U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 10:17 AM
 
1,081 posts, read 187,852 times
Reputation: 634

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Solution?
I have no clue. I donít think anyone has put forward a plan or at least a outline on how to address it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 10:29 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,006 posts, read 11,878,186 times
Reputation: 10959
biden has so much ammo and he uses none of it.


The CBC was for 'mass incarceration' as it is now known. biden backed the CBC!!!!!


So stick that in their face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:43 AM
 
302 posts, read 119,110 times
Reputation: 434
Well for one, non-violent offenders (like illicit drug users) are given a "scarlet letter" that seriously hampers their ability to get meaningful employment after their sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:49 AM
Status: "Make sure you include me in your manifesto" (set 22 hours ago)
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
8,192 posts, read 3,208,441 times
Reputation: 14737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I have no clue. I donít think anyone has put forward a plan or at least a outline on how to address it.
And there's the problem. We have so many arguments over who is to blame for what but we never get past that point to talk about what to do about it, or if we do, that part of the discussion gets so mired down in the context of blame that it becomes counterproductive.

Also keep in mind that solved problems cannot be exploited by politicians nearly as effectively as ongoing problems can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Bran's tree
11,151 posts, read 4,910,173 times
Reputation: 12462
The problem with being heavy handed with jailing people is that they then have a record, and then even if they do want to change for the better, they can't because they'll be pretty much barred from society (renting, finding a good job, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:59 AM
 
62 posts, read 11,260 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
There are neighborhoods where mostly black people live that have massive crime problems. How does removing the criminals from those neighborhoods harm black people? If anything it helps. I used to live in such a neighborhood and I would have been glad to see any criminal removed from the streets.
Becuz many times they are locking up kids' fathers, half the time over non-violent non-serious offenses and they get long sentences for that. Those kids grow up without a father, the mother gets by without financial support of the father. What you think that boy is guna due his mom working hard and still broke and dont have any father figure in the household, join a gang for support , sell drugs for money, something like that. Its a broken family and a continous cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:00 AM
 
12,012 posts, read 17,543,971 times
Reputation: 6109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think you're misunderstanding what's being referred to. There have been laws that resulted in the mass incarceration of black males. Bill Clinton's three strikes law incarcerated millions of black males.

I know people don't want to hear this, but studies have shown that sentencing is much harsher for black males than it is for other groups. Justice isn't blind. The end result is incarceration of people for piddly marijuana possession. Tulsi Gabbard referenced Kamala Harris doing this during the debate last night.

I guess numerous blacks should have bunted after 2 strikes.

If sentencing is much harsher, perhaps an innovative solution like ... Not Committing a Crime... might be considered by all of these criminals who should not be punished.

The vast majority of convicts, black, white, whatever, are not put in maximum security prisons because they puffed on some reefer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
21,131 posts, read 10,181,572 times
Reputation: 20426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I guess numerous blacks should have bunted after 2 strikes.

If sentencing is much harsher, perhaps an innovative solution like ... Not Committing a Crime... might be considered by all of these criminals who should not be punished.

The vast majority of convicts, black, white, whatever, are not put in maximum security prisons because they puffed on some reefer.


So without doing any research, you just dismiss facts.

You sound smart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:35 AM
Status: "Quo Fata Farunt" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Self explanatory
11,778 posts, read 4,980,972 times
Reputation: 15788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
You could read one of a hundred books on the subject. Or you could just post here and argue to fill your day.

The choice is yours: knowledge vs waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:17 PM
 
12,012 posts, read 17,543,971 times
Reputation: 6109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So without doing any research, you just dismiss facts.

You sound smart!
I might the same about you.

Rather, I would urge you to reread it. I did not challenge your facts. I merely said if what you say is true, then there is a painfully simple solution to counter it.

Put more simply, if a fella keeps sticking his head in a hole and getting hit by a club, common sense dictates he stop sticking his head in that hole.

Put even more simply, stop committing crimes. A criminal who faces a biased justice system is still a criminal.

And not a very smart one.

Like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top