to wonder who is doing all the "incessant screaming" about what. Seems this too is a common claim these days, about all variety of issues in America today...

Who knows? Is my next probable answer, but if it's a matter of focus, why not the "middle class?" Statistically speaking, the "middle class" represents about half of Americans. That's a lot of Americans, so maybe it's just a concern about how lots of Americans are actually doing. Add those below middle class, and that's a whole lot more Americans for whom we'd all like to think the "American dream" is possible.

Not sure how many people are also doing the "incessant screaming" about the top 1 percent, but they too are hard to ignore from the standpoint of how our economy is working and for whom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies