Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You don't have to live in a gated community. If you are middle-class, then you simply don't see most of these things in American society. They are largely out of sight out of mind.

For example, the homicide rate in middle-class areas of America averages only around 1.2 per 100,000. So, in spite of all the talk about America's high crime rate, people who live outside of low-income urban areas almost never see any violent crime.

It is a situation where people who earn more money effectively buy themselves out of the ills that affect the lower socioeconomic strata. I suppose it works this way in a lot of other countries too.
Just because something is out of sight and out of mind, doesn't mean it doesn't exist and it doesn't mean its not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 05:12 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
"Exceptionalism" isn't about America being PERFECT. It is about the concept and founding of a country based upon merit, and not about your FAMILY, or Royalty by birth. It is also the concept of CITIZENS having Natural Rights as humans upheld and guaranteed by the Constitution, and having SOME say in their representation in government.

OP. Take a Civics and History course. Get some education before you post nonsense.
Well said. When one is a citizen of a country one has certain rights. The right to excel, the right to achieve and liberty to do so. A member of my family immigrated from another country just so he would be judged on the quality of his work...and he has succeeded here.

No one ever said America was perfect. But we strive for heroic deeds...and whether that makes you hopeful ...of god forbid envious....we are proud to represent a country which would not settle, that fought and died for our ideals of freedom.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:14 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
For the Trumpies here taking up for "American Exceptionalism", here is your orange god in 2013 praising his buddy Vladimir for criticizing the term when Obama used it.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...m-american-exc
I'll tell you frankly, when i and others read your post, we know that you've never pushed beyond your own limitations. Aim high.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:23 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I'll tell you frankly, when i and others read your post, we know that you've never pushed beyond your own limitations. Aim high.
Who is "Frankly" and how does anyone, especially you and those "others" you presume to speak for, pretend to know the socioeconomic, intellectual achievements status of the poster referred to as not being "pushed beyond their limits"?

Old 06-26-2019, 05:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
So in your mind "American Exceptionalism" does not work when pushed by Obama? Is it just Obama? Or is the American left banned from "Exceptionalism"?

Same old right myth. The right always and invariably lies when the tell what the left beliefs or thinks.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:12 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I'm just gunna keep believing we are the best because it beats the alternatives. We can still improve, but so can everyone else.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
[/b]

Now, that's where you go entirely off the rails lumping "universal healthcare" in with "free housing" and suggesting they're both fluff that supposedly all people in foreign countries seem to care about and only "some malcontent Americans " care about.

Based upon that statement alone; you've shown total incompetence to adjudge what foreigners care about and therefore incapable of determining American exceptionalism. You can hardly claim exceptionalism if you have no freak'n idea about what makes other countries great.

"Some" perhaps perusing these very boards, even with their obvious right wing bias would serve to show great interest in a universal healthcare or single payer system with absolutely no linkage whatsoever to "free housing".

You just make this nonsense up in your head and expect people to give it import.
There is a thing you see a lot on this and other boards. It's my opinion! I have a right to my opinion! Sure, of course you have a right to your opinion. That does not make it a GOOD opinion, an opinion on merit or in any way based on facts or reality. A lot of conservative opinion is based on fantasy, not reality. Or a wistful desire for the way they think things should be.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm just gunna keep believing we are the best because it beats the alternatives. We can still improve, but so can everyone else.
What is the alternative? Not being "the best" whatever that even means? What is so bad about that?

This speaks to a post I made a few minutes ago. Fantasy land is better than reality, even when the fantasy does not even make sense. What is this, a football game?

Old 06-27-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Well said. When one is a citizen of a country one has certain rights. The right to excel, the right to achieve and liberty to do so. A member of my family immigrated from another country just so he would be judged on the quality of his work...and he has succeeded here.

No one ever said America was perfect. But we strive for heroic deeds...and whether that makes you hopeful ...of god forbid envious....we are proud to represent a country which would not settle, that fought and died for our ideals of freedom.
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore."

hmmmmm so very not settling in our ideals of freedom these days. Makes me proud. /s

Old 06-27-2019, 04:39 AM

59,109 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Many of the things I listed does effect mainstream Americans, matter of fact most of what I listed effects mainstream Americans. Lower income Americans are still Americans, they share this country with middle and upper class Americans. So their health and social outcomes will have a strong impact on the outcome of the country as a whole.

True, but we still share a common space with many of these people and their life outcomes have an effect on all of us.
"and their life outcomes have an effect on all of us"

What is the old saying, "Am I my brother'e keeper?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies